Controversial Fashion Editorials

How would the victims* find this offensive? It had nothing to do with the victims* themselves..... The editorial spoke to "suspenseful travelers" (or in its case, suspenseful skinny gorgeous models :sneaky:).

This editorial was just a twisted representation of how the federal government had handled the attack, when they dramatically increased Airport security. Many people including Americans found the new security procedures a bit ridiculous. I am not saying that the new regulations were wrong but a lot of people found them unnecessary or at least inconvenient.

Not to mention that on the aftermath of 9/11, there were a lot of people who were wrongly accused, abused and/or killed. That's why I loved that editorial and its mere hyperbole was quiet smart and refreshing!

I hate that I am including the victims in this response, as if they are such a trivial matter because they are not. But I just wanted clarify my point.

It was released on 9/11's anniversary. Obviously a statement about 9/11 was being made, and not just "airport security." ...

It was released on 9/11's anniversary. Obviously a statement about 9/11 was being made, and not just "airport security." ...

A bit naive eh? Do you honestly think that the statement was directed towards the victims of the 9/11 incident? Can you enlighten me on what type of "statement" it was?

That we are creating a police state and willingly destroying our own freedoms in exchange for the illusion of safety.

You've articulated it in the way I wanted to convey it; exactly!

Which is why I asked tinyowl how would the victims of the incident be offended of Meisel's editorial? What particular statement would cause the victims of the 9/11 incident to be offended? I thought the editorial left a strong message that many dare not say out loud!

You've articulated it in the way I wanted to convey it; exactly!

Which is why I asked tinyowl how would the victims of the incident be offended of Meisel's editorial? What particular statement would cause the victims of the 9/11 incident to be offended? I thought the editorial left a strong message that many dare not say out loud!

I thought that an editorial having to do with airport security being released on a 9/11 anniversary, being that the tragedy had EVERYTHING to do with airport security, was really insensitive and should have been released on a different date.

I thought that an editorial having to do with airport security being released on a 9/11 anniversary, being that the tragedy had EVERYTHING to do with airport security,

I think it had nothing to do with airport security.

was really insensitive and should have been released on a different date.

But if 9-11 hadn't happened, we wouldn't have made all those idiotic "security theater" decisions, nor put all that useless infrastructure into place, all of which does absolutely nothing to protect anyone.

Thus it was the perfect date to publish it, as the message is directly about our (stupid) reactions to 9-11.

Who could forget this one?

vogue-paris.jpg

I loved this. LOVED. I think Thylane was covered up appropriately and obviously wanted to be there. If she has dreams and wants to model, who is to stop her? I think we should all be jealous that she got a shoot in French Vogue when most of us will never be in a magazine.

I loved this. LOVED. I think Thylane was covered up appropriately and obviously wanted to be there. If she has dreams and wants to model, who is to stop her? I think we should all be jealous that she got a shoot in French Vogue when most of us will never be in a magazine.

I was so divided about it before, but I've come to love it too. :) The way I see it, it was like they were saying, "hey guys, here's a child in sexy clothing. What's the difference between this and the kids you see on the streets?" I think it's a very intelligent photo shoot, once you calm down and get past the whole pedophilia association.

Marithe-Francois-Girbaud.jpg

I like this one, as well as most other modern last supper parodies.

Reactions: 1 user
This one makes me think of Anna Karenina. Maybe controversial because the girl seems about to commit suicide by train?

I don't see it as too controversial. Suicide is a big issue with teens/young adults, and people need to be able to talk about it. The hush-hush isn't going to help anyone. And yes, Anna Karenina and the train is classic.

This one makes me think of Anna Karenina. Maybe controversial because the girl seems about to commit suicide by train?

I don't see it as too controversial. Suicide is a big issue with teens/young adults, and people need to be able to talk about it. The hush-hush isn't going to help anyone. And yes, Anna Karenina and the train is classic.

People were also against it because of the safety of Hailee :rolleyes:

"Because the ad showed Hailee Steinfeld, who was 14 years of age only when the photo was shot, in a potentially hazardous situation sitting on a railway track, we concluded the ad was irresponsible and in breach of the code in showing a child in a hazardous or dangerous situation," they ruled.

Prada (owner of Miu Miu) argued lounging on abandoned train tracks wasn't unsafe since Hailee
"could have easily moved from where she was sitting because she was not restrained in any way."

I thought this photo shoot was quite disturbing and yet I couldn't stop watching.

Karolina Kurkova and Crystal Renn by Steven Klein for Interview Magazine March 2012

Karolina-Kurkova-and-Crystal-Renn-by-Steven-Klein-for-Interview-Magazine-March-201201.jpg

Karolina-Kurkova-and-Crystal-Renn-by-Steven-Klein-for-Interview-Magazine-March-201202.jpg

Karolina-Kurkova-and-Crystal-Renn-by-Steven-Klein-for-Interview-Magazine-March-201203.jpg

Karolina-Kurkova-and-Crystal-Renn-by-Steven-Klein-for-Interview-Magazine-March-201204.jpg

Karolina-Kurkova-and-Crystal-Renn-by-Steven-Klein-for-Interview-Magazine-March-201205.jpg

Reminds me of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." I actually LOVE Kurkova here ---she is so cold. I think, besides perhaps the violence/nudity, the actual face Renn is making is too distraught and realistic to be appropriate...
It is artistic ---but a little too disturbing for frashion IMO. It just hopped that little line between getting me a little uneasy and making me feel awful for the subject...

Lets not forget:

Terrible photoshop via Ralph Lauren :facepalm:
lauren.jpg

“For over 42 years we have built a brand based on quality and integrity. After further investigation, we have learned that we are responsible for the poor imaging and retouching that resulted in a very distorted image of a woman’s body. We have addressed the problem and going forward will take every precaution to ensure that the caliber of our artwork represents our brand appropriately.”

I remember this. Perhaps it's me (used to brazilian bikinis that don't cover a thing), but I thought it was exagerated because there is almost no skin visible! Or did she mean that stripe of skin on her belly?

That and the "cleavage" :rolleyes: