Constantly buying new clothes while losing?

N

Nala

Hey Girls,

maybe you can help me here.
So I lost 10 Kilos, the number on the scale isn't changing anymore, but I don't fit in my clothes anymore. I have clothes for like every state of weight I was in. But since I always was chubby I reached my limit: my smallest/tightest pair of jeans sits more and more lose and now I'm wondering: I can't really buy new clothes constantly? I don't have the money for it... How did you girls (who went from fat to skinny) manage it?

I'm just guessing, but probably dresses, tights etc. Those shouldn't change so much if you lose weight. You could always dress it up with belts, cardigans, or more layers.
I'm not fashionable (yet?), so I wear baggy clothes or sweaters, and thrift store items or hand-me-downs. :grin:

I spent way too much money on clothes when I was losing. I wish I just put up with I'll fitting clothes and spent it on my current weight. Get dresses from thrift stores and they will last you for many sizes.

Ebay! Buy stuff on ebay and sell it again when it gets too small :)

I am also having this problem. For my business professional pants and jackets, would I be better off selling those and buying new ones or just having them taken in?

Ahhhhh I think about this a lot. I've never had a paid job - always education or work experience - I never have much money. Part of my reason to lose weight was because since I couldn't afford new clothes, being skinny would make my old clothes look better on me! Haha. Plus my clothes were a bit on the tight side anyway and I couldn't afford a size up - not that I would by a size up anyway...

Ahhhhh I think about this a lot. I've never had a paid job - always education or work experience - I never have much money. Part of my reason to lose weight was because since I couldn't afford new clothes, being skinny would make my old clothes look better on me! Haha. Plus my clothes were a bit on the tight side anyway and I couldn't afford a size up - not that I would by a size up anyway...

Lol I get you. Always having a tight budget and ONLY size 0 or 00 jeans in my closet I kind of can't afford to gain too much haha but then there is always the loophole of skirts....they tend to be more forgiving...:confused:

If it's just a size too big, then maybe you could try shrinking it in the wash/dryer?

That's why I'm going to buy new jeans once I get to my goal weight which will take a few months. I'm actually fine with buying tops because my upper half doesn't need to lose weight, it is my bottom half that needs to lose weight.

Look for clothing stores that do a resell program where they buy the stuff you don't want/can't wear anymore and give you either cash or store credit back for what you trade in! It's been a total lifesaver for me as I changed sizes (and still am). Otherwise, I'm very dedicated to thrift stores - low prices, and if you find ones that do color-tag sale days or discount days, it's not uncommon to be able to score decent clothing on the extremely cheap. I have been doing this for years because I'm not terribly picky about getting everything new, and I have assembled a pretty decent wardrobe really cheap.

Otherwise, if you're creatively inclined and have a sewing machine, there are tons of great guides out there to teach you how to do alterations to almost anything, or you can make your own clothing. I whip out basic skirts in about 30 minutes each for the summer, and alter hems and stuff like that all the time, so while it took a while to learn how to do it, being able to sew has saved me a ton of headaches.

The last suggestion: see if you can find some girls at similar/smaller sizes to you and host a clothing swap! Have everyone bring their unwanted items in good repair and trade amongst yourselves. I did this once as an event while at college, and it was really fun and a basically free way to get a new wardrobe in trade for my old one. Almost everybody has stuff that doesn't fit or they are just tired of, and any leftovers can be donated to a thrift store or sold.

But I set a strict budget for clothing when I'm losing per month (usually $20), hit the thrift stores and trade-in shops, and stretch it as far as I can! Last month that managed to get me 3 shirts, 4 pairs of jeans and a dress, haha. I'm a big fan of living frugal, and that might be a little odd, but it works for me.

I'm still wearing my jeans even though some look like baggy pants now. My bf doesn't like it at all.
But I'm still overweight and want to lose a lot more and I know how frustrating buying jeans (especially jeans) have always been for me. Just because I'm 1-2 sizes smaller now doesn't make me skinny.

I think during fall I'm gonna stick with my dresses/skirts and wear them with tights and boots and cardigans. I can always wear a belt to make them a little bit tighter in the middle :D

But I set a strict budget for clothing when I'm losing per month (usually $20), hit the thrift stores and trade-in shops, and stretch it as far as I can! Last month that managed to get me 3 shirts, 4 pairs of jeans and a dress, haha. I'm a big fan of living frugal, and that might be a little odd, but it works for me.

Wow your my idol! I hate spending money on clothes, even though I really like clothes/fashion.
I work in a one of the biggest law firms in my city so I feel compelled to dress nice, even though everyone around me look like fat slobs. :lol:

My best friend bought me some jeans last Christmas and they're the most comfy, flattering, perfect fit pair I've ever come across. Unfortunately after a couple of weeks they were too big so I washed them at 70 degrees then tumble dried them at 90 degrees(celsius) for a good hour. They shrank about a size and a half but they stretch out by about half a size after a days wear. After every wash they go back to the size I shrank them to but now I'm smaller than I was when I shrunk them so even after washing they're too big...I can't bring myself to get rid of them even though they make me look like a cancer patient!

I actually plan on doing that with these jeans that I love :luv:
:highfive:
...actually my jeans always seem to shrink a little (maybe I stretch them out :( ?) so when I put them on and they don't feel like they've shrunk at all I'm happy :cool:

How do you do this exactly? Like at what temperature do you have to wash jeans to shrink them one size? :)
Um... I'm not actually an expert :oops: but I just use the hot cycle and if you have a load size make sure it's the smallest available, then go for the longest dry setting at the highest temperature.

Why I love where I come from: small sizes usually found and alterations are cheap (I got a skirt altered for around $5 and that was not a good deal)

Alright, thank you! :kiss: I'm going to try this :)
Good luck! I hope it works for you. If it's something new (or kind of new) just make sure it's been washed in cold water before if it's something like jeans so the color doesn't fade.