Comfy, Casual, Durable Shoes?

saladdays

Rookie
Jun 3, 2014
USA
So being a full time student who goes to an enormous research university, I probably walk about 2 or 3 miles a day easily. While it helps me stay slim (thank goodness) I am in desperate need of some durable sneakers to wear around campus. Note: I'm willing to sacrifice cuteness. I have so many blisters from so many painful shoes and I am looking for some general, day to day, sneakers. I know that this is a skinny girl sin to top all other skinny girl sins, but: I'm looking at keds. I really like the look of simple white canvas, the only thing is that I HATE the enormous KEDS logo on the back. Now it probably violates an SG code of ethics to suggest keds or ked like shoes on such a classy forum, but I'm desperate.

So my question is: does anyone know of any simple, casual, sneakers that semi - resemble keds? OR if you are a busy, active student who does a lot of walking in a hot climate (no boots, or I would be all over it) what shoes do you suggest? I hate that keds have become my last resort, but my feet are looking all kinds of banged up :( . Durability is pretty important to me too, as I go through so many pairs of shoes that can't take all the wear and tear on pavement. I would wear running sneakers, but I have pretty huge feet and running sneakers look so uncomfortably awkward on me in comparison to my tiny ankles.

I also walk around 3-4 miles a day and only wear comfortable shoes, but my personal style is kind of weird and different from most of the girls here so my advice may not be helpful. Anyway, I recently bought a great pair of Bass penny loafers with a thick lug sole and I can walk for miles in them. They're not the regular Weejuns, which always felt really rigid and uncomfortable whenever I tried them on. Mine have super soft leather that molds to my feet, and the insole is also leather and breathable so I can go without socks. Unfortunately I got them on ebay and I don't see them on the Bass website or amazon or anything, so you'll have to dig around to find a similar pair.
If you really like the look of canvas sneakers, though, I'd recommend Superga--they seem to have more a more stylish reputation than Keds and all the fashion bloggers have a pair. Of course, this means they're more expensive than Keds. But honestly, I don't think Keds are that bad, or that you should feel ashamed for wanting them. Plain white Converse are also pretty popular and comfortable.
Other than my loafers, I honestly just wear my Dr Martens everywhere, even during the summer.

I also walk around 3-4 miles a day and only wear comfortable shoes, but my personal style is kind of weird and different from most of the girls here so my advice may not be helpful. Anyway, I recently bought a great pair of Bass penny loafers with a thick lug sole and I can walk for miles in them. They're not the regular Weejuns, which always felt really rigid and uncomfortable whenever I tried them on. Mine have super soft leather that molds to my feet, and the insole is also leather and breathable so I can go without socks. Unfortunately I got them on ebay and I don't see them on the Bass website or amazon or anything, so you'll have to dig around to find a similar pair.
If you really like the look of canvas sneakers, though, I'd recommend Superga--they seem to have more a more stylish reputation than Keds and all the fashion bloggers have a pair. Of course, this means they're more expensive than Keds. But honestly, I don't think Keds are that bad, or that you should feel ashamed for wanting them. Plain white Converse are also pretty popular and comfortable.
Other than my loafers, I honestly just wear my Dr Martens everywhere, even during the summer.

Omg, i love supergas!!! These are exactly what I had in mind! Thank you so much for showing me!! 65 dollars is a little steep for tennis shoes, particularly since I'm going to want more than just one pair, so a quick q: any idea on the quality? I would be inclined to say very good, but just want to make sure! Thank you again!

Seconding the Converse shoes! I wear converse, but not the high tops, when not wearing nicer shoes. I do put Dr Scholl's insoles in them though, because I like to have some arch support.

I was going to suggest some white classic supergas, but see I've been beaten to it! If you can afford to, I'd get a pair in white and also a pair in black, especially now winter's coming and a) it's harder to accessorise with white shoes and b) the shitty weather makes black more practical.

As for the quality, I think they're good quality. I wash mine in the washing machine every few weeks to keep them white and they survive the washing machine very well (make sure to put the laces and shoes in a pillow case before washing though and only do it on a 30 degree cycle so they don't melt!)

As an alternative to supergas, other sneakers that don't sacrifice style too much are vans... similar deal to supergas but slightly more chunky in the sole.

I was going to suggest some white classic supergas, but see I've been beaten to it! If you can afford to, I'd get a pair in white and also a pair in black, especially now winter's coming and a) it's harder to accessorise with white shoes and b) the shitty weather makes black more practical.

As for the quality, I think they're good quality. I wash mine in the washing machine every few weeks to keep them white and they survive the washing machine very well (make sure to put the laces and shoes in a pillow case before washing though and only do it on a 30 degree cycle so they don't melt!)

As an alternative to supergas, other sneakers that don't sacrifice style too much are vans... similar deal to supergas but slightly more chunky in the sole.

I also like vans...I think they hold up pretty well and don't look awful. I actually own a few pairs.

I ordered some black supergas two days ago and can't wait! Thanks everyone xx

Oxford shoes from Steve Madden, hands down! Comfy, casual, durable aaaaand very chic! I own a pair and love it!
steve-madden-oxxfordjpg-a5d83856ae37009c.jpg

I hope that it's ok if I post in this thread, I didn't want to open a new one...

I am currently looking for a pair of comfy flats because I realized wearing 12cm-heels everyday isn't too go for my feet. I would like something to wear now in the spring, so no ballerinas. And I absolutely can't stand sneakers, especially those neon ones. so, what is left?

I found these pradas I really like
prada-540x360.jpg

however I absolutely cannot afford them. So far I have looked at numerous websites to find similar ones and the best I could get were these
image1xl.jpg

I am not 100% happy with them. So my questions to you are:

1. Do you know any similar shoes that are not too expensive?

2. generally: what do you think of the style? I can't decide whether they would look ridiculous on me as I am short or if they would look cute?

I hope that it's ok if I post in this thread, I didn't want to open a new one...

I am currently looking for a pair of comfy flats because I realized wearing 12cm-heels everyday isn't too go for my feet. I would like something to wear now in the spring, so no ballerinas. And I absolutely can't stand sneakers, especially those neon ones. so, what is left?

I found these pradas I really like
prada-540x360.jpg

however I absolutely cannot afford them. So far I have looked at numerous websites to find similar ones and the best I could get were these
image1xl.jpg

I am not 100% happy with them. So my questions to you are:

1. Do you know any similar shoes that are not too expensive?

2. generally: what do you think of the style? I can't decide whether they would look ridiculous on me as I am short or if they would look cute?

1. I think that I've seen a couple iterations of this style on yesstyle.com, as far as I can tell they range from $30 - $90 USD on that site. You can also check out Polyvore as a way to "crowd source" some store ideas and get an idea of the price range.

2. I don't have any positive/negative feelings about these shoes. I can tell you that most stores have a 14 - 30 day return policy (even for online purchases) so you can wear them around your house (you shouldn't return shoes you've worn outside) to make sure they're comfy and that they're something you can integrate into your wardrobe, so I would take advantage of that.

Supergas rec seconded! I love mine. However, this winter I've been living in flat black ankle boots (read: I wear them every.single.day) - they're just a super simple leather pair. I'm always running around and I've never had a problem with blisters or discomfort. I think the trick is buying very good quality (the best you can afford, really); if you find something well-made, chic and comfortable, it's so worth it.