Colour theory

L

Lisbeth

We were getting rather off-topic in the Kristen Stewart thread & I thought this deserved a thread of its own, so here it is.

Let me just quote lechevrefeuille:

http://www.prettyyourworld.com/colortheory.html

It's pretty addictive! Once you find out your coloring, you'll learn which colors suit you best. For example, Winters look great in strong colors like red and navy, and patterns with high contrasts like nautical stripes, while Summers look better in muted colors like pink and baby blue and low-contrast patterns like soft florals. When you wear the right colors, they bring out your features without requiring much makeup!

So, are you guys able to figure out what you are, spring, summer, autumn or winter? I'm not, I find this highly confusing! :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
So, are you guys able to figure out what you are, spring, summer, autumn or winter? I'm not, I find this highly confusing! :confused:

Thank goodness, I'm not alone. It was very confusing for me as well. Of course, I also have trouble with figuring out my face shape so I seem particularly slow when it comes to this kind of thing. :oops:

Thank goodness, I'm not alone. It was very confusing for me as well. Of course, I also have trouble with figuring out my face shape so I seem particularly slow when it comes to this kind of thing. :oops:

Haha! I'm with you. I tried every trick in the book for face shape...I traced it in the mirror with soap (fun to clean), I measured it, I pulled my hair back and thought about any Hollywood stars with my face (not many)..and all I've come up with is roundheartshapeishoval. :meh:

I DO know that I am an Autumn when it comes to the seasons...but funny enough...when it comes to something even simpler, like "cool" or "warm" skinned...can't do it. I assume warm since Autumn sounds pretty warm. But I love cold colors....so...yeah.

Wow..this is mostly a ramble, isn't it? Oops!

OMG, after making tons of analysis i know that! I'm deep winter! But now... what? I only know that i look better in cool colours...

OMG, after making tons of analysis i know that! I'm deep winter! But now... what? I only know that i look better in cool colours...
You are probably a cool winter if you look better in cool colors (blues, teal, indigo etc.) or a deep winter if deep colors suit you more (jewel tones like deep reds and burgundy, forest green, deep navy blue). There are several celebs you can look at to see what kind of Winter you are. Sophie Ellis Baxter and Megan Fox are Clear Winters, Kim Kardashian (ew, I know) is a Deep Winter and Brooke Shields is a Cool Winter.

More links you can check out:

http://www.thechicfashionista.com/your-best-perfect-colors.html

http://www.colormebeautiful.com/seasons/index.html

I don't get it. Every website gives me a different season.
Dear God, why did you make me a pale monster with ashy blonde hair? This is too confusing.

don't get it too. I'm so! confused. One site tells me i'm deep winter, another, that i'm maybe clear winter but the last told me, "hello autumn". Wtf.

don't get it too. I'm so! confused. One site tells me i'm deep winter, another, that i'm maybe clear winter but the last told me, "hello autumn". Wtf.

^^^ same. I have no idea what I am. this is really confusing, but would be really helpful if i could figure it out! :(

I don't think that we should really rely on that kind of stuff. I, for instance, look my best when I have a deep sun-kissed tan (during summer) since it brings out my green eyes and my hair get a bit lighter too (brown with reddish reflections) AND when I'm the total opposite (during winter I easily get super pale and have a more ethereal look). There's no way that we all have just one specific look that suit us, it depends of each and everyone of us.

I find the simplest thing is to see the contrast in your coloring.

Dark hair + pale-to-medium skin + dark eyes = Deep Winter
Dark hair + very pale skin + very light eyes = Clear Winter
Dark ashy hair + pale-to-medium skin with blue tones + dark-to-medium eyes = Cool Winter

I'll continue my post later once I get to my office, my carpool's almost here lol.

I have a neutral skin tone so I am deep autumn and deep winter. It's definitely worth figuring out your season even if you don't limit your color palette entirely. I just did a trial run for a friend's makeup for her wedding and I stuck to the color palette from her season (deep autumn) and it was THE MOST flattering makeup I have ever done. It looked simultaneously natural and glamorous. I don't even know how to explain it and not to toot my own horn but it was gorgeous, even her fiancé liked it and he typically prefers her without makeup. For those of you that keep getting different answers, it's possible that you're more than one. If you're having trouble figuring out if you're warm or cool all you have to do is look at your skin next to gold and next to silver. If silver looks better on you, you are cool. If gold looks better on you then you are warm. If both metals look equally good on you then you are neutral. Hope this helps!

African-American coloring can be Winters too.

Alek Wek is a Clear Winter as there is a high contrast between her skin and the whites of her eyes and teeth.

Examples of low contrast would be Summer and Autumn.

Blonde hair + fair-to-medium skin + light eyes = Light Summer (Naomi Watts, Cate Blanchett)
Blonde/ashy brown/red hair + cool-toned skin + any eyes = Cool Summer (Emma Stone)
Dark blonde/ashy brown hair + medium-toned skin (tanned or natural) + brown eyes = Soft Summer (Leona Lewis, Sarah Jessica Parker)

There is low contrast between the hair and skin (they can be almost the same shade even, on some people), hence low contrast, softer and muted colors look best on them. Winters have the highest contrast (very dark hair, very fair skin etc) so they need stronger colors and contrasting patterns like stripes or polka dots.

I found another helpful site: http://www.truth-is-beauty.com/index.html

I'm so confused by this :( If I have yellowish but very pale skin, blackish-brown eyes, and naturally mousy brown hair, I think I'm a warm something. Spring? Winter? All I know is that I look horrid in orange.

I'm supposedly a light summer... But that doesn't tell me which colors I should wear.

Omg I love this. I'm a clear winter, went back dark last year & instant comments. People liked my highlights but not that much, threw off my whole look. I got a lot of good info from thechicfashionista.com.
I use Revlon shade finder for m/u, have found some CMB color theory stuff to be off so far as that goes.

Omg I love this. I'm a clear winter, went back dark last year & instant comments. People liked my highlights but not that much, threw off my whole look. I got a lot of good info from thechicfashionista.com.
I use Revlon shade finder for m/u, have found some CMB color theory stuff to be off so far as that goes.