Coco Rocha Elle Brasil Cover and Then & Now discussion

C

carolina15

w2ipky.jpg

Coco Rocha has a pretty well-known no nudity or partial nudity policy when it comes to her modeling work–so it may have come as a surprise to her fans that the supermodel posed nearly topless for the cover of Elle Brazil. Turns out, it came as a surprise to Coco as well.

Apparently, Coco was actually wearing a flesh colored body suit under the sheer dress, which the magazine saw fit to photoshop out, despite her instructions to do otherwise. Obviously, the supermodel was none too happy about this, and took to her Tumblr to vent her frustration:

Quote:
As a high fashion model I have long had a policy of no nudity or partial nudity in my photo shoots. For my recent Elle Brazil cover shoot I wore a body suit under a sheer dress which I now find was photoshopped out to give the impression of me showing much more skin than I was, or am comfortable with. This was specifically against my expressed verbal and written direction to the entire team that they not do so. I’m extremely disappointed that my wishes and contract was ignored. I strongly believe every model has a right to set rules for how she is portrayed and for me these rules were clearly circumvented.
As an advisory board member to the Model Alliance, the issue of a model’s rights is obviously one close to Coco’s heart. And though this probably isn’t the first (or last) time a model’s rules were “circumvented,” it’s pretty rare that a model will actually speak out about it for fear of losing future jobs so we commend Coco for having the guts to say something to her millions of fans. Then again, perhaps the whole thing was a misunderstanding between the Canadian model and the Brazilian magazine’s team, who most likely did not share the same first language (we’ve reached out to Elle Brazil and are waiting for comment.)

What do you think?? is she exagerating or is right for standing for what she believes?. I can respect that she doesnt like to do nudes, but her restriction about editing the body suit its a bit too much? I mean can you imagine seenig the bodysuit in the pic, it would look bad.

I like some of her work but lately I feel everything is a "cause" for complaint, she gives this attitude of all mighty and such pristine morals,
She has become a bit annoying and over her head.

Reactions: 1 user
I see both points, in her defense if she gives a little here then they will take a little more each time.

On the other hand.... Did she not realize that the dress was sheer and what the ultimate concept would be? She has been doing this for sometime she had to know what they were aiming for, she could have said no to the dress an opted for something else to wear!!!

On the other hand.... Did she not realize that the dress was sheer and what the ultimate concept would be? She has been doing this for sometime she had to know what they were aiming for, she could have said no to the dress an opted for something else to wear!!!

Exactly. And anyway, why all this reservation about showing skin? The year is 2012, not 1812, Coco.

shes a model. your job is a glorified clothes hanger. she needs to get over herself its not like her goods are out....

Coco Rocha needs to get over herself, this is a great cover!

I respect that she doesn't want to do nude pics, but I just don't see how this crosses the line, it shows cleavage and i think I have seen runway pictures where she wore dresses that were just as revealing.

In fact i think this isn't the first time she got pissed about a shoot, she also said that she wouldn't work with photographer Terry Richardson again. (http://www.styleite.com/media/coco-rocha-wont-work-with-terry-richardson-ever-again/).
More pics from that shoot: http://takeallthepictures.blogspot.de/2012/01/coco-rocha-by-terry-richardson.html

I don't like her and i feel like if you are going to be that picky and upset about how you are portrayed, you're probably in the wrong business.

Reactions: 1 users
Boo-hoo. Poor little Coco puff. Let us girls join together to make a symphony of the world's smallest violins.:nopity:

I respect that she does not want to shoot nude, but I don't think this cover was really a big deal..

This is ridiculous.
There is no nuditiy, not even partially in this shooting, WTF? A revealing cleavage isn´t nudity.
Coco, please reconsider your job. Maybe you´re better off being a nun.

Is she for real?

How completely ridiculous.

Yeah, when I saw the cover I didn't even understand what she was complaining about. Still don't. If thats girlfriend's idea of nudity, maybe she should visit a nudist colony or something because her current definition just ain't right.

shes a model. your job is a glorified clothes hanger. she needs to get over herself its not like her goods are out....

:lol:

Yes, if she is not up for it, there are tons of girls out there (Fresh beautiful new faces) that would do it for half of the money or nothing at all... Take care of what you got Coco

Yeah, when I saw the cover I didn't even understand what she was complaining about. Still don't. If thats girlfriend's idea of nudity, maybe she should visit a nudist colony or something because her current definition just ain't right.

Exactly. I had to re-look at that cover no less than three times whilst reading her tirade trying to figure out how that can be construed as partial nudity - you know, along with trying to figure out when Coco became such a big powerful model that she actually thought they wouldn't shop out a body suit (which would ugly up the picture and that gorgeous dress).

I mean, I get not wanting to do nudity, but I don't see how as a model you can expect not to show any cleavage ever. Have you looked at fashion lately? Cleavage is in. Designers make clothes so that people will buy them. Models wear clothes to advertise them. If you don't want people looking at your body you shouldn't be a model!

She's a model. She does what her employer wants her to do, that's what she gets paid for. If she doesn't want to do it, they'll find someone else... she's not that special.

Ridiculous.

Coco seems to have something to say about everything these days.

I think her biggest issue with this was more the fact that she had specifically asked them to respect her boundaries as a model and her thoughts about posing "semi nude" but they did it anyways. That would tick me off a bit too.

She's a model. She does what her employer wants her to do, that's what she gets paid for. If she doesn't want to do it, they'll find someone else... she's not that special.

Ridiculous.

She already signed a contract for no nude or semi-nude photo-shoots which gives her every right to refuse her employer if they didn't meet the requirements of her contract.

There was a reason why she wore a bodysuit, she had no idea they'd photoshop it out.. It doesn't matter if this is portrayed as a nude, semi-nude photo or not. Different people see different perspectives. I wonder why they didn't just use another model though.

I think she has the right to images of her OWN BODY, and am sort of surprised that people here are bashing her for it. It isn't like she posed nude then complained about the shots. She is complaining that the shots have been photoshopped to appear to be wearing less clothing than she agreed to wear.

You are right, they did not have to hire her, and she did not have to accept. The agreement was done because she wore something she was comfortable with, and photoshopping it out is not cool. I don't care if you think it isn't progressive or whatever.

What isn't progressive is not respecting a woman's body when she has made clear her limits, pretending to agree to them, and then changing the image afterwards.

She gets to decide for herself what she feels is too revealing, and she gets to change her mind, and she gets to make the decision for her own body. If the employer does not agree then they do not have to hire her.