Coco Rocha Elle Brasil Cover and Then & Now discussion

I used to be obsessed with her. But I think she's getting to full of her self. But I guess, after having thousands of people telling you how amazing you are, how gorgeous you are, that it will get stuck with you after a while. It's hard to stay humble in a business like this I suppose.

Reactions: 1 user
BEING A MODEL IS A *JOB*, WHY CAN'T PEOPLE COMPREHEND THIS.

A job is where you get paid to fill a function. Not maintaining a certain weight because you "want a burger" is like saying, "I didn't do that project you told me to, Boss, because I didn't want to" and then still expecting to get more projects and to get paid.

She may be trying to score more points with the fatty-wish-fulfilment women brigade of "ooh, the poor starved models!", but it's just childish and pathetic. If you'd throw away a career for a burger you have deeper issues than a number on a scale.

But her complaining about the industry's standards has obviously not made an impact on her career. She doesn't even walk full fashion weeks anymore, even though she is not on the level of people who can get away with doing that and still stay relevant, yet she consistently snags campaigns and magazine covers. Like for F/W 2012, she already has Diesel and Longchamp and has gotten covers for Harper's Bazaar Singapore and Elle Brazil (and another cover, but it's irrelevant). Whereas someone like Alana Zimmer, who is one of the hardest working models in the industry and books runway shows and editorials left and right, is lucky if she snags even 1 decent campaign per season and is a hopeless cause with getting decent covers.

And that was just looking at Coco's career this season.

The times that were her "fattest" years also happens to be the years her career was at its peak. If anything, her career is starting to slow down as she loses more weight (although it is obviously too early to tell considering people thought Arizona and Joan were both going to be blips and that Gemma was going to be an icon). During the years when she was at her largest, she also booked the most prestigious campaigns of her career and more notable covers and editorials per year than in comparison to years when she was skinny.

I would normally agree with your statements, but obviously Coco is a special case. She knows she can get away with standing up for herself, which is why she does.

So referring back to your analogies, yes, Coco didn't lose the weight because she "wanted a burger", but yes, she did (and does) keep on booking work (more than most of her skinnier counterparts), and she did/does continue to get paid. And anyone with an ounce of knowledge about fashion can obviously see that she did NOT throw her career away. In fact, I think her career would've proceeded this way even if she didn't gain weight (which didn't even impact her career in any way besides making her illegible for runway shows, which doesn't even matter because the only reason models do runway shows is for campaigns, and since she obviously can book campaigns without runway, that argument is null and void in her situation.)

And my opinion on Coco Rocha as a model:
I think Coco is a talented model, but she only fits a certain niche: over the top. It is nice to see her energy in editorials and campaigns, but it gets old pretty quickly. Also, she sometimes crosses the line into tacky with her facial expressions and extreme posing. So I wouldn't want her to disappear completely from the industry, but I'd like for her to be limited to MG work only, so her energy forms a nice contrast with some other more subtle models.

Whereas someone like Alana Zimmer, who is one of the hardest working models in the industry and books runway shows and editorials left and right, is lucky if she snags even 1 decent campaign per season and is a hopeless cause with getting decent covers.

Why is that, do you think?

Why is that, do you think?

I honestly have no idea. There could be a ton of small reasons that all contribute to why someone as outspoken as Coco books more work than someone as hardworking as Alana. My best guess would be that Coco Rocha probably has more industry support, maybe from Steven Meisel considering he shot her for Diesel and 3 Vogue eds last year and 2 Vogue eds so far this year. I've never considered her a Meisel fave though so this is probably a long shot. Her success might also be due to the fact that she's famous for being over-the-top in her modeling, whereas Alana is only known for being runway filler. I hoped with the amazing Hermes campaign from a few seasons back that Alana had gotten her big break, but I guess she's destined to have a Hanne Gaby Odiele-esque kind of career :(

I hoped with the amazing Hermes campaign from a few seasons back that Alana had gotten her big break, but I guess she's destined to have a Hanne Gaby Odiele-esque kind of career :(

I loved it too :luv:. Life is unfair :(

BEING A MODEL IS A *JOB*, WHY CAN'T PEOPLE COMPREHEND THIS.

A job is where you get paid to fill a function. Not maintaining a certain weight because you "want a burger" is like saying, "I didn't do that project you told me to, Boss, because I didn't want to" and then still expecting to get more projects and to get paid.

She may be trying to score more points with the fatty-wish-fulfilment women brigade of "ooh, the poor starved models!", but it's just childish and pathetic. If you'd throw away a career for a burger you have deeper issues than a number on a scale.

:highfive: THIS. Couldnt agree more

Her weight loss suits her. She is way more high fashion now. But somehow I don't like her. She doesn't look like the kind of girl you want to get involved with (and I hope I don't offend anybody by saying this).

I really like her at the beginning but now I feel she is full of herself and believes her hype way too much, she wants to become the spokeperson of the saviour of modelling "know your rights, be yourself, be healthy" wich is a great thing but I feel it forced, fake and like a mascarade on her......Well I guess marketing strtegy, we all know modelling is a short career and models have to become their own product of some sort, like gisele and her healthy-ambietalist niche, or now anja that is editing her own magazine...they have to diversified to stay relevant modeling will never last forever.

And my opinion on Coco Rocha as a model:
I think Coco is a talented model, but she only fits a certain niche: over the top. It is nice to see her energy in editorials and campaigns, but it gets old pretty quickly. Also, she sometimes crosses the line into tacky with her facial expressions and extreme posing. So I wouldn't want her to disappear completely from the industry, but I'd like for her to be limited to MG work only, so her energy forms a nice contrast with some other more subtle models.

I agrre on this.
I notice how in all her work and eds she is like look "Ima great model, I over pose,oh here another over the top pose"

I agree that her facial expressions are over the top, but I kinda like her.

Seems like Coco lost a few pounds again. Maybe it's just the angle, but look at her arms and thighs.
tumblr_m7op5dPm8F1qeyuguo1_500.jpg

Vs. Magazine Autumn/Winter 2012
captured by Ellen Von Unwerth
Vs_CocoRocha.jpg

She comes off as a brat. She's pretty and everything but... Such an annoying little brat! :rolleyes:

I'm 5'10, Coco definitely weighed more than 110 pounds in 2008-9

Possibly more like 130

I doubt she weighed 150-170, that seems like a ridiculous exaggeration :rolleyes: My dad is in that zone and he's a lot bigger than her.

I agree that her facial expressions are over the top, but I kinda like her.

Seems like Coco lost a few pounds again. Maybe it's just the angle, but look at her arms and thighs.
tumblr_m7op5dPm8F1qeyuguo1_500.jpg

Her arms look good.

coco-rocha-loves-baseball-11.jpg

but...really? :wtf:

coco-rocha-loves-baseball-19.jpg

Coco has always struck me as a very conceited, self-centred, way-too-impressed-with-herself model. However, if I put myself in her shoes, I know I'd be upset too. She's really exaggerating, the cover is beautiful and there is no nudity. It may be semi-topless, but it looks classy.

However, I actually understand. She is not comfortable with nudity (I too think there is way too much nudity in the industry, in my opinion), why can't Elle Brazil respect that?

I know it is a job, and she should do what her client tells her to do, she has to accept that she picked this job and she has to take both the advantages and disadvantages about being a clothes hanger, but they absolutely ignored her and her beliefs. She shouldn't have been so mad (but I did expect that, I mean, come on! It's Coco Rocha, the most outspoken of all the models!), but Elle Brazil must have respected her a bit more. I actually think she is brave for doing that. Then again, her career is safe. I guess I don't like the fact that she's too angry, she should speak out, but in a more calm and graceful way.

Now that I have reflected about it, I don't agree nor disagree.

What the hell, they agreed to honor her terms and then they go and disrespect her like this?!?! I can see why she would be pissed as fuck. She doesn't even get paid a lot for getting the cover, and there's barely any prestige in getting the cover of a D-list magazine like Elle Brazil :rolleyes:

Personally I think her rules are ridiculous, but I think she's totally within her rights to stipulate whatever she likes about how her body's used, and in any case, a contract is a legal agreement and in that respect it is obviously wrong to break it.