Coats!

Golden ice

Super Star
Jul 28, 2012
NYC, USA
Okay, so where I am right now it is in the negatives (negatives in F (like below -18 C for those that use celsius)) so I'm kind of desperate for a warm winter coat. I want one that is warm enough for us skinnies, yet still stylish and fashionable - ideally a fur-lined wool one with a hood and a tie around the waist - that type of style rather than like a ski or puffer jacket. I don't really have $1,000 to spend on a coat, but I can afford one that is a few hundred bucks. I want to get one that will last a long time, and that is really good quality. Any tips/favorite brands?

I bought a parka from H&M for a good price, and I LOVE it! I'm not sure if it's still being sold (I can't find it on the website) but this one is similar. But the one I bought was $10 more and has a fur-lined hood. Their stuff is affordable and good quality, for the most part.

I got my leather jacket for £10 on eBay- retails at about £250 and it is perfect for the weather I'm in. You may be able to get quality pieces on the flea bay- but be discerning.

Depending on how fashionable your city is, you may have good luck at a Ross, or any store similar to it. (I know, I know.) Of the two I've visited in this state, I've noticed that when I lived in an actual city, the Ross there had clothes that I would actually wear, from good, skinny brands, as opposed to boring 'on trend' clothing like the kind I see in the one more out in the boonies. It might take a little while to find something, and separate from the size 13s, and size 2s (because that's basically the smallest size all the clothing will go, ugh), but you're likely to find something decent.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking looking through these - thanks for the suggestions though guys! @Butternut - do u have any tips for where I can look?

ManteauxManteaux in Quebec or Coatsco Canada everywhere else, not sure if they have it in the states? (I don't know where you live)

They are aimed at "older" women, but you can find some great gems there, that are warm, fashionable and functional. (As opposed to anything in a teen store)

They should also have sales at this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking looking through these - thanks for the suggestions though guys! @Butternut - do u have any tips for where I can look?

Well I'm perpetually freezing anyway, and I've accepted that I will probably be cold... well, forever :nopity:, so as long as I don't get sick, I'm ok with being cold. My current coat is a wool peacoat, which is an upgrade from the leather jacket I wore for the past 4-5 winters (just fyi, it was -20C here yesterday, def not warm). Also layer layer layer, try to drive/bus/stay indoors, and drink lots of hot liquids.

Sorry I'm not too helpful :oops: Canada Goose/Moose Knuckle make really warm winter coats (but ugly and overly trendy imo). My bf also wears a wool peacoat (I think Ralph Lauren?) - he layers with a sweater & scarf (usually Burberry) and he gets along fine.

I wear a wool pea coat most days. I layer like no ones biz. Long sleeve shirt, button up, sweater, scarf, coat. Plus thick socks, boots, and gloves. I have to walk everywhere!!

The longer North Face down puffer coats are nice too!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking looking through these - thanks for the suggestions though guys!

How do you girls not freeze to death???? Those are FALL coats :wtf:

Yea the asos one is a bit light weight :oops: I usually wear puffy jackets like goose or very long coats :(

sorry for spamming the thread but you can check out topshop, french connection, sandro paris, nordstrom and nordstrom rack, j crew, house of frasier, the bay, and just type in outlets on google in the city you're in that probably sell good designer stuff for lower prices :)

^^^ yea layering is key. heavy scarfs, fur socks, hats etc.

ZOOEY

@Butternut and @twirlingtozero - thank you so much! I found a brand, Soïa & Kyo, off of that coatsco site that has some really nice coats, went to their website, and found an XXS (last one:)) that is exactly the style I wanted! :).

How do you girls not freeze to death???? Those are FALL coats :wtf:
That's why my southern self prefers this :)

abrigo chulísimo.jpg