Charlotte Sedon

S

Selanis

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...tte-Seddon-who-lost-her-life-to-anorexia.html

I've read the article on some polish gossip site..of course followed byoutrage blaming the fashion world for their standards, etc etc..in comments section there.
I wonder why the media showcase tragedy of ill girl's death, further adding grief to her family..I wonder why media never focuses on the tragedies of the obese teens, suffering low self esteem and depression - sixbillionsecrets is full of such stories, yet they never get the press..I wonder why?
I guess for me it serves as reminder how precious life is and that obsession is the road going nowhere but down.

It's also funny how the "indicators" of eating dissorders posted by press focus on the food alone (which is often why pro-skinny attidute is associated wronlgy with ED) and not on the sadness and suffering..

I think these stories need to be told. Maybe this will make the girls glamorizing EDs rethink what they are doing. And this girl's story deserves to be heard. The article and comments say NOTHING about the fashion world so I don't know what you're referring to.

Im referring to comments on the polish gossip site which presented the story in the total opposite way than this article, but most of you wouldn't understand due to language barrier, so I linked this one which is fortunately in different tone.

http://www.fakt.pl/17-latka-przez-k...reksje-przed-rodzicami,artykuly,154727,1.html - some comments are just , there's article on pudelek aswell , but I guess they moderate the comments..though still, people's perception of eating disorders is years behind.
http://www.pudelek.pl/artykul/39686/17latka_zaglodzila_sie_na_smierc/

I guess our press still has a lot to learn from UK articles..

Fakt is just... special :)
I love the drama. All those... ellipses...so... professional.

I hate that most people still believe that anorexia is about being pretty.

It is special indeed but sadly it's what breed people mindsets.."Stupid vain girls" ..maybe some suffer in silence because of not being vain or stupid, as it is with case here - I wonder if those stereotypes were so strong that even with media campaign noone figured that smart, pretty girl could be suffering..It's kind of the same with depression I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
It is special indeed but sadly it's what breed people mindsets.."Stupid vain girls" ..maybe some suffer in silence because of not being vain or stupid, as it is with case here - I wonder if those stereotypes were so strong that even with media campaign noone figured that smart, pretty girl could be suffering..It's kind of the same with depression I guess.

I think you're right. All the anorexic girls I've known have been completely type-A personalities. Perfect grades, perfect friends, perfect hair and clothes and everything. Its not about being pretty, its about achieving this ridiculous standard of perfection. Many of the anorexics I've known have also had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and depression. And even more horribly, I've read girls who had ED and developed it as a response to some kind of abuse. This idea that they just aren't loveable or worth anything, that maybe if they don't eat they can disappear. Its very much not about vanity. Its really tragic, actually.

Reactions: 1 user
It's sad that it's those fragile and smart enough to see how cruel people are and world is that suffer -those that had all the tools to make the change got crushed. I've noticed that a lot of creative, thoughtful, warm, good people - suffer because of that, their standards, their way of thinking, seeing more than others makes them alone, and loneliness leads to suffering, one way or another.

I've also noticed that a lot of fellow gurls hold themselves to very high standards but try to stay positive while doing it , it's very encouraging. I sometimes feel quite lonely among other people here, but knowledge that you can make it into something positive is very encouraging. It's just sad that some girls never find the support that could save them.

It enrages me how articles talk about how dangerous ED's are and instead of focusing on the ED's and the poor victims themselves, comments are focused on how the fashion industry is to blame. Like, really? It is 2012 now, we don't need to go through the old story again...

I think you're right. All the anorexic girls I've known have been completely type-A personalities. Perfect grades, perfect friends, perfect hair and clothes and everything. Its not about being pretty, its about achieving this ridiculous standard of perfection. Many of the anorexics I've known have also had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and depression. And even more horribly, I've read girls who had ED and developed it as a response to some kind of abuse. This idea that they just aren't loveable or worth anything, that maybe if they don't eat they can disappear. Its very much not about vanity. Its really tragic, actually.

100% on point. Coming from experience, unfortunately.

Too bad that for some people it means the person is "weak, worthless and won't survive in the tough world" - my friend's words.
I mean, really? Do we all have to be the same..and, again, held up to the same standard - otherwise said person is discardable, like faulty factory produce?:rolleyes: It's how I used to feel sometimes...