Larissa Hofmann

Amanda Sanchez

Mona Matsuoka

Nastya Sten

Jeanne Cadieu

Kendall Jenner

Grace Mahary

Joan Smalls

I hate to say this (because i am 5'6 and nowhere near as thin as quite a few models), but this whole season (pfw, lfw, nyfw, mfw) has been incredibly disappointing to me in terms of models' bodies. I think this literally is the "biggest" season I've seen in a long time. Also, I think Chanel is really really dropping its standards and is really pandering to a more "pop culture" demographic, which can be seen through its use of a lot of starlet models (gigi hadid, kendall jenner, etc.) and more "commercial" models such as charlotte free and taylor hill... frankly i'm really disheartened

Review from Style.com

Today's set was Boulevard Chanel, a street scene immaculately re-created down to the last puddle on the asphalt and pane of glass in the apartment buildings, but when Karl Lagerfeld's models took to that street in protest, toting feminist placards and chanting slogans, there were some in the audience who blanched at what they saw as political passion co-opted by fashion artifice, especially in light of the current events in Hong Kong. Lagerfeld said he conceived the show within 24 hours of his last epic, so today's headlines weren't as relevant to his concept as the manifestations—or demonstrations—that bring bits of Paris to a standstill on an almost daily basis. Taking it to the streets is a time-honored French tradition. "I thought it was fun to make a demonstration about a subject I can very well adapt to," he said. "My mother was a feminist, and I was brought up with a history of that."

Lagerfeld is fiendishly adept at such almost-throwaway statements, but the political subtext to his Chanel show today wasn't a mirage. Women's hard-won rights are newly threatened all over the world, from a Republican politician refusing to ratify the Violence Against Women Act in the U.S. to hard-line Islamists in the Middle East. "I don't see why every human being is not on the same level," said Lagerfeld, "especially in my business." He was also thinking about the turbulent events of May 1968, when Paris took to the streets in one of the definitive popular protests of recent history. "There was an air of freedom I never felt before in Paris," he recalled. "There was one line I loved: 'It's not allowed to tell people that things are not allowed.' Today, everything is forbidden. Political correctness killed everything."

Of course, absolutely none of that means shit to a tree if Lagerfeld didn't deliver a collection of equal substance. Bearing in mind that he is inclined to show at least twice as many outfits as any other designer on the calendar, the broad gamut of today's collection offered so much that the cumulative impact was energy tempered by fierce intelligence. Release and restraint, in other words. So there were exuberant psychedelic splotches of watercolor shading everything from coat linings to boots, but there were also pristine white lace yokes that recalled Lagerfeld's days as creative director at Chloé, whose founder, Gaby Aghion, died this week. "I normally never dig in my past, but suddenly I had a vision," he said. There was va-voom sweater dressing (and who else are you going to put in a va-voom sweater dress than Gisele Bündchen?), but there was also sober navy tailoring, with seams outlined in white. Lacquered pinstripes, Art Deco organzas, chain mail…don't even bother looking for a narrative thread; the fact is, as Lagerfeld said, "They're all pieces everyone can play with. No '60s, no '70s, no whatever, more mode de vie than mode."

And, in that, they embody a fashion vision where everything is permitted. Coming from a fashion house as august as Chanel, that's pretty radical. Almost worth taking to the streets for.

Details

there's so much bad taste going on here, I can't even. :seeya:

This is the BEST review I've read on this show, and quite a controversial one too: http://www.stylebubble.co.uk/style_bubble/2014/10/i-doth-protest.html

I think the instagram commenters referenced put it so well.

NonsenseonStilettos: This kind of co-opting of protests and the real concerns that have people out on the street, to drive Chanel’s particular brand of selling things, is in poor taste.

ModernNiche: Perhaps it is admiration of protestors past and present but essentially trivialises the real issues to sell clothes (or more likely beauty and fragrance) sold at some of the highest price point.

Lounawt: It mocks any real struggle, it’s the bourgeoisie dressed up as the proletariat. The presentation of the feminist movement as trendy or as though we have gender equality.

MoreModelsofColor: Bullshit. If you are for all women. Cast older women, cast more models of colour – four black models is not enough and cast darker black models like Grace Bol, Nykhor Paul, Ataui and Ajak Deng, Ajuma Nasenyana, etc… Cast Indian models, cast more Latinas, cast more Asian models. Embrace all women. Have a more diverse cast if you are going to preach about feminism. Cast plus-size models. Stop it with racism, white supremacy and all the hypocritical-ness and pretentiousness.

I thought this part was well said too:

Did they know what they were saying? I doubt it. Not with slogans like “Féministe mais Feminine”, “Votez for Coco”, “Divorce pour tous”, “Boys should get pregnant too” and “Tweed is better than tweet.” What do they even mean? More to the point, why is pointless activism being used to sell clothes, when elsewhere in the world, real isuses are being fought for with blood, sweat and tears?

This is the BEST review I've read on this show, and quite a controversial one too: http://www.stylebubble.co.uk/style_bubble/2014/10/i-doth-protest.html

I think the instagram commenters referenced put it so well.

I thought this part was well said too:
i think the entire show was pathetic at best, and offensive at worst--we all know karl lagerfeld is not an activist, social justice advocate, or feminist in any way--he just needs to sell his somewhat horrible designs (and chanel's waning image) with some sort of sparkly cover (grocery stores and domestic women last season, now a feminist rally? what will he do next, an 80's jazzercise theme?)

I hate to say this (because i am 5'6 and nowhere near as thin as quite a few models), but this whole season (pfw, lfw, nyfw, mfw) has been incredibly disappointing to me in terms of models' bodies. I think this literally is the "biggest" season I've seen in a long time. Also, I think Chanel is really really dropping its standards and is really pandering to a more "pop culture" demographic, which can be seen through its use of a lot of starlet models (gigi hadid, kendall jenner, etc.) and more "commercial" models such as charlotte free and taylor hill... frankly i'm really disheartened

Chanel as a brand is a joke. The only people who still fawn over it are basic bitches and flashy foreigners.

100%agree with @espressoenthusiast's posts above and about Chanel's waning image. I USE to really enjoy some of the Chanel shows (less so resort though)...and even though the clothing could be a bit matronly I chalked it up to catering to an older (rich) clientele and just let myself enjoy the pure excessiveness of the venue and outfits in the videos. Then I looked at this show and instantly thought wtf is this....the pendulum has gone to too far of an extreme. it kept the previous gaudy matronly elements and added tacky "youthful" or pop elements. double. yuck.

I've liked Chanel's classic bags (not the puffy crap however) & previously the use of actually skinny models on the runway...but recently I haven't been extremely impressed lately.

(Completely different topic but related to Chanel...awesome lipstick formulas (my #1 lipstick choice!), foolproof eye shadow palettes (some of the few palettes I've used all the way through).... but for anyone who is not as pale as their models or product spokes people, I really wonder about the range of their cosmetic color spectrum. Always seemed somewhat limited to me and better at 'subtle' everyday looks rather than anything dramatic or versatile really.)