Chanel métiers d'art

curlycue

Worker Bee
May 8, 2012
Uh, LA, I guess?
All eyes were on Dallas as the nouveau riche home of the high end hosted fashion's elite for Chanel's latest Metiers d'Art (Pre-Fall Collection) show. Everything is bigger in Texas, a sentiment which Karl Lagerfeld certainly shares.

Like a snippet right out of Old Hollywood (Giant, to be exact), Chanel transformed the Dallas Fair Park into a rodeo, drive-in, and runway all at once. Said drive-in showed Karl's latest film, The Return, which stars Geraldine Chaplin as a later in life Coco Chanel to the likes of Dakota Fanning, Lily Collins, and Lauren Hutton, who all watched from the comfort of 1950s convertibles.

The collection, a fringe-laden ode to the Wild Wild West, took the rodeo-turned-runway, closing with the all-controversial Native headdress. He went there. "It's a reinvention of something I don't really know, but that I like to play with," Lagerfeld told Style.com. Consider yourself Karl-d, America

Chanel-Dallas-Metiers-d-Art.jpg

455030621.jpg

AP73869141875.jpg

Joan: :luv:
455030607.jpg

455030711.jpg

Crystal Renn:
AP208473332872.jpg

AP252745601285.jpg

AP791341238475.jpg

http://chanel-news.chanel.com/en/home.html

:hmm: While I appreciate the beauty of the clothes and inspiration, I don't think it was necessary to bring the full headdress into it. I see why Native Americans are upset, as it appropriates a sacred aspect of their culture. However, Karl did appear to do so with correct reverence and did not appear to intend to demean.

AP252745601285.jpg

AP791341238475.jpg

:hmm: While I appreciate the beauty of the clothes and inspiration, I don't think it was necessary to bring the full headdress into it. I see why Native Americans are upset, as it appropriates a sacred aspect of their culture. However, Karl did appear to do so with correct reverence and did not appear to intend to demean.

I agree with you - he didn't intend it to be disrespectful. I think to get offended is slightly ridiculous, as art many times has used, from different cultures, religious iconography and cultural symbols. It especially is ridiculous because Karl's intent really wasn't to demean at all - it really annoys me when people get hypersensitive.

I like the bottom picture, however that top picture, maybe it is just the draping or something but she looks terrible (chunky and shapeless).