Carol

Sasja

Rising Star
Feb 4, 2012
Holland
This film is still in the cinemas, so if you have a chance, definitely go and see it.

I just saw it for the first time a couple of days ago, and I plan to go see it once more. It was such a beautiful love story about two women (which I loved, because you don't get enough of that and it really spoke to me, more than ~regular romance films) and the acting was simply superb. Not surprising when you have Cate Blanchett playing the main role, but the popular Rooney Mara was also great in this. The cinematography is STUNNING and the music takes you into a fairytale-like world... it was all just so mesmerizing.

Also, I have always liked Rooney Mara's look, but in this film there were some scenes where she was chanelling a young Audrey Hepburn! Stunning. And Cate Blanchett will always make me weak. Can I have my own Carol to woo me, please?

Some screenshots:

carol-movie-rooney-mara-cate-blanchett-trailer-images-screenshots-21.png

carol-screenshot-31.jpg

carol-7ec8-s3.jpg

Screenshot-2016-01-15-01.22.52.png

Reactions: 1 users
Are they lesbians or friends? What is it even about? I only see it described as 'love between two women.' Is it a feel good romp or Oscar bait?

I haven't seen it yet but I definitely plan to. Cate Blanchett is probably my favorite actress right now, she's out of this world!

I loved this film - it's probably my #1 favorite right now. So rare to see feminine lesbians (like myself!) depicted realistically onscreen at all, let alone with a gorgeous and thought-provoking set, score, and plot. The film was groundbreaking on so many levels.. and Rooney and Cate were so lovely!

It's based on the 1952 book The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith (who was friends w/ Phyllis Nagy, Carol's screenwriter). @Sasja, I highly recommend the book as well. (It originally had to be published under a pseudonym, due to its controversial subject matter!)

I CANNOT believe it wasn't nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. (If you're interested in queer media analysis, you can read this for more discussion of the Oscars snub)

Reactions: 2 users