Candice Swanepoel

Thats my observation, someone then said to does she or doesn't she.
I was quoting from a friend that works from her, not me and I in no way am someone who has to much pride to be wrong.
I would be that 'someone' but anyway, I'm still not sure what you meant so moving on. I personally don't recall ever seeing Candice with a xylo.

Whaaaaat?? I've never even heard about a doctor's office being butthurt that a patient didn't brag about them to the media. I work for a plastic surgeon, and I don't think we'd even want that kind of attention. We wouldn't want everyone coming to our office trying to get the "X look". We want our patient to give their friends great reviews of us, to friends that want conservative, subtle results and are educated on the surgery process.
Trying to see the flip side here but I don't see the quote as the derm's office asking for personal recognition, but more recognition that something was done and that there was a team behind it. It's kind of like having beautiful perfectly aligned pearly whites and someone saying "oh these? I was just born with them :D ". If you were working in a dental office, wouldn't you say "Oh really??!?"
I also really wouldn't equate a dermatologist's office with a plastic surgeon's... the social 'stigma' surrounding plastic surgery prevents a lot of people from wanting to discuss what they've had done.

It's the same concept models use of "I can eat anything and everything I want." That fucked me up the most as a teenager, seeing and hearing about the girls that never did anything and had a perfect body and skin. It's rarely rarely rarely true.
Agreed. It is only very recently models and celebrities have admitted to having to work hard at anything - their bodies, looks, marriages, life etc.
Well within the past 10 years.

Unattainable/impossible is not longer as appealing to the mass market - attainable with work is. To an extent.

I personally don't recall ever seeing Candice with a xylo.

I found some pictures where she has a vague one.

tumblr_n560wr1J321rjf3ito1_400.gif
spl413433_025.jpg

Trying to see the flip side here but I don't see the quote as the derm's office asking for personal recognition, but more recognition that something was done and that there was a team behind it. It's kind of like having beautiful perfectly aligned pearly whites and someone saying "oh these? I was just born with them :D ". If you were working in a dental office, wouldn't you say "Oh really??!?"
I also really wouldn't equate a dermatologist's office with a plastic surgeon's... the social 'stigma' surrounding plastic surgery prevents a lot of people from wanting to discuss what they've had done.

Yes, yes, I see what you mean. Normally I wouldn't equate a plastic surgeon's office so quickly with a derm office, but we do a lot of facials, IPLs, injections, etc. in addition to facial cosmetic work--I should have mentioned that! We aren't a general plastic surgeon's office. I see what you mean with the dentist example, and going back to the stigma--it's way more acceptable/admirable to take care of your teeth than to focus on your face/skin. I don't know, it just felt weird that someone would complain about it. Yes, it's annoying for someone to just completely not mention any of the work that went into giving them the perfect complexion, but I get paid either way so ha!

Candice's face looked especially "different" during the fashion show:

Phew, so bloated!!! They really 'shop out her jowls...

2 years ago:

RIP

Reactions: 1 user
Girls always bitch about how VS Angels make them feel sooo insecure after the show, so maybe BS is trying something new this year...

Reactions: 6 users
I haven't ever heard of models admitting they'd struggled with acne and dealt with it with prescription drugs. It's always through "natural methods", which gives girls who have really bad skin issues the wrong idea about how to deal with it. Then again most models never struggle with serious acne, so maybe they really do think slapping an avocado-lemon-coconut oil-whatever mask on twice a week would eradicate hormonal or cystic acne. There's just so much misinformation out there when it comes to skin care :/

True. I agree. I think perhaps the fact that I am in medicine makes knowledge that I thought was commonplace is in fact not commonplace at all. I know far too many girls in medicine that have amazing skin + hair as a result of strategic interventions.

I do remember a video by Taylor Marie Hill about taking accutane for her skin though. It was a "skin tips" video she had posted on youtube. I wasn't surprised.

Reactions: 1 user
Candidate Candice to the Takedown section, please ! I repeat Candice to the Takedown section, please ! :busted:

Reactions: 3 users
Because a "model" is something you should aspire to, so skinny models seem offensive to the more insecure individuals.

This is interesting. There are actually a few definitions for "model". The relevant ones in this case are:

1) a thing used as an example to follow or imitate. (synonyms: ideal/paragon)
2) a person, typically a woman, employed to display clothes by wearing them. (synonyms: mannequin)

I don't think the term "model" as it's used in the fashion industry is supposed to imply an ideal you should strive for. If I had to guess I'd say the reason models are called models probably came as a result of the verb "model", meaning "to display by wearing". I guess it's interesting to think about the different interpretations of the word, especially because fashion models could both be seen as women with ideal bodies and something to aspire to AND as walking mannequins/primarily serving to showcase the clothes they're wearing.

Reactions: 2 users
This is interesting. There are actually a few definitions for "model". The relevant ones in this case are:

1) a thing used as an example to follow or imitate. (synonyms: ideal/paragon)
2) a person, typically a woman, employed to display clothes by wearing them. (synonyms: mannequin)

I don't think the term "model" as it's used in the fashion industry is supposed to imply an ideal you should strive for. If I had to guess I'd say the reason models are called models probably came as a result of the verb "model", meaning "to display by wearing". I guess it's interesting to think about the different interpretations of the word, especially because fashion models could both be seen as women with ideal bodies and something to aspire to AND as walking mannequins/primarily serving to showcase the clothes they're wearing.

Interesting discussion.
I agree. I don't think it started as the 'ideal' but rather a walking mannequin.

Look at Financial models, model homes etc.
They are not represented as ideals but as abstract representations of reality.

@cosmic latte @MickeyMouse When you think about it, the SG community embraces both definitions if the term, with great emphasise on the first one (ideal body). So it's understandable that some people completely ignore the second definition of mannequin and focus on the wrong idea that a body standard is forced upon them, rather than displayed for them.

She was really sick in the weeks leading up to the show, I saw some people asking somewhere about if she was pregnant because she was so bloated. So that might have had something to do with her being so large. Her face looks puffy and sad :(

She was really sick in the weeks leading up to the show, I saw some people asking somewhere about if she was pregnant because she was so bloated. So that might have had something to do with her being so large. Her face looks puffy and sad :(
What had to do with her being so large? The puffiness?

She's in the new Spring 2016 Givenchy campaign (despite the runway fall) alongside
  • Mariacarla Boscono
  • Lara Stone,
  • Natalia Vodianova,
  • Joan Smalls,
  • Gemma Ward,
  • Miranda Kerr,
  • Iselin Steiro,

• Delon Smith,
  • Alessio Pozzi,
  • Filip Hrivnak,
  • Alexandre Valotto,
  • Kevin Sampaio,