Black Mirror

bingeonvogue

Deputy Head Bitch
Staff member
Recently Verified
Feb 1, 2015
Watched several episodes now that I'm on break and I'm hooked. Would love to know any of you girls' thoughts on it. One thing that struck me was that some episodes seemed to imply that in the future there would be some general move towards skinny-centrism and that people would be more fat shamed – but not sure how much I agree with how much that aligns with real life trends :hahano:

Reactions: 1 users
I absolutely loved Black Mirror - unique, dark, and thought provoking...I loved it because it hits you right in the face with topics that people may be generally uncomfortable thinking/talking about. I initially wrote a huge block of text gushing about it, but honestly the show is so remarkable that it speaks for itself.

A note: If you are the type of person to judge a show based on its first episode (sometimes I do this), you may want to start with season 1 episode 2, instead of season 1 episode 1 because I feel like the first episode does not "suck you in" as much as the others. I know a few other people who have the same advice, but keep in mind this is just my opinion.

Overall - highly recommended!

edit: @bingeonvogue what was your favorite episode?

Reactions: 2 users
I watched some of the old seasons during a Media Studies class before the new one came out on Netflix and it got most of the the hype- episodes 1:3, 2:1 and 2:3. My favorite episode might be San Junipero from the 3rd season, since I liked the balance of thought-provoking technology but also a human storyline and heart. I also enjoyed the 2nd episode of season 3, and White Bear from season 2 :)

@vie a lot of overlap. ;) Haven't seen the last two yet though

I'm not completely sure but looking back I think my favorite is The Entire History of You and White Bear, and I really liked White Christmas but I wished they'd dedicated an episode to exploring the little mini human technology thing bc I think that had the potential to be way more interesting in a kind of Westworld-esque way. I feel like they bring up more interesting/unusual themes bc if I'm being super hyper-critical (cause I love the series) I feel like Nosedive and some of the stuff is obviously super relatable but has been kind of played out. I think the White Bear idea of what is "justice" and what slips into entertainment is actually so relevant too :nervous:
My favorite episode might be San Junipero from the 3rd season
I absolutely adored San Junipero but I'm not sure because I actually liked it bc I thought it wasn't a happy ending (like that we knew it wasn't but it was being deliberately being shown contrasting as though it was – going along with how the episode was saying that we treasure life because it is this transient thing blabla) but then all the reviews seemed to think the opposite... or maybe I'm way overthinking it :hahano:

White bear is my favourite episode as well.

Am I the only one who thought the netflix revival wasn't as good as the original series? I really liked it, but I thought they had less miserable/depressing endings. Nosedive for example:
She ends up in jail, sure, but she seems liberated. After the conversations she had with the trucker lady it seems like it might be the best thing to happen to her.

Still enjoyed the netflix season, but definitely preferred the original.

• Agree
Still enjoyed the netflix season, but definitely preferred the original.

Yes, so much and I felt like it became kind of disney-fied and more palatable. In general I think I prefer British television which might be something to do with the fact that they don't have a hollywood equivalent? Not sure :lol:

Reactions: 1 user