Betsey Johnson

Wow. That MPA thread just comes across as really bitter TBH, it sounds like a girl who got kicked out bitching with a lot of people who aren't invited.

I only joined the week before Amber and she was instantly the first thing I'd see when I logged in. It's been nice to explore the site without seeing a gloaty '23 inch waist club' signature everywhere. (I love seeing people's stats btw, I've found the whole site really inspiring and interesting, it was just the whoot whoot nature of Amber's that was a little grating).

Anyway, what they are saying about the site does just sound like people protesting too much that they don't want to join here. So many of them admit they'd be rejected anyway.....

Love Fruity's posts though :)

Reactions: 1 users
TheDancingWriter said:
I don't need Mommy and Daddy to spend 1,000 dollars on a piece of jewelry, just because it has Louis Vuitton or Michael Kors attached to it, though their jewelry is absolutely nothing unique compared to Betsey Johnson.

:mclap:

I know I should just let them fester amongst themselves, but it's like a train wreck; I can't look away. They're so obviously jealous of SG, and are doing some amazing mental gymnastics to pretend that they're too good for us. And the classic, "I bet Skinny Gurl is an obese old woman," comment returns. They can only wish that they were as skinny as she is. For all they insult us, they seem to be much worse; at least we recognise when we're being bitches. They want to act like they're so innocent, but they're insulting us based off things they assume (and calling us the c word? Classy).

Stay fat and jealous, MPA.

Reactions: 1 users
WOW I can't believe she's still going on and on and on... talk about too much free time. Did her publisher drop her or something? Jeez.

Reactions: 1 user
Just read through the thread, and all of their Mean Girls comparisons reminded me of this.....:lol:

mean-girls-10-year-anniversary-best-quotes-gif44.gif

shut-up.gif

Reactions: 10 users
@dietcokediet

Take a look at the Olsens' brand (The Row). It's a trillion times more classy than Michael Kors.

Reactions: 3 users
A low income is no excuse for bad taste.

I can put some perfectly good outfits together from Zara, H&M, dress agencies etc. without having to resort to trailer park "designers" (and that includes Michael Kors btw).

Trailer_comp2.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Hey! Some of us actually like MK. :oops: Not a fan of monogram anything or giant logos, but some pieces are nice.
Yeah I was confused too.. I don't like Micheal Kors but I don't understand the dissing... Is it the new Burberry or something?

MK (not so much the runways collections) is nothing but knockoffs from other designers and that is tacky.
NMV2CMA_mk.jpg

looks a lot like the "it" Celine from forever ago.
Celine-Luggage-Tote.jpg

Guess which is made in China?

Also: it took me <5m to find to put this comparison together. In 20m, perhaps I could file a lawsuit.
ALso, also: I've met Betsey Johnson and the way she wanted us to walk was :smash:

Reactions: 2 users
MK (not so much the runways collections) is nothing but knockoffs from other designers and that is tacky.
NMV2CMA_mk.jpg

looks a lot like the "it" Celine from forever ago.
Celine-Luggage-Tote.jpg

Guess which is made in China?

Also: it took me <5m to find to put this comparison together. In 20m, perhaps I could file a lawsuit.
ALso, also: I've met Betsey Johnson and the way she wanted us to walk was :smash:
Maybe that's why then. I'm not a big fan of their accessories, only runway, so I never even knew haha.

I assume you were being facetious but I shall still post this for whoever is ignorant on the issue.....
Unfortunately, IP protection and enforcement with designs is certainly complex.

I know from experience of a very famous case where the issue of direct infringement was debunked because:
1) a customer of say a $1000 pair of shoes is not the same as for a $10 pair of shoes (and thus the $1000 shoe company cannot claim compensation for lost sales from the $10 shoe company for that reason). Claiming tarnishing of brand image as a cause for financial loss is a totally separate issue again as you would have the burden of proof etc.
and
2) there are only so many styles of shoes that can be made so one cannot claim total ownership over say a 'standard pump' design of shoe.
(details changed for anonymity reasons)

A very simple article touching on the issue -
http://jezebel.com/5822762/how-forever-21-keeps-getting-away-with-designer-knockoffs

Hey! Some of us actually like MK. :oops: Not a fan of monogram anything or giant logos, but some pieces are nice.
I'm not referring to runway, I'm talking about the mall fashion MK/LV logo covered accessories the MPA girls said we covet over here since BJ is too cheap for us. ;-)

@MickeyMouse color me facetious
The thing I hate most--beyond the insult to the original designer/legal loopholes --is the shoddy contefit is always produced by children in Bangladesh or in a cloud of pollution in China. No thanks.

@MickeyMouse color me facetious
The thing I hate most--beyond the insult to the original designer/legal loopholes --is the shoddy contefit is always produced by children in Bangladesh or in a cloud of pollution in China. No thanks.

On a tangent; I know 'sweat shop work shops' get a bad rap in the western media but let me be honest here. First of all, children in Bangladesh are usually not employed in garment factories. Its usually young women and men that are employed. And you will not believe how positive it is as a source of income and growth for these underprivileged folk. They are paid muchmore (relative to how much they would be paid as a house servant or something similar...or even just unemployment). They enjoy autonomy and respect. It is a source of empowerment, especially for the women, for reasons that are innumerable to list here. This is true especially in a country where the divide between the rich and poor are so huge. The upper class are running out of people to hire as maids,servants and chauffeurs (often times treating them degradingly) because of this phenomenon. Children of underprivileged couples that work in garment factories, can send their kids to school And not just pull them out, becsuse they need to generste income to survive. Which is awesome. Although its not a perfect system, and with alot to be desired for, it is a start. And potentially a means for better legislature in future as far as working hours and the forming of a union etc - it is a process. Especially after the Savar factory disaster.

I understand that designers and brands make a sizable profit, when they outsource their production to third world countries, but honestly, they are also serving as a vital source /oppurtunity of economical growth in these countries. So, alot of good actually comes off this.

Oh and no, counterfeit products are not the usual mainstream export of these countries. Although, it happens, its on the down low. So many international businesses now place their production orders in third world countries that most garment productions are legit. Counterfeit production are an illegal activity, even there. And businesses will refrain from giving you their contract if they get wind of illegal activity. And as a garment factory owner, you would definitely aim to secure those large international contracts. And just because it's produced at a third world, it doesnt mean shoddier workmanship. A factory will not secure a contract or be paid if a certain quality grade is not achieved per product. Those products that dont make the cut, are destroyed...equalling lost labour hours and resources for the factory.

So yep, this sweatshop BS spouted in the western media, fuelling disdain and contempt among the general public ...instilling a houlier-than-thou-attitude who don't know any better, is misinformed and undeserved.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users