Backpacks?

Are backpacks acceptable to wear instead of a messenger bag or satchel? I don't mean a purely utilitarian backpack with no appeal, but something that suits your outfit and isn't an eyesore.

I recently spotted a studded black leather backpack and fell in love with it. I'm not sure whether I'll get side-eyed if I wear it outside, but I'm not sure if I want to use it to house my laptop/textbooks as it was too expensive to warrant potential damage.

In case this changes your opinion, I'll put up a picture of the bag in question.
(Excuse the fact that my fat legs are in the photo, if I crop it any more the already poor quality will just fizzle and die on the floor.)

Attachments

• Photo on 2013-12-16 at 8.20 PM #4.jpg
    Photo on 2013-12-16 at 8.20 PM #4.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 207
I wear a lot of cutesy Asian inspired fashion (Lolita, mori, general Asian-influenced street style), so my backpacks are kinda of nerdy.

I have the blue and pink winged backpack from Lost Mannequin, and I use that one for when I'm wearing nice, soft, pastel colours. (Seeing skinnies in those pale colours always makes me think of forest fairies, haha.) I'm not quite sure what I could wear the Eva one with, as I have nothing even close to matching those colours. :hmm: I might just use it with an all black outfit, since that usually lets you get away with not matching your purse. I just wish it weren't an actual backpack.

Attachments

• lm.jpg
    lm.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
As a student, I definitely have to say that backpacks are more than acceptable, as long as they aren't an eyesore, of course. I'm currently using a plain backpack with no logos or fancy accents, just a blank baby blue backpack that complements most of my outfits very well!

And @Skinny-Mimi, your legs are not fat! I quite like your backpack!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a lot of hipster girls wearing embroidered backpacks and it looks pretty cute. It's also useful for college because of all the book they carry around. For me, I don't thing I would wear a backpack anymore because they are reminiscent of high school. Now that I'm nearing 20 years old, I'm trying to cultivate a more mature look. For me that means purses, blazers, that sort of thing. But I'm not sure how old you are, so if you are any younger than I am, I'd say go for it!

Some backpacks are nice and look cute paired with shorts (I don't like them with long pants). I would be more...cautious when wearing a backpack though. It's much easier to steal from someone's backpack without them noticing than to steal from someone's purse.

I don't think your age should impact whether or not you should wear a backpack. I used to have one in high school and switched to purses once in college. Once I started uni though, I couldn't carry my damn purse around all day without ending up with severe shoulder pain. So I went back to backpack. As long as you buy something that goes along the look you are rooting for, it's fine. You can still look mature and professional if you have a good quality, simple backpack. I bought the Bessemer Large Brief Pack from Tumi, and it fits quite perfectly with my outfits. I can even say that the backpack can add a studious, serious effect more than a purse if you get the right one :).

pTUMI1-11787884enh-z8.jpg

Marc Jacobs Domo Arigato Packrat Backpack. Way better $200 investment than grocery shopping. Who needs food when there are cute backpacks!!
I live when the world sends me pretty things to save up for because it helps me remember that I'm a pretty girl who deserves pretty girly things - rather than a fat slob who 'deserves' that candy/cake. Every dlar I haven't spent in food while water fasting goes towards this bad boy!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 115
I have this one!

v0VE1Sp.png

I personally prefer the smaller herschel backpacks, but I have to carry around large textbooks, so they aren't really an option. I think a simple backpack is best, since it won't clash too much with what you're wearing.

I alternate between these backpacks depending on how much I carry:

Everlane snapback (for laptop plus books):

everlane-reverse-denim-snap-backpack-011-570x692.jpg

Roots tribe leather backpack (way nicer in person):

backpack-3.jpg

I like the Herschel backpacks too, but half of the students on campus have one, and the Everlane bag in particular provided a similar look, but I've seen maybe 3-4 others with it in total, so it's nice not having the same thing as everyone else.

Backpacks are so tough because they're comfy but tend to be sort of clunky or basic. I don't like cloth bags, but leather backpacks are sort of a rare anomly.

I have one of these vintage bamboo Guccis that I love if I don't want to sling a purse around:

5244998560_4a2bf73af8_z.jpg

It's not a very useful size for school, but you can find them in this size (which I am coveting):

il_fullxfull.505197241_p7ru_1024x1024.jpeg

Also, I want to get my hands on a Mabillon one day, but they're also pint-sized.

CW46908-02.jpg

I use backpack too. Mine is from mcm . I like the design and pattern on it and it is quite spacy because i need to bring my laptop often

Sent from my Andromax U using Tapatalk

I've had this one for 1.5 years. I've worn it to school every single day and carried up to 15 kilos of books in it. It has endured floods of diet soda and spilled cherry tomates that fell out of my lunch box and were crushed by my books.
It's still fab as ever.

Large_Black_Leather_Backpack_man.JPG

I use backpack too. Mine is from mcm . I like the design and pattern on it and it is quite spacy because i need to bring my laptop often

Sent from my Andromax U using Tapatalk

My cat carrier is MCM! I love the fun, bright (but not too bright) design. Glad to see they're making a comeback. They're also hella well-built.

My cat carrier is MCM! I love the fun, bright (but not too bright) design. Glad to see they're making a comeback. They're also hella well-built.

Yeah. Mine is not bright at all actually. I prefer pastel or creamy color and black.

Yeah. Mine is not bright at all actually. I prefer pastel or creamy color and black.

Yeah! I like some of the variations, and that actually sounds subdued and nice. I was thinking of the classic cognac colour, forgetting that they've been making them in a wide range. I love the cognac because it's iconic, but the grey-on-black and the taupe-y one is probably easier to work into daily wear.