Ask a model anything

This thread is amazing, and some very great questions being put forward gurls. I don't even think I can think of any that haven't been covered, we just need answers! ;):lol:

i love this thread i wish skinny gurl could interview a few of the models with some good questions to get some perspective on what it is like in the day of a model... When i watched a video of Miranda Kerr doing 'a day in the life of a VS model' it looked like so much fun but it sounds even harder then i ever thought and i always knew it wasn't an easy job... Harsh industry

I would ask them all about their skin. I think I am even more obsessed with flawless skin than I am about being skinny (lol), I know I have nice skin compared to most girls my age but it's nowhere near supermodel status. I want that porcelain doll skin that requires no makeup (or makeup so light you can't see that it's there). Lots of movie stars have bad skin on their off days, but it seems that even in the super candid pictures of models, their skin always looks runway ready!

And of course, I would ask about designer clothes.

I would ask them all about their skin. I think I am even more obsessed with flawless skin than I am about being skinny (lol), I know I have nice skin compared to most girls my age but it's nowhere near supermodel status. I want that porcelain doll skin that requires no makeup (or makeup so light you can't see that it's there). Lots of movie stars have bad skin on their off days, but it seems that even in the super candid pictures of models, their skin always looks runway ready!

And of course, I would ask about designer clothes.

I am not in the same league as the other models in the VIPs, but makeup artists always compliment me on my skin- and i do very little with it! i moisturise using body shops vitamin e cream, and ill occasionally put vitamin e oil on under my eyes too. i rarely put makeup on my skin- perhaps if im going out for a meal and even then ill only put a really light foundation around my eyes. i always have wipes with me to get the makeup off after shooting cos they put SO MUCH on. other than that- drink lots of water and dont eat any sugar. simples :kiss:

Reactions: 1 user
I am not in the same league as the other models in the VIPs, but makeup artists always compliment me on my skin- and i do very little with it! i moisturise using body shops vitamin e cream, and ill occasionally put vitamin e oil on under my eyes too. i rarely put makeup on my skin- perhaps if im going out for a meal and even then ill only put a really light foundation around my eyes. i always have wipes with me to get the makeup off after shooting cos they put SO MUCH on. other than that- drink lots of water and dont eat any sugar. simples :kiss:

Thanks to @ExtraShot i'm using vitamin e oil now and it works great. Very nice beauty tip! :luv:

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly do you do to stay thin?
Any beauty tips you'd like to me?

picking some up next time i am near a body shop thanks :luv:

I would ask them all about their skin. I think I am even more obsessed with flawless skin than I am about being skinny (lol), I know I have nice skin compared to most girls my age but it's nowhere near supermodel status. I want that porcelain doll skin that requires no makeup (or makeup so light you can't see that it's there).

I've been lucky with my skin and am usually complimented on it at shoots, but the girls who have bad skin are often prescribed drugs like Roaccutane to keep their skin looking flawless.

Reactions: 1 user
Post 1

1. do you keep flour, baking powder, baking soda (etc.) in your kitchen? what are staple items that you buy each week?

Yes because i like to bake for my boyfriend, family, and friends. Also to get other models fat :twisted::lol:
I like to buy apples, long english cucumber, green tea, pre-mixed salad, egg whites, chicken, turkey, frozen spinach, and tomato :)

2. have you ever purposefully tripped another girl on the runway?

Never, as No One said, other girls would see! But I'm too nice anyways.

3. how do your parents feel about your lifestyle? do they leave your eating habits alone because they know it means $$?

They don't like when I get too skinny, but they know it's my job.. they get worried when I look too pale and 'gaunt.' But they have eased up lately and know I have to because it's my job.

4. does your stomach growl often in awkward moments? do people ask about it?

haha yes, sometimes, and people don't usually mention anything!

1. What are your favorite beauty products ever?

Hmm.. L'Oreal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes, NARS concealer & any kind of light powder. Face cream I like the brand la roche posay.. and for shower wash/shampoo/lotions.. I get it free all the time, never have to buy! :p

2. What do you like to do in your off time?

School work! Reading, being with friends and family.

3. Seriously, how many of your fellow models do you REALLY get along with?

A lot of us get along because we are all kind of in the same boat.. but some are real fake bitches.

4. When you get together with male models is it straight bone zone time?

Hahaha so many are gay! I love my boyfriend :oops::luv:

5. How many men high powered men have basically tried to treat you like like a presidential model prostitute?

Never had a problem, they all treat you very kindly.

6. What would you like to do once your modeling career is over?

No idea yet! This question always makes me anxious..

7. How do you feel about 90's supermodels?

Tacky, but some are ok.

- Do you worry about your career once you retire from modelling? (I feel like if they're famous enough, they would have money to be comfortable for a little while, but it would feel so weird to merge back into plain old society)

I don't think it's a problem.. I would be mature and move onto bigger and better things.

- Honestly, I wonder how they can feel so confident on the runway. Obviously, if you're drop dead gorgeous with an awesome body things are a little easier. But I would still find a hard time working some of the crazier avant-garde, couture-type things.

It's the job to look confident. A lot of us feel like shit when we go on, and sometimes even fat.. but we still have to do our job.

also if ever sexual harassment happens while working... i find that so akward and terrible, especially for those young girls...

I never had a problem with this.. from the industry at least.

I'd love if models would answer this question:

If you have a family with daughters of your own one day, would you encourage them to pursue a modeling career? ( having gone through the whole experience of being a model, did you love it enough to want your daughter to go through it too?)

I think it really depends! If I know they have the right look/height/measurements/personality/strength. I would never push them into something they don't want to do.

Post 2

- I would ask models for their food diary and not just for the day or week but I want months of food diaries.

I don't have one anymore. No one I know has one.

- Their tricks to avoid eating too much at events and parties etc, or what their after eating thoughts/plan are like.

1. Money. 2. Looking like a pig stuffing your face? No thankyou.

- Their workout routines etc.

Cardio & Any workout class!

- The restaurants and cafes they go to in each city. The places where they get their food shop.

Starbucks haha. Whatever my friends/agencies recommends. I shop at Whole Foods.

- What were the lessons your agency taught you when you first started out.

We practiced posing when they did digitals. I have always had a good walk :oops: so I don't need to practice.

- What are your tricks/tips to be more photogenic (if you can, not sure if you can be taught to be photogenic or maybe some people just aren't, I dunno).

Practice in the mirror, which angle, expression & side looks best. (when you model, both sides need to be your best :lol:)

- Do you miss anything about your pre-modeling days?

nope!

What is it actually like to be a model? I know it's not the way hollywood makes it out to be.

Haha. It gets stressful and not at all glamorous (where you live, the photoshoots, then runway, the subway you take to work) but then you meet the most amazing people, go to the most amazing parties, wear the most amazing clothing, and it's all worth it.

Do most models get along, or do they fight, or do they avoid each other?

Yes everyone tends to get along. Especially when you do shows and jobs and castings together all the time.

5. What happens when your too old to continue modeling?

I just don't model anymore :lol:

how much do you smoke.

I smoke occasionally.. more socially if anything.

-how did you become a model?

I was scouted at a cafe.

-tips to become a model

Go to an agency, let them take it from there. If it's not meant to be, don't push it.

how do you know how to pose for pictures?

When you first start out, majority of photographers help you out and direct you. After a while, it becomes second nature.

how to be confident at castings

stand up tall, and have a positive attitude

favorite stores

TopShop. VS. Urban Outfitters. Many vintage & consignment shops.

How did you get scouted?

answered above. :)

Do you already have plans what you will do after modelling?

school.

- Were you often asked to lose weight? Do you get a lot of rude comments about your body? How do you deal with it?
Not 'weight' but measurements. Everyone I've worked with is very nice and sweet. If a dress doesn't fit, they blame it on how crazy the designer is (which is sweet.) I take it as it is, and if I know it's something I should work on, I will!

Post 3

What quantities of food do you eat/drink in a typical day? Total calories, just to give me an idea of what I should aspire to.

I try to drink at least 85oz of water daily. I love tea & coffee and sometime treat my self to diet soda. I try to eat light in the day and eat a heavier meal
at night so I don't have very bad hunger pains, I want to be able to sleep. Under 1,000 calories of course.

Every fashion show I've been to, the models have to be serious and they don't look happy. Are you allowed to smile and look like you're having fun or are you told to look serious?

Really depends on designer and show. Every designer/season has a different look.

Do you smoke? If you do how much a day?

Yes. Once a day average maybe?

2. Do you have cheat days, say after shows?

Yes of course

Where you always skinny? Or growing up you were bit of a chubby?

When I was very little yes, always tallest and skinniest.. then I hit puberty before everyone else and I had very awkward stage.

Ok, it is hard and can be like hell sometimes, but do you really enjoy modeling?

yes of course.

Do you have (like us, average girls :p ) those days when you think you look awful? I mean, those days in which you have spots on your face, marks on your skin, swollen legs/ankles, bad hair and eyebrows...
How do you manage these kind of days, since your work grounds on your appearance?

YES. We ALL do. I personally, try to fix the problem. Something you have to live with. You can't see a zit and cry for the next 2 days until it's gone. It's called photoshop for a reason.

Are you happy?Simple as.

yes

I would ask them all about their skin.

I am told I have.. porcelain(?) skin.. I try to drink lots of water. Best not to wear ANY makeup when off work (it's tempting, believe me) but you need to let your skin breathe. I cleanse my skin lightly day and night. Oh when great tip is splashing really cold water on your face in morning. It will brightens up your complexion.

What exactly do you do to stay thin?

Drink lots of water. Starve(sorrynotsorry) & Exercise.

Any beauty tips you'd like to me?

1. Water
2. L'Oreal - Double Extend Beauty Tubes best mascara
3. Very cold water (basically ice water) on your face.
4. Be happy!!

@No One
thanks so much for taking the time to answer so many questions...it is really inspiring and so insightful....thanks:luv::luv::kiss:

Last edited by a moderator: