Ask a model anything

can u switch mother agencies? i have a contract with my mother agency and my NY one, but my mother agency is not doing its job (bad booking, sending me to sketchy places etccc), should i leave once the contract is up? can you even be signed without a mother agent? is it heard of to switch mother agencies? model to model question here lol
I've heard of girls switching mother agencies so I know it's possible. But I'm not 100% on the logistics of doing so. Maybe one of the other vips could provide some insight?

can u switch mother agencies? i have a contract with my mother agency and my NY one, but my mother agency is not doing its job (bad booking, sending me to sketchy places etccc), should i leave once the contract is up? can you even be signed without a mother agent? is it heard of to switch mother agencies? model to model question here lol

Depends on what your MA contract says. Many have an "out" if they have not gotten you legit work in 90-120 days. Not all do though, I have seen girls stuck for 1-2 years.

It's not totally necessary to have an MA to get signed but if your MA is really well-connected in major markets then they can be very very helpful in getting you seen and signed. The main thing to ask is have they placed models with good agencies before. If they never have, then tbh it's not likely you'll be their first. Also a lot depends on where you live.

If you are comfortable with it I'd be glad to look at your contract and tell you if you're stuck.

Reactions: 5 users
I've seen girls eat 3 day old spaghetti bolognese that was left out
Oh my god, if you're not being hyperbolic...please tell these girls to be careful! People have died from doing exactly that. If you can rock high heels on the runway off of a few hours sleep you can put your pasta in the fridge

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my god, if you're not being hyperbolic...please tell these girls to be careful! People have died from doing exactly that. If you can rock high heels on the runway off of a few hours sleep you can put your pasta in the fridge

I really wish I wasn't exaggerating. Aside from just questionable food choices in terms of being skinny, I've seen so much crap in terms of just not dying. Other highlights include eggs on the counter in the summer (which I know is acceptable in some countries but in the US they clean them so they need to be refrigerated), 3 day old pizza left on the counter (she got mad when cleaning ladies threw it out) and snacking while cutting raw chicken.

• Gross
  • WTF
Reactions: 4 users
So now that Noone posting is back (as always, thank you @The Bullcock :luvluv:) I am hoping that some of you lovely VIPs may feel like answering some of my questions! Here goes:

1. what’s the best advice about modelling you ever received (be it from a fellow model, agent, photographer or other industry insider)?

2.have you ever tried to sabotage another model? If so, what did you do? If not, share the best model sabotage story you’ve ever heard :twisted:

3. when you were first signed, did your agent require you to undergo a makeover (new hair etc)? If you feel comfortable please share details including reasons (if any) your agent gave you for altering your appearance.

4. how did you get signed? Were you scouted and if so how? Or did you submit applications to an agency?

5. how do you handle rejection?

6. Which do you prefer: photoshoots or runway? And why?

Reactions: 3 users
So now that Noone posting is back (as always, thank you @The Bullcock :luvluv:) I am hoping that some of you lovely VIPs may feel like answering some of my questions! Here goes:

1. what’s the best advice about modelling you ever received (be it from a fellow model, agent, photographer or other industry insider)?

2.have you ever tried to sabotage another model? If so, what did you do? If not, share the best model sabotage story you’ve ever heard :twisted:

3. when you were first signed, did your agent require you to undergo a makeover (new hair etc)? If you feel comfortable please share details including reasons (if any) your agent gave you for altering your appearance.

4. how did you get signed? Were you scouted and if so how? Or did you submit applications to an agency?

So excited to have anon posting back!
1. The best advice I've received honestly applies to just about everything, but to treat everyone with the same level of kindness and respect, regardless of their position. The assistant makeup artist today could be launching a beauty brand tomorrow. And you don't seem like a bitch.

2. I have never and probably would never, although I have pondered the many ways to do it, switching their food out for higher ingredients, laxatives, putting stuff in their hair products. The best I've heard was from one of my bookers, putting Nair (hair removal cream) in another girls conditioner

3. I was signed when I was just turning 15. No real makeover, just losing weight. Also a lot of fuss over whether I should straighten my hair for castings or not. Then when I got to New York it was all about dressing cool, and being edgy.

4. I was scouted a lot by like random people in malls and weird agencies, but I first got properly signed to a modelling agency by just submitting my pictures online, and they called back in literally a minute, wanting to set up a meeting.

5. I used to do acting when I was little, so I'm well versed in being rejected. My main way I handle it is to not get caught up in it. I leave the casting/callback and its done. Do my best not to think about it. I've made the mistake before of getting caught up in the what if's and it just leaves for a lot more heart break. As for the few comments made to my face, I take it in stride, it's always been I look too young or I'm too small so meh, cant complain that much.

6. Photoshoots all the way. Honestly runway pays crap, its chaos backstage, the designer is 9 times out of 10 about lose their mind, it's over in like .5 seconds, you don't get any creativity with it and you're one of a whole bunch of girls. I like being able to connect with people on set, and also there's less pressure that in that 0.5 seconds you'll fall and ruin the whole thing

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Dear VIP’s,
  1. If you get paid in designer items, do you keep or sell them? If you sell them, which sites do you use?
  2. Not related to the fashion-industry but please indulge me - have you ever met/slept with anyone A-list famous...? I’m specifically thinking the Weeknd because of my mini crush.
  3. If you have skin issues/dental/aesthetic problems does your agency help you fix those things or do you pay for it out of your pocket?
  4. Male models, would you date any of them? For some reason models don’t seem to date other models? Maybe I’m wrong?

Reactions: 1 user
Dear VIP’s,
  1. If you get paid in designer items, do you keep or sell them? If you sell them, which sites do you use?
  2. Not related to the fashion-industry but please indulge me - have you ever met/slept with anyone A-list famous...? I’m specifically thinking the Weeknd because of my mini crush.
  3. If you have skin issues/dental/aesthetic problems does your agency help you fix those things or do you pay for it out of your pocket?
  4. Male models, would you date any of them? For some reason models don’t seem to date other models? Maybe I’m wrong?

1. I’ve kept some things, ive also given away some items. I have sold one or two things but that was to people I know personally.

2. I have many stories lol. But I don’t think I’m going to share just yet, and never any names - obviously. But no, not the Weekend.

3. I always paid out of pocket myself. Most of the time, if any agency does pay, it will be deducted from their account.

4. Ah, the male model. I have dated one, he was great. But the majority that I have met are total air headed - and what is the term... fuckboys with 0 substance. Or gay.

• Useful
Reactions: 5 users
4. Ah, the male model. I have dated one, he was great. But the majority that I have met are total air headed - and what is the term... fuckboys with 0 substance. Or gay.
Oh I forgot the mention - an unbelievable amount are so fucking obsessed with themselves and how they look. Like yes, as a model you need to have a certain amount of “obsession” with your self to make sure you look good and maintain it. But for some reason, I find male models can be on a whole other level lol. They think they’re gods greatest gift. Obviously not all - but way too many lol. Especially the straight ones omg.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users
Oh I forgot the mention - an unbelievable amount are so fucking obsessed with themselves and how they look. Like yes, as a model you need to have a certain amount of “obsession” with your self to make sure you look good and maintain it. But for some reason, I find male models can be on a whole other level lol. They think they’re gods greatest gift. Obviously not all - but way too many lol. Especially the straight ones omg.

I half-expected this reply! I’ve only known one “real” male model... it was a one night stand sort of thing. Although he was nice and very interesting (South African, well traveled and stuff) he had this entitled ego. He was really rude to a male friend of mine, basically told him “fuck off, she’s mine” in Dutch, in front of loads of people. It wasn’t like this friend was being handsy or anything, so it seemed very uncalled for. He works mostly for ASOS but has done other more impressive work recently. I always wondered if it was because he was good looking, and knew all the girls wanted him. So he was kinda used to getting what/who he wanted? He’s only early 20’s so maybe it’s immaturity. :cautious:

I don’t think male models get as famous, or stay famous, compared to female models. Is there a reason? Am I wrong? I can’t think of many “Kate Moss” male equivalents, but I probably just don’t notice them.

I don’t think male models get as famous, or stay famous, compared to female models. Is there a reason? Am I wrong? I can’t think of many “Kate Moss” male equivalents, but I probably just don’t notice them.

The modeling aspect of fashion is female dominated. Even though men have a longer shelf life - there is not nearly as much money nor opportunities in it for them as there are women. This has to do with consumerism as women buy more than men. Look at how much the men’s clothing industry makes globally every year vs women’s clothing, then add the beauty industry. Even beyond that - women are just more interested in fashion & beauty then men are. You can compare this with men and sports.

At our agency, we spend much more time focusing on the women then we do the men, because there is a much higher success rate aka money.

Reactions: 3 users
Can 100% attest to this :lol:

I feel like thighs are very important in modelling yet obviously measurements are rarely disclosed. Especially by reliable sources. What's the average runway/HF versus commercial versus Victoria's Secret measurement for thighs? Random but very curious (and a little drunk :whistling:)

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
How did you learn how to walk? I'm having such a difficult time owning my walk, and I get kinda awkward when I'm under a lot of pressure (when working with big designers, choreographers, great models -- you name it). I'm naturally pretty averse to the spotlight, so I'm wondering if I'll ever get to love the rush of the runway like most girls. This is probably the most difficult problem I've faced at work; I just can't seem to get used to it. Any advice would be super appreciated.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

1. "If you're early you're on time, if you're on time you're late, if you're late, you're fired."
Don't know why but this was always my favorite advice.

2. No, but I lived with a girl who stole another girls lucky jacket before a Valentino request, which quickly ended in tears. Pure sabotage.

3. No makeover, but I started with a shit mother agency. Started out commercial, then after joining SG I lost weight into HF territory and got permission to change my hair quite drastically (really I just wanted to ensure that I never end up commercial and fat).

4. Scouted, then later on switched to better agencies by applying/networking.

5. Quite well. Rejection validates my impostor syndrome and gives me a reason to reevaluate all of my life choices. So great. So fun.

6. Runway. The actual job is short, I enjoy the hours of waiting backstage and watching people work, and the "results" are immediate so you don't have to wait around for weeks for the pictures while wondering if you looked puffy.

• Love
  • Jizztastic
Reactions: 16 users
I hope this isn’t prying, but would anyone care to share social media growth tips?

I love seeing models IG’s, especially well managed ones. Some of my friends who model have 16k, 11.5k and 19k. The friend who has 19k gets waaay less modelling jobs and doesn’t do runway, compared to the friend with 16k. However she’s very popular and wealthy irl, so it’s probably some of that? Or bots... it just surprised me when I noticed since she’s not very skinny or famous as a model.

• Do any of the VIP’s wish to share their follower count?
  • Do you have tips for managing the aesthetic/theme for the account? Do you even bother with that?
  • Personal pet peeves/things you hate when people do on IG?
  • When did you notice a significant increase in followers? What prompted it?
  • What apps do you use to edit photos/do you edit photos?
  • Does it matter in the industry? Are you likely to get jobs/network if you’ve got a “popular” IG?
  • (Bonus question) Weirdest message you’ve ever received in your DM’s? The standard “so sexy bb let me look after you goddess so sexy I like it hmmmmm” doesn’t count.

Reactions: 1 user
On the topic of social media, I’m more interested in hearing the perspectives of VIPs (models and insiders) re: how they view social media and the role it plays in the modelling/fashion industry. Particularly those of you who have been working in the industry prior to the point when social media became so important. I’ve read about how all modelling agencies now require models to have an Instagram account, girls now apparently get scouted on Instagram, and a model with a big social media following is more likely to book jobs than one with a small following. Is all this in fact true? And how do you feel about it? For those that have been in the industry for a while, how has your job changed (model or insider) since social media became such a big deal? And for those VIPs that are somewhat new to the industry, how do you feel about social media and it’s significance? Do you feel pressure to increase the number of your followers? Do you think your social media following impacts the number of jobs models book?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users