Ask a model anything

Have any of you worked with Gigi and Kendall? If yes, how are their attitudes?
I want to know about this too! (Also Bella, Kaia - not that I would categorize her with the others - etc.)

And also:
1. Have you ever worked with Vlada, Natasha Poly, Snejana, Anna S, Natalia V, etc.?

2. What do you eat for dinner (if you eat dinner)? Do you often skip meals or just eat very small portions? I know some of it has been answered already, I just want to hear others answers on this as well.

3. How often do you eat unhealthy food, like fastfood, chocolate, cake, chips, etc.? I assume you models don't eat any of it very often, just curious if it's something you eat once in a while - once a week, two weeks, months or so, or NEVER? And if yes, what?

4. What do you usually drink when drinking alcohol?

5. What are the biggest measurements for a HF girl? I previously read that hips had to be under 35", waist under 24" - is this correct? What about bust?

6. Do a lot of people, like fans, contact you on social media - instagram fx? Do you respond or are you usually too busy? (Not trying to stalk any models, nor do I intend to write to models on IG, just curious how you feel about and deal with social media)

Would love to read some answers. This thread is genius!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Is it too late for me to try commercial modeling?
I'm closer to 30 than 20 at this point.
I've done some modeling gigs here and there, but never anything major, so I don't really have a portfolio. It'd be a lot of random test/fashion shots that I think might be worse than submitting nothing. I'd essentially be a beginner in the eyes of any agency.
I feel confident that I could do well if given the chance, but I have no idea where to start.
I live in LA.
Anyone know of any agencies I could submit to without embarrassing myself/breaking their age limits for even asking?

Is it too late for me to try commercial modeling?
I'm closer to 30 than 20 at this point.
I've done some modeling gigs here and there, but never anything major, so I don't really have a portfolio. It'd be a lot of random test/fashion shots that I think might be worse than submitting nothing. I'd essentially be a beginner in the eyes of any agency.
I feel confident that I could do well if given the chance, but I have no idea where to start.
I live in LA.
Anyone know of any agencies I could submit to without embarrassing myself/breaking their age limits for even asking?
You could try submitting simple digitals to a bunch of agencies in LA but don't mention your age. It's a huge risk, but it's not worth not trying. I would say it's highly unlikely though; I was told I was too old at 20 when I started.

• Love
I want to know about this too! (Also Bella, Kaia - not that I would categorize her with the others - etc.)

And also:
1. Have you ever worked with Vlada, Natasha Poly, Snejana, Anna S, Natalia V, etc.?

2. What do you eat for dinner (if you eat dinner)? Do you often skip meals or just eat very small portions? I know some of it has been answered already, I just want to hear others answers on this as well.

3. How often do you eat unhealthy food, like fastfood, chocolate, cake, chips, etc.? I assume you models don't eat any of it very often, just curious if it's something you eat once in a while - once a week, two weeks, months or so, or NEVER? And if yes, what?

4. What do you usually drink when drinking alcohol?

5. What are the biggest measurements for a HF girl? I previously read that hips had to be under 35", waist under 24" - is this correct? What about bust?

6. Do a lot of people, like fans, contact you on social media - instagram fx? Do you respond or are you usually too busy? (Not trying to stalk any models, nor do I intend to write to models on IG, just curious how you feel about and deal with social media)

Would love to read some answers. This thread is genius!
pre: No but have interacted with hadids and jenners at a few fashion parties and they seemed 'nice' but entirely selfish and in their own element
1. No
2. I eat dinner almost always (I prefer to eat in the evening and not have breakfast). I like having sashimi, soups, a protein (tofu, chicken, shellfish or fish) with vegetables and lemon or some sort of seasoning. Some special days I'll have a more carb heavy dinner, especially when I am doing fasted cardio in the morning. I skip lunch or breakfast way more often than I skip dinner.
3. Fastfood--never, chocolate--more often that I want to admit. Cake, sometimes for my own birthday or a special event, but I try to "make up" for the calories by not having much that day. I don't restrict below 600 calories a day ever, because it drives me crazy, so restricting to make room a nice treat meal isn't that hard when it needs to be done.
4. Typically, vodka or tequila with soda and LOTS of lime; champagne or a glass of red wine sometimes, especially when it's free ;) . When I want something special, I'll have a mixed drink so long as the mixer isn't too sweet and I know what's in the drink.
5. If by HF, you mean any girl that does any shows in a major fashion week, or does fashion editorials, measurements for bust can be anywhere between 30-34 typically, depends a lot on back/rib cage (no huge boobs allowed, though, obviously). Waist ideally 23-24, but 25 is sometiemes ok especially for more narrow-hipped androgynous girls. As far as hips are concerned, 34 is ideal. 33'' is loved, 35 is tolerated. Above 35 and you're sent home. For couture girls, drop all of those measurements about a full inch. Standard couture models are probably about 31-22.5-33

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
You could try submitting simple digitals to a bunch of agencies in LA but don't mention your age. It's a huge risk, but it's not worth not trying. I would say it's highly unlikely though; I was told I was too old at 20 when I started.
Fair point. I don't really have anything to lose. I'll just be honest if they ask. Thanks.

3. Fastfood--never, chocolate--more often that I want to admit.
Anddd chocolate is actually not that bad for you - especially if you eat dark chocolate. Of course it’s not calorie-free, but it is a powerful source of antioxidants, it is said to improve brain functions, improve blood flow and pressure, etc :grin:

Yeah, things like runway show and editorials don't really pay (you may get a couple hundred but after fees it's effectively nothing). They serve to "promote" the model. A true supermodel might get something but 95% get next to nothing. They pay is more in the prestige.
Saint Laurent exclusive = $
Givenchy campaign = $$
Old Navy campaign = $$$
Old Navy commercial = $$$$$

I'm surprised an Old Navy campaign pays more than a Givenchy campaign (I have never heard of Old Navy until now)
Where do other brands stand in terms of money made from campaigns (i.e. Burberry)?
Out of sheer curiosity, how much does one $ stand for?

I'm just curious about this one.

Have any Russian models or models from ex-soviet countries have had trouble securing work visas in the US?

A few of my friends from Russia or Ex-Soviet countries have had trouble getting US visas, despite traveling short-term for work conferences, and in one case, despite having studied in the US previously and paid taxes. They aren't even traveling from their home country, they're traveling from Canada.

Bumping this thread because I need a distraction from studying! Ask away, or bump any older questions you think might still be relevant

:flower:
1 - Do models eat at backstage? If yes, what kind of food?
2 - How often do you treat yourself with "bad" foods?
3 - What kind of diet the agencies give to models that need to lose weight?
4 - How it is to live in a models apartment? Do you have any stories to share?

:flower:
2 - How often do you treat yourself with "bad" foods?
3 - What kind of diet the agencies give to models that need to lose weight?
4 - How it is to live in a models apartment? Do you have any stories to share?
1. Yes models eat backstage. Generally during fashion week once the shows have started, getting the chance to eat is pretty rare so most girls just eat whatever's available, focusing more on the fruits/veggies/salads/yogurts and vegetarian options. Generally (sadly) its a lot of sandwiches and pastries available. A few girls will bring food, things like protein bars, fruit, salads, but not many.
2. I'd say I treat myself full on maybe once ever 3-4 weeks. Then there's a few small indulgences that I factor in on a more regular basis, like a bit of chocolate, or a small portion of something from catering that looks absolutely delicious. I know some people are the opposite (most models find it mindblowing I have a bag of dove chocolates in my fridge) but personally I find small amounts of certain foods can keep me satisfied.
3. I had one agency give me a meal plan that was oat or greek yogurt with berries, or eggs and greens for breakfast, lunch was a salad with whatever non starchy vegetables and small amount of lean protein, dinner was lean protein and veggies. Veggies, small amounts of low sugar fruits, mozzeralla cheese sticks(???) and edamame for snacks if needed. Worked alright but once I found my own thing I felt way better. Aside from that plan, I've just been told eat healthy, don't do too many weighted squats, work out, etc etc
4. Model apartments are my personal hell 80% of the time. Most girls don't clean their dishes( or their food, I've seen girls eat 3 day old spaghetti bolognese that was left out) , it gets way too crowded during fashion week, and sometimes I just want some peace and quiet. That being said I've met a lot of really great friends staying in apartments so it is what it is.
Also it's weirdly interesting seeing how everyone eats lol. Some girls are super strict and eat next to nothing (as far as I see anyways), others have insane metabolisms and eat mcdonalds almost every day and some have clearly never heard of a calorie and just focus on how "healthy" something is. Don't get me wrong I love avocado but a whole one in one sitting and a big bowl of oatmeal seemed... odd

• Love
  • Jizztastic
Reactions: 13 users
I’m not a model but at a (legit, big name) shoot I was just at, this average bodied model ate several slices of pizza on set when salad, nuts, and fruit were options too. The clothing was quite tight and revealing too, so the shots after lunch looked awkward and bloated. Clearly there’s a spectrum with how conscious models are of catered food backstage :lol:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Bumping this thread because I need a distraction from studying! Ask away, or bump any older questions you think might still be relevant
1. Is SGF ever talked about between models you know, or is it kind of a taboo topic? (despite many models being/looking on here).
2. Would you say there is noticeable competitiveness between models (in terms of booking shows, appearance, body etc.), or is the atmosphere mainly supportive?
3. Do models ever have a say over their photo being photoshopped or not?
4. If you had to warn anybody who is just beginning modelling on anything, what would it be?
5. Do you sometimes wish you'd pursued a different job/gone to uni (if you didn't), or has modelling always been an obvious choice?
Thanks! ❤

1. Is SGF ever talked about between models you know, or is it kind of a taboo topic? (despite many models being/looking on here).
2. Would you say there is noticeable competitiveness between models (in terms of booking shows, appearance, body etc.), or is the atmosphere mainly supportive?
3. Do models ever have a say over their photo being photoshopped or not?
4. If you had to warn anybody who is just beginning modelling on anything, what would it be?
5. Do you sometimes wish you'd pursued a different job/gone to uni (if you didn't), or has modelling always been an obvious choice?
Thanks! ❤
1. Very taboo. I've mentioned it to maybe one girl who said she hadnt heard of it and I decided not to bring it up again
2. I'd say mostly supportive. I have my core group who we all hype each other up. There obviously some competition, some girls in the apartment will try and brag about how much they're working or ask what I'm up to but I tend to keep to myself, not cause drama, try not to focus too much on what everyone else is/isnt doing and just do my best.
3. I get literally no say in anything. Ever. At most a hair stylist might ask which way I normally part my hair or a stylist may ask for an opinion on a small detail such as which shoes but even that's rare. I find it really upsetting when models are blamed for shoots because they have zero say (yes that includes big names, most decisions are either made before you show up or after you leave)
4. Any reputable agency won't make you pay for anything up front. Trust your gut if something (a photographer, an agency, a contract,) feels off. Treat EVERYONE with the same level of respect/kindness whether its the person grabbing coffee or Marc Jacobs himself. And be willing to work your ass off (literally and figuratively) and shut your mouth. It's not an easy job, shoes are going to hurt, castings will be long, you'll get rejected more than you can dream. Learn to suck it up, smile through the day and complain to your boyfriend or mom when you go home.
5. Modellings always been something I've dreamed of and I didn't really have a lot of time where I considered other options. That being said there's been times where I'm watching all my friends have fun at Uni, while I'm sitting alone in a hotel room in a random city or running around to my 6th casting at the days where there's a certain jealously because almost all of my friends are together at the same school appearing to have the time of their lives. That being said, my life also looks much better on social media so I'm getting better at shrugging it off.

• Love
  • Jizztastic
Reactions: 11 users
I'm just curious about this one.

Have any Russian models or models from ex-soviet countries have had trouble securing work visas in the US?

A few of my friends from Russia or Ex-Soviet countries have had trouble getting US visas, despite traveling short-term for work conferences, and in one case, despite having studied in the US previously and paid taxes. They aren't even traveling from their home country, they're traveling from Canada.

You need 50 Tearsheets to apply for a US visa to work. It’s definitely not easy as it looks, and many people work without visas...

It’s definitely not easy as it looks, and many people work without visas...
What bothers me with visas is that they often deny someone along with some stupid excuses and it really sucks to know you did everything you could, spent tons of time and energy only to get absolutely nothing... You need to have a lot of luck after all.
Tbh, for me this was the worst part of modeling since my first application for USA visa was denied... :nervous:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
can u switch mother agencies? i have a contract with my mother agency and my NY one, but my mother agency is not doing its job (bad booking, sending me to sketchy places etccc), should i leave once the contract is up? can you even be signed without a mother agent? is it heard of to switch mother agencies? model to model question here lol

If you could answer some more... :shame:

1. What do your model friends think about models like Bella and Gigi? Or even worse, Barbara Palvin... or they just don't comment about their bodies? :hyper:

2. I heard that russian models are the ones that usually don't wash the dishes or clean the models apartment... is that true?

3. HF models dream about doing VS? I know they pay a lot more, even though they're not having a good year.

If you could answer some more... :shame:

1. What do your model friends think about models like Bella and Gigi? Or even worse, Barbara Palvin... or they just don't comment about their bodies? :hyper:

2. I heard that russian models are the ones that usually don't wash the dishes or clean the models apartment... is that true?

3. HF models dream about doing VS? I know they pay a lot more, even though they're not having a good year.
1. Some girls idolize them, especially their style/ instagram aesthetic or even worse their bodies which :superpuke:Although I heard a rumour through another model that Gigi was at a fitting for a show and ripped the dress she was supposed to wear. Some girls (I'd more or less include myself here) are annoyed by how far they've gotten/ how much they get away with just because of their names/connections. And its widely accepted that their stats are complete crap.

2. I haven't had too many russian roommates surprisingly. So far I haven't noticed one particular group of girls that is particularly bad, it more just comes down to if their parents raised them to clean up after themselves/ if they understand the idea that other people also have to use the dishes

3. I'd say a lot of girls would kill for VS. Not even just for the money of the one job, but also because it can really help establish you, earn you better clients, more followers etc. Personally when I was younger I dreamed of doing Pink but I've kinda given up on it, the companies sinking and I think I'm too skinny for their image these days.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users