Ask a model anything

Question: models, do you have your teeth professionally whitened, or are you just obsessive about dental hygiene? Or both?

The "model lifestyle" is hard on teeth color. Coffee, cigarettes, tea, etc. Some are lucky and their teeth stay white. But a lot of girls get professional whitening (Xoom, Britesmile) at least once a year. Also some get custom trays and use Opalescence gel or something similar for maintenance. That is also my routine.

Reactions: 7 users
The "model lifestyle" is hard on teeth color. Coffee, cigarettes, tea, etc. Some are lucky and their teeth stay white. But a lot of girls get professional whitening (Xoom, Britesmile) at least once a year. Also some get custom trays and use Opalescence gel or something similar for maintenance. That is also my routine.

Thank you! Since joining SG I have appreciated more the amount of "maintenance" a model requires. It must be expensive and time consuming.

I've noticed extremely tall, lanky girls slipping protein bars into their [designer] bags, gripping lipsticks in their hands before casually exiting the store, stuffing 3 boxes worth of bandaids into the one they intend to purchase (or maybe not even) on much too frequent a basis for it to be coincidental. I watched as a baby model maneuvered a bag of Swedish fish and shitty headphones (???) into her tote while waiting in line at Duane reade the other day. The only other people whom I've seen swiping shit are 11-year old skater kids, and that is even rare. It's just odd to observe these delicate giants in $200 Stella McCartney workout pants flicking $1.25 bags of shitty candy into their $5,000 bags. Is this a thing???

I've noticed extremely tall, lanky girls slipping protein bars into their [designer] bags, gripping lipsticks in their hands before casually exiting the store, stuffing 3 boxes worth of bandaids into the one they intend to purchase (or maybe not even) on much too frequent a basis for it to be coincidental. I watched as a baby model maneuvered a bag of Swedish fish and shitty headphones (???) into her tote while waiting in line at Duane reade the other day. The only other people whom I've seen swiping shit are 11-year old skater kids, and that is even rare. It's just odd to observe these delicate giants in $200 Stella McCartney workout pants flicking $1.25 bags of shitty candy into their $5,000 bags. Is this a thing???

I've heard of girls doing it "for the rush". It's dumb as fuck. You really want a rush? Try getting arrested.

• Funny
Reactions: 4 users

Pretty sure the majority of them do not pay for these designer bags themselves... Many girls are broke as fuck, receive gifts from work, various men, etc. and manage to look the part while still having to go out every night to get free dinner.

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users
I remember having a discussion with a good friend (who is now earning a substantial amount, thank god) about how she would finish a day of shooting for publications like Vogue and head straight to the supermarket to see how much she could steal for dinner as she literally could not afford to buy food. I think it's not at all uncommon.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to ask two things, I hope one of the industry insiders can take the time to answer. It's very much appreciated! @FashionThin @SugarFree @Artemis @sabine @Pharzuph

1) Would agencies ever (threaten to) drop models like, say, Barbara Palvin or Kate Upton because of their weight? Clearly they can't be happy about the way they look, but then again I assume they are cash cows for their agencies, so maybe agencies have sort of given up on them?

2) Can anybody explain to me what is going on with PGM Model Management in Lugano/Switzerland? According to WWD they bought the Paris and NYC branches of Women in 2013. As far as I understand, they also own (a majority of) Elite and the move was to strengthen their North America presence via TheSociety and Women NYC. I still don't quite understand what kind of agency PGM is? On the one hand, they have a booker (Sven Luzio, as far as I know) who worked at Women Paris for a long time before being responsible for PGM and they do weird agency magazines on issuu.com with lots of top models they 'represent'. On the other hand, they don't even have a website, aren't mentioned on models.com and I have never seen them credited in any fashion publication. So what are they doing? Are they an operating agency? Or are they only 'there' for investment reasons?

I'd like to ask two things, I hope one of the industry insiders can take the time to answer. It's very much appreciated! @FashionThin @SugarFree @Artemis @sabine @Pharzuph

1) Would agencies ever (threaten to) drop models like, say, Barbara Palvin or Kate Upton because of their weight? Clearly they can't be happy about the way they look, but then again I assume they are cash cows for their agencies, so maybe agencies have sort of given up on them?

2) Can anybody explain to me what is going on with PGM Model Management in Lugano/Switzerland? According to WWD they bought the Paris and NYC branches of Women in 2013. As far as I understand, they also own (a majority of) Elite and the move was to strengthen their North America presence via TheSociety and Women NYC. I still don't quite understand what kind of agency PGM is? On the one hand, they have a booker (Sven Luzio, as far as I know) who worked at Women Paris for a long time before being responsible for PGM and they do weird agency magazines on issuu.com with lots of top models they 'represent'. On the other hand, they don't even have a website, aren't mentioned on models.com and I have never seen them credited in any fashion publication. So what are they doing? Are they an operating agency? Or are they only 'there' for investment reasons?
Very intriguing questions; I've actually been wondering about your first for eons - how does one stay represented when their bodies are udder *ahem* utter embarrassments?

The second question had never even occurred to me, but now I'd rather love to know . . .

@FashionThin, you clearly are to-the-point, honest, and beat around no bushes. If you know the answers to either of these, may I please second @Ellie's request for your no-nonsense reply?

1) No, absolutely not. You've just listed two big earners whose value would decrease if they altered their appearance. The brands that hire these girls do so as their target demographic want to see a more diverse range of women in their advertisements, or are males with an entirely different idea of 'attractive' to the SG community - you have to remember that according to the vast majority, these models 'pushing the boundaries and industry norms' are something to be celebrated.

I'm unable to offer anything towards the 2nd question, sorry.

Reactions: 1 users
Asked in another thread, but:
I wonder if plus size models actually sell tho? Her SI cover didn't receive a nice feedback, it was praised by women and stuff but that's not sports illustrated's target.
I'm actually very curious about this. Do plus-size models actually sell? Or is it just one or two who got their fame first by rattling up outrage on social media, and the rest have to keep their day jobs?

@FashionThin @sore @Artemis @sabine

Asked in another thread, but:

I'm actually very curious about this. Do plus-size models actually sell? Or is it just one or two who got their fame first by rattling up outrage on social media, and the rest have to keep their day jobs?

@FashionThin @sore @Artemis @sabine

We don't have a plus-size division and never will. I don't know very much about "plus" or "curve" :hahano: but I don't see how there's any money in it. Like I've literally never had a client call looking for fat girls for their next campaign. Or for anything.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: 7 users
We don't have a plus-size division and never will. I don't know very much about "plus" or "curve" :hahano: but I don't see how there's any money in it. Like I've literally never had a client call looking for fat girls for their next campaign. Or for anything.

Obviously not in high fashion but surely in commercial modelling? I have a friend that pretty much just does catalogue work, online (ASOS) and the occassional magazine spread (Cosmopolitan) and she makes pretty good money - obviously she's not super rich but modelling is her only job and she recently bought an apartment with her earnings so she is doing pretty well for herself.

Idk if this is the right thread but I wanted to ask...you know how every season there is a new face that becomes like a top walker. A girl that walks almost every important shows in every city. Then suddenly this girl 'disappear', like she doesn't attend FW next season. It's not like she's not getting casted, her agency doesn't even let her go to castings. Like why does this happen? Is it because said model didn't get any campaign/very few jobs after fashion week?

• Agree
Idk if this is the right thread but I wanted to ask...you know how every season there is a new face that becomes like a top walker. A girl that walks almost every important shows in every city. Then suddenly this girl 'disappear', like she doesn't attend FW next season. It's not like she's not getting casted, her agency doesn't even let her go to castings. Like why does this happen? Is it because said model didn't get any campaign/very few jobs after fashion week?
The casting directors have already moved onto the next 'top walker'

• Useful
  • Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering... are any of you current working models in debt ? and if yes,how much ?

• Agree
I just saw that Céline Bethmann of Germany's Next Top Model fame is listed on Elite Paris' main board.
http://www.elitemodel.fr/fr/mainboard/women/1305498/celine-b
She's one of the better winners and has worked hard on her body. I think Elite Milan has been trying to develop her for a few months now, and she's already booked a Sportmax lookbook and an Elle Italia ed, so it could be worse.

Still, I don't quite get why she's on the main board so early on? Meanwhile, girls like Mad Manning, Hanna Sprehe or Julia Merkelbach, who have booked CK campaigns and LV exclusives, are still on the development board.
Can somebody explain to me the policy of moving girls to the main board early vs. have them stay in development forever?