Anyone else just loves old movies?

MCgirl

Rising Star
Mar 13, 2013
Monaco/ Paris/ Everywhere Everywhere
I just love everything about old movies; the elegance, the effortless class, the romance, the mystery. I just find it all so captivating, especially films noirs.

From Audrey to Hepburn to Lauren Bacall and Gene Tierney, these women are so beautiful and just entrancing. Not to mention usually skinny and always perfectly poised.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21703-1407891237-30.gif

And the hair is great:

tumblr_n06ktxsE8J1rzs028o1_500.gif

Not to mention handsome men:
giphy.gif
(Yes, yes we will)

And women who know how to get what they want:

tumblr_nbwu9kf7o91qdm4tlo2_500.gif
(She may be be a crazy murderess, yet she still finds time to look perfect while doing the murdering. Such an inspiration)

Anyone else shares my semi-unhealthy obsession? :grin:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
OH YES!! :luv:
I still have so much old movies to watch, but I liked each one I watched for their elegance and interesting story lines, it's just so beautiful.
Sometimes you find such strange but poetic old movies that you just don't see around these days!

I'm just beginning to watch old movies and I'm really falling in love with them. I watched Roman Holiday last week, my first with Audrey Hepburn (still haven't watched Breakfast at Tiffanys, I'm bad) and loved it. I agree, I really like the elegance and the chicness of both the movies in general and the ladies in particular. Anyone know a good place to find french classics with english subtitles? I really want to watch them, like Belle de jour, but I'm not fluent in french so I really need the subs.

Anything with Bacall in it is just phenomenal. Jane Birkin and Brigitte Bardot are known for as beauty and style icons, but their movies are highly underrated. But I think any French film is underrated. I adore classic movies because there were no computerized effects or blurring of imperfections, so they become so much more enjoyable and not too fantasy-like.

@zombiehero there are a few French movies on Netflix, but not a large amount of options. La Piscine is a must-see classic French film. And is Mon Oncle. So is Vivre Sa Vie. Anna Karina is definitely an underrated style icon. A modern one called Jeune et Jolie is on Netflix, so subtitles are available. If I can't find a movie I typically use Putlocker since it's fairly simple enough to use. I've heard subtitles are available on there but I've yet to find it so I have to stick with what I know. I would try googling watch "movie name" online with subtitles

@FrançoiseEllyn Unfortunately the selection on Netflix isn't the same in Sweden as it is in the US and other countries, there are very few classic movies available and they are all American I believe. Thanks anyway! I have been doing just that, searching for the name of the movie with subtitles to watch and I've found a few (for example The Young Ladies of Rochefort & The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, both I adored!) but I was wondering if someone knew one place that had more of them collected, haha. Oh well, I will keep looking. Thanks for the recommendations too, I'll see if I can find them. :)

Yes!!! I've loved old movies ever since I was a kid, I just love the atmosphere of them, everyone looking glamorous and everyone with a tiny cinched waist. Lauren Bacall has always been my favorite to watch, although Barbarella is one of my favourite movies based on how strange it is, I definitely recommend giving it a watch if you haven't already

Love old films!

What I wouldn't give for a SG movie night. Just a bunch of chic ladies watching classy movies without all the pizza and brownies and snacks people keep trying to force on me when we have movie nights. (Seriously, what part of "no means no" don't people understand?)

Reactions: 1 users
Love old films!

What I wouldn't give for a SG movie night. Just a bunch of chic ladies watching classy movies without all the pizza and brownies and snacks people keep trying to force on me when we have movie nights. (Seriously, what part of "no means no" don't people understand?)

I hear you. :)

I love old films too. Growing up, TNT was my favourite channel for late night watching. They've changed programming since, and I think TCM comes close now to their (TNT's) original programming.

Its been a while though I have to admit since I've tuned into watching any old movies, but the last one I watched, was Cat on a hot tin roof, with Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman.

Do you have any favourites to recommend for oldschool cinema newbie? Preferably date night movies :D

Do you have any favourites to recommend for oldschool cinema newbie? Preferably date night movies :D

To Catch a Thief,
North by Northwest
From Russia With Love

These are all ones with tons of action and great plots. I personally love Hitchcock for classic movies, totally original...

So many options... To have and have not (the movie in which Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart fell in love on the set and later married), Some Like It Hot, Gentlemen prefer blondes. And if you want to laugh, the Fearless Vampire Killers from 1967 is great :) a bit of romance, some hilarious chasing scenes

Not exactly Hollywood glamour, but one of my absolute favorite films that I think everyone should watch, is La Jetée, a French film from 1962 that seamlessly merges a beautiful love story in the context of an intriguing science fiction plot. It's a short film (28 minutes long), but it is so unique and original. And it's easy to find online...

ABBLm36.jpg

@FrançoiseEllyn Unfortunately the selection on Netflix isn't the same in Sweden as it is in the US and other countries, there are very few classic movies available and they are all American I believe.

A little bird told me that if you use an VPN service that changes your IP location (like Hola or Zen Mate) you can just switch countries in Netflix and get a much wider selection of movies that way... :whistling:

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Not exactly Hollywood glamour, but one of my absolute favorite films that I think everyone should watch, is La Jetée, a French film from 1962 that seamlessly merges a beautiful love story in the context of an intriguing science fiction plot. It's a short film (28 minutes long), but it is so unique and original. And it's easy to find online...

ABBLm36.jpg

A little bird told me that if you use an VPN service that changes your IP location (like Hola or Zen Mate) you can just switch countries in Netflix and get a much wider selection of movies that way... :whistling:

Oh thank you so much for this! I had completely forgot about Hola (since changing computers I never installed it). I will definitely try this out when I get back from my vacation. Thanks dear!

Anyone have any favorite silent movies? I'm pretty new to the "genre" so any recommendations are welcome. :luv:

I totally feel this, I always enjoy watching old movies rather than recent ones :) something about them just get me so inspired....Casablanca is my all Times favorite, but I also have to mention La Piscine (Jane Birkin + Alain Delon :luv:) and Breakfast At Tiffanys, of course! That movie is the biggest thinspo ever for me.

^I forgot Love Story, it's not that old as a movie but I hold it in my heart and Ali MacGraw is everything!

and how! my friend and i are regulars at the film noir festival up in SF ^.^

on a side note, just recently saw stanley kubrick's rendition of lolita (1962)--soooooo good, highly highly recommend; but! if you havent read the book (which i also highly highly recommend) it can be a little difficult to follow as, like all of kubrick's films, its not so cut and dry--its more of a companion work to the novel than a self-contained film--almost like kubrick's interpretation of humbert's psyche; lot of layers going on

and how! my friend and i are regulars at the film noir festival up in SF ^.^

on a side note, just recently saw stanley kubrick's rendition of lolita (1962)--soooooo good, highly highly recommend; but! if you havent read the book (which i also highly highly recommend) it can be a little difficult to follow as, like all of kubrick's films, its not so cut and dry--its more of a companion work to the novel than a self-contained film--almost like kubrick's interpretation of humbert's psyche; lot of layers going on
And it's a million times better than the 97 version. If you read the book, you notice loads of dark humor in it, and this one completely lacks it while justifying Humbert's actions. I saw it as a direct rendition of the novel, minus the humor. BUT I still love it, mostly because the acting is so so so good and Jeremy Irons is an absolute BABE. God, older men are just better.

And it's a million times better than the 97 version. If you read the book, you notice loads of dark humor in it, and this one completely lacks it while justifying Humbert's actions. I saw it as a direct rendition of the novel, minus the humor. BUT I still love it, mostly because the acting is so so so good and Jeremy Irons is an absolute BABE. God, older men are just better.
i actually havent seen the 90s version but i am curious! i'd really love to see a version (or remake myself *fingerscrossed*) with an accurate aged lolita--i dont know how the 90s one went down, but its total bullshit that kubrick wasnt allowed to cast a younger actress like he wanted--his version is so mild when it comes to visuals, all implication!

i actually havent seen the 90s version but i am curious! i'd really love to see a version (or remake myself *fingerscrossed*) with an accurate aged lolita--i dont know how the 90s one went down, but its total bullshit that kubrick wasnt allowed to cast a younger actress like he wanted--his version is so mild when it comes to visuals, all implication!
Dominique Swan was 17 when it came out, but I believe was 15 when she was cast. She does do a fantastic job at playing a younger girl, her mannerisms match a fourteen year old's fantastically. But that's still not young enough. The story alone is full of controversy, so a movie no doubt would have loads.

I honestly hardly watch any new movies any more, just keep looking for old ones I never got around to (or rewatching ones I've already seen a dozen times). The costumes are so lovely, and the dialogue and acting can be so much more nuanced and interesting. Sometimes I think the production code wasn't so bad if it made studios be more inventive and subtle. Some favorites:

Rear Window--because Grace Kelly is gorgeous and Edith Head was a genius:

2391.jpg

green-suit-hat-rear-w.jpg

All About Eve, because Betty Davis is so bitchy

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7059-1403622002-19.gif

tumblr_ng4mra4X581qiwrzoo1_500.gif

Gone with the Wind, because every girl needs a little bit of Scarlett

tumblr_nsd01yhWAj1qlzdpio1_250.gif

tumblr_nsd01yhWAj1qlzdpio2_250.gif

tumblr_nplbruX1o31r11s4xo1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 user