any agents on SG?

cazza

Runt
Aug 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi girls, is anyone on here an agent? Sorry if that's dumb common knowledge, I know we have loads of models.

I just wanted advice about working at an agency, as an agent. I did a degree in Communications, and I'm 25 now. I just thought it be a good idea for me since I worked with a few agencies over the years (as a model) in different countries, not many, but more than an average person? Some big (Next) and some really small.
What does one need to do, to be considered valuable? Is previous experience as a model helpful (ie, you know the ins and outs of castings, jobs, travel contracts, diet, walking)? I would LOVE to be able to apply for internships and put in my due time, but I'm totally independent living in Sydney so there's no way I could get by without working 40 hours paid per week.
Would love any advice! Thanks :)

Hey, we have some similarities there, I also studied communications and am working as an agent/booker. I'm 22 so only a little younger than you as well.

It's a competitive world, you need to have something that sets you apart form everyone else, it's useful if you have some talent that enables you to offer more than your average booker, if you're also a graphic designer, have experience in marketing or advertising, or are a fantastic photographer with all the gear then you'll be able to fulfill useful agency tasks beyond your job description and will therefore more useful and hirable. Your experience as a model is also useful, I don't know many agents who haven't experienced life as a model/talent of some kind.

Sydney's difficult as last I heard there weren't many jobs on offer.. however with IMG causing massive amounts of upheaval, I know a lot of agencies are struggling so I'm sure that will create a fair amount of shift around, get in now while things are uncertain and prove how you'll be able to help that agency stay afloat against IMG (I have a lot of contact with all major Sydney based agencies).

If you can essentially prove that you'll do a better job than anyone currently in that position, you'll have a higher chance of being considered and one of the easiest ways of doing that is having a broad umbrella of talents that enable you to cover multiple roles within the agency (I was headhunted straight out of university for my position due to my range of skills I had acquired, it's worth it). You also have to show your eagerness to fulfill mundane, brain numbing tasks like filing contracts and washing dishes, you won't have to do these things forever, but if you're willing to do the shit jobs no one wants, you'll gain respect faster than you think.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any more questions.

wow @sabine, exactly the kind of advice I was after. I do have some marketing experience and I currently do a bit of website management where I am now (we sell optical stuff so not QUITE the same lol). I'll send my CV around with a good cover letter, showing I'm good value for money. It's probably one of those things you have to keep trying at for a long time, but I'm in no hurry yet. I might PM you for more precise tips some time soon :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was headhunted straight out of university for my position due to my range of skills I had acquired, it's worth it.

wow sabine, thanks so much for your post, it was so interesting to read:kiss:

it's very impressing you got headhunted, may i ask which skills you had acquired additionally, which made you so attractive for your agency?

:kiss:

wow @sabine, exactly the kind of advice I was after. I do have some marketing experience and I currently do a bit of website management where I am now (we sell optical stuff so not QUITE the same lol). I'll send my CV around with a good cover letter, showing I'm good value for money. It's probably one of those things you have to keep trying at for a long time, but I'm in no hurry yet. I might PM you for more precise tips some time soon :oops:

No worries, happy to help! Sending in a CV is a really good idea as (i'm sure you already know) agencies are WAY to busy to deal with walk ins, we have people come in off the street to hand in CVs all the time and no one has time for that.. however in order to be memorable, you do want to lock in some kind of face time. I would say that following up your CV with an email around a week after sending it in (if they haven't already contacted you) requesting a meeting to discuss the possibility of future work, even if there's nothing available at the time, wouldn't be a bad idea.

wow sabine, thanks so much for your post, it was so interesting to read:kiss:

it's very impressing you got headhunted, may i ask which skills you had acquired additionally, which made you so attractive for your agency?

:kiss:

Thanks, I already had a bit of a reputation as an up and coming photographer as well as a considerable online presence and social media skills. I think that helped me out a lot.

I'm sure other VIPs like @Agytha @ExtraShot @RedAir @Runweigh @SkinnyLove @StarvingSlut etc etc can weigh in as well, as although they do not work on the booking side of things, they have a whole lot of insight on how these things run

Reactions: 1 user
No worries, happy to help! Sending in a CV is a really good idea as (i'm sure you already know) agencies are WAY to busy to deal with walk ins, we have people come in off the street to hand in CVs all the time and no one has time for that.. however in order to be memorable, you do want to lock in some kind of face time. I would say that following up your CV with an email around a week after sending it in (if they haven't already contacted you) requesting a meeting to discuss the possibility of future work, even if there's nothing available at the time, wouldn't be a bad idea.
cm-21545-650528a3316409.gif

Thanks, I already had a bit of a reputation as an up and coming photographer as well as a considerable online presence and social media skills. I think that helped me out a lot.

I'm sure other VIPs like @Agytha @ExtraShot @RedAir @Runweigh @SkinnyLove @StarvingSlut etc etc can weigh in as well, as although they do not work on the booking side of things, they have a whole lot of insight on how these things run

I can speak anecdotally at least :) most of the bookers I have come into contact with have a range of skills that make them appealing beyond the basics; photography skills, web skills, fashion knowledge and contacts, events... You're never "just" a booker, you bring something else to the table that makes you indispensable and more wanted than the other so-and-so who wants to be in your position.

A booker at one of my agencies (with whom I've actually become quite close friends with) owns a club. As a result, a type of symbiotic relationship has formed; models get free entry/drinks and there are always models at the club, therefore bringing attention to it ;) the club itself is now synonymous with the industry and the contacts that come about (which therefore lead to work) are this bookers "edge".

damn! Well I don't own a club, and I'm not awesome in any way really.... but I can code a little :s maybe I need to reconsider some excess school training!

Just a dumb question, should I be including a photo on my CV? Or does it just not matter what I look like?
I find it really funny, some agencies I go into everyone is SO HOT and fashionable, then other times its like 180 pound women with crazy hair and no makeup...I went to an agency yesterday (for a casting) and I couldn't believe the state of the young girl running things there. :wtf:

so...photo or no photo??

@sabine @Agytha xx

Yes to photo. Or at least have a good one on your LinkedIn, web site, etc.

I posted somewhere else how I got in... relationships help a LOT.

Good advice about sending in the CV - don't just "show up". But it's better if you have someone introduce you, then you send the CV.

Also yes,like Agytha said, it's about being multi-talented - you're never just booking.

Wow I'm not even in the fashion industry 'yet' but I found this soo interesting! :shy:

I'm not a booker or anything, but a huge yes to connections being major...I was asked if I wanted to start at IMG Australia simply because I knew one of the head bookers...it was only a week before my 17th birthday this year ;)

@FashionThin @sabine

could you recommend a german agency you have good experience to work with, maybe even a smaller unknown one you came across?

i don't even know if you had work to do in germany, but i'd be super grateful for a few tips or recommendations :kiss:

i'm currently seeking work as an intern/assistant to get some experience.

thanks so much girls, i know your are super busy :kiss:

@visna

i can recommend place models and seeds.
(it's second hand information though.)

Model Management (Hamburg)
Mega (Berlin)
M4
S Models if you're more commercial

Hi girls, is anyone on here an agent? Sorry if that's dumb common knowledge, I know we have loads of models.

I just wanted advice about working at an agency, as an agent. I did a degree in Communications, and I'm 25 now. I just thought it be a good idea for me since I worked with a few agencies over the years (as a model) in different countries, not many, but more than an average person? Some big (Next) and some really small.
What does one need to do, to be considered valuable? Is previous experience as a model helpful (ie, you know the ins and outs of castings, jobs, travel contracts, diet, walking)? I would LOVE to be able to apply for internships and put in my due time, but I'm totally independent living in Sydney so there's no way I could get by without working 40 hours paid per week.
Would love any advice! Thanks :)

Are you still looking?
Viviens is seeking a Full Time Agent for their Melbourne office.