Angelina Jolie

I want to admire Angelina Jolie for adopting all those children and having a (I hate this word) "woke" outlook, but it seems to me, especially given the comment she made about Shiloh, that she is one of those women who fetishizes the suffering a minority or otherwise underprivileged group goes through and uses it to improve her own image. That's not to say she hasn't improved those children's lives; I just feel that perhaps her motives were not entirely unselfish.

This was so well said. It's hard to put my finger on it exactly but I think you're right that this is a weird kind of fetishisation of the unprivileged that a lot of privileged people perform under the guise of being generous and caring (not to say that such people can't have genuinely generous and caring motivations at the same time, just that, as you said, it's not entirely un-selfish, it's still ego-driven).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
to cast the children in the film, Jolie looked at orphanages, circuses, and slum schools, specifically seeking children who had experienced hardship. In order to find their lead, to play young Loung Ung, the casting directors set up a game, rather disturbing in its realism: they put money on the table and asked the child to think of something she needed the money for, and then to snatch it away. The director would pretend to catch the child, and the child would have to come up with a lie. “Srey Moch [the girl ultimately chosen for the part] was the only child that stared at the money for a very, very long time,” Jolie says. “When she was forced to give it back, she became overwhelmed with emotion. All these different things came flooding back.” Jolie then tears up. “When she was asked later what the money was for, she said her grandfather had died, and they didn’t have enough money for a nice funeral.”

That's the sickest thing I've ever heard.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users