agencies and what they do exactly

sore

Super Star
Jan 25, 2012
i'm just wondering ... when a model like, say, karlie kloss, is in milan or paris for fashion week, does she decide in which hotel to stay or does her agency decide? does she book her room and flight by herself or does her agency do it for her? and if a model decides to skip a few cities or the whole season, does she decide to do so on her own? or does she have to check in with her agency before making the decision (i guess so?) and if the agency really wants her to do fashion weeks, does she have some kind of contracts to fulfill or can she just refuse to go? (i'm thinking of established models here, models who won't get dropped by their agencies in any case.)

and what about shoots and money jobs? in case a model wants to do high fashion only, but vs and next keep tapping at her door, can she just say no even though her agency wants her to do the jobs? (i guess most of the hf models would appreciate a little money job now and then though, it's just a random example.) and in case a model gets booked for, say, a vogue paris ed and a big commercial at the same day and there's no way she can do both jobs, who decides which one to take? (again, i'm just making up weird examples to make sure you get my point.)

i know these questions will probably sound weird, but i've been wondering about this for so long. I would be glad if somebody in the know answered my questions, especially because i know that quite a few members here work at agencies. i'm just too shy to tag you though... :run:

i'm just wondering ... when a model like, say, karlie kloss, is in milan or paris for fashion week, does she decide in which hotel to stay or does her agency decide? does she book her room and flight by herself or does her agency do it for her? and if a model decides to skip a few cities or the whole season, does she decide to do so on her own? or does she have to check in with her agency before making the decision (i guess so?) and if the agency really wants her to do fashion weeks, does she have some kind of contracts to fulfill or can she just refuse to go? (i'm thinking of established models here, models who won't get dropped by their agencies in any case.)

and what about shoots and money jobs? in case a model wants to do high fashion only, but vs and next keep tapping at her door, can she just say no even though her agency wants her to do the jobs? (i guess most of the hf models would appreciate a little money job now and then though, it's just a random example.) and in case a model gets booked for, say, a vogue paris ed and a big commercial at the same day and there's no way she can do both jobs, who decides which one to take? (again, i'm just making up weird examples to make sure you get my point.)

i know these questions will probably sound weird, but i've been wondering about this for so long. I would be glad if somebody in the know answered my questions, especially because i know that quite a few members here work at agencies. i'm just too shy to tag you though... :run:

As far as my experience goes, the hotel and transport is booked by the agency and the details get sent to the model, and that goes for each job. Sometimes the models might have hotel preferences but I think it depends on how important they are and what the job is, but they were never booked into shitty places when I was doing it. The bookers are responsible for negotiating jobs, not the models, so they will be the ones sending about books, arranging castings for jobs etc. More often than not, if a model is booked for a job, the agency aren't gonna try and book them in for another gig at the same time. It would be unprofessional for them to do that when they've already booked with another client, but I'm sure it happens due to relationships with bigger clients being a priority. I'm not sure about them skipping cities or seasons. I think the models will voice their feelings if they want to do so, but if they're just starting out its not a wise move, and their agents know best so they will push them in certain directions, but ultimately noone can force them unless I guess they have some brand contract and are still fit to meet the demands of the job. There will be occasions where models are 'exhausted' or have gained, so they can't be booked for things until their agent has seen that they're fit for castings again. While I was at an agency, someone gained weight without informing anyone making the stats on her card incorrect, and she turned up to shoot an editorial that she flew in for and 99% of the samples didn't fit her :nervous: that was really bad.

Trying to reply on my phone and remember from my little experience but I hope that helps. The models and agents on here will be able to clear it up more so tag the VIPs if you haven't already :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
1. Karlie Kloss *might* be an exception. But otherwise, the agency books the flight + arranges a model apartment.. sometimes a hotel.
2. skipping cities can be either an agencys decision, the models decision, or a joint decision.
3. Each city you work in, you tend to have a different agency.
4. it would be stupid if a model didn't take VS or whatever because they want to do HF. you can say no, but it's a bad idea, espically if ur agency says its good for your career.
5. & being booked for 2 jobs the same day.. your agent negoticates with the clients, it would be a bad move if your booker did that. If there is no possible way to change the date, I'd say it's money over anything else (as long as its going to help your career, and is relevant to what type of model you are)

Tagged the ones I could remember/thought might have an insight :highfive:

thank you, @Rose125 and @SugarFree :kiss:

there are so many models who take the commercial route after working in high fashion for a couple of season or years, for example edita. even magdalena, who used to be the epitome of high fashion for me, gets more and more commercial, while others stick to high fashion - maybe the others are the ones who aren't conventionally pretty, like iselin for example.
so if i get you right, these career moves are really the agency's decision only? to sum it up: as soon as bigger commercial clients want to work with a model, the agency will give it a go? even if the models end up doing lingerie or catalogues only, because they somehow lost their 'credibility' / designers lost interest?

also: @SugarFree, you wrote that the agency arranges a model apartement, "sometimes a hotel". how big do you have to get to stay in a hotel? i know there's probably no rule for it, but is it more like say, mdc top 50 or mdc top 10 or mostly icons only?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to be 'big' to have a hotel. Its just when a model apartment is not available near your work or if there is not enough room.

i'm just wondering ... when a model like, say, karlie kloss, is in milan or paris for fashion week, does she decide in which hotel to stay or does her agency decide?

Her agency. If you're a big deal, you get some say in where you stay, etc. but 99% of girls stay wherever their agency puts them. (Usually agency apartments.)

and if a model decides to skip a few cities or the whole season, does she decide to do so on her own? or does she have to check in with her agency before making the decision (i guess so?)

These decisions are almost always made by the agencies, not the models. If they don't go, reasons vary. Sometimes it's because the agency doesn't think it's worth it to send her (work-wise), sometimes it's because she's tired/sick, sometimes it's because she gained weight, sometimes it's to punish her, sometimes it's because she has something else going on where she'll make more $.

and if the agency really wants her to do fashion weeks, does she have some kind of contracts to fulfill or can she just refuse to go? (i'm thinking of established models here, models who won't get dropped by their agencies in any case.)

There are basically no models who won't get dropped by their agencies "in any case". Even major models get dropped if they're too difficult.

and what about shoots and money jobs? in case a model wants to do high fashion only, but vs and next keep tapping at her door, can she just say no even though her agency wants her to do the jobs?

They can, but it would be stupid. In most cases you have to do what your agency tells you, or they can really mess your life/career up.

(i guess most of the hf models would appreciate a little money job now and then though, it's just a random example.) and in case a model gets booked for, say, a vogue paris ed and a big commercial at the same day and there's no way she can do both jobs, who decides which one to take? (again, i'm just making up weird examples to make sure you get my point.)

Good agencies don't double-book talent.

and if a model decides to skip a few cities or the whole season, does she decide to do so on her own? or does she have to check in with her agency before making the decision (i guess so?) and if the agency really wants her to do fashion weeks, does she have some kind of contracts to fulfill or can she just refuse to go? (i'm thinking of established models here, models who won't get dropped by their agencies in any case.)

I’m assuming you quoted this because you’re wondering the same?

A few VIPs gave thorough answers already, but I might as well reiterate:

It goes either way. If a model isn’t present for a certain fashion week, it could be because her agency doesn’t want her to be, she doesn’t want to be (they can’t exactly force you on a plane, and I’ve never met someone whose contract explicitly states they must be present for fashion week. Many contracts do, however, have a time limit, such as stating the model must be present for 90 consecutive days or the agency can withhold payment, etc, but that usually applies to the model’s first visit to that particular market), or a joint decision. Models do get dropped for being uncooperative, but it’s on a very case-by-case basis, depending on the model’s reputation, monetary value, and relationship with her bookers/ agency director, etc.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Another reason a model might skip a fashion week in one city but walk in others is visas ... three rules and regulations vary from country to country and also depend on what country you're from.

An example of this is the last VSFS held in China... there were a couple of girls cast who couldn't walk due to Visa complications (they were all Russian and/or Ukrainian if I remember correctly)

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users