Abercrombie wants thin customers

I have never,and probably never will buy Abercrombie. Nothing against the people who do, but it's not my kind of thing. I have no problem with the skinny stance - plenty of companies think the same but don't say it out loud. I however do have a problem with HOW they state it, and particularly their comment about the 'cool kids'. I don't like the look of fat people more than any other SG girl, but the guy's comments were disrespectful. Also, I was never a cool kid. I never wanted to be a cool kid. Doesn't mean I'm some pathetic loser, and it certainly doesn't mean that wearing Abercrombie makes you cool. I'm from Europe, and a lot of the people that wear Hollister and Abercrombie here are quite frankly insolent, arrogant snobfaces that wear the lable like some kind of priviledge. THAT is what I do not agree with. Clothes do not define a person, and some people can not afford it. To scream it around like it's something to be proud of is perverted.

But hey, just my two cents. Skinny stores all the way, just don't be offensive about it. Then, we're just as bad as all of these 'real women have curves' people.

I get what you're saying and I partially agree with it, but I quite like Abercrombie for saying out loud what every other firm silently thinks; that's why brands send clothes to celebrities, because these people are popular and "cool" and they influence others to buy their clothes. It's just a part of their marketing to promote the idea that only cool kids wear Abercrombie and everyone who doesn't wear Abercrombie is a "looser". I'm pretty sure that Jeffries' comment was also a part of marketing, it's highly unlikely it just slip. And in a perfect ideal world, where you could see people's personality on the first glance , clothes wouldn't "define a person", but let's be honest, that in this world, they do. You make a conscious choice about what to wear, and people judge you accordingly to the image you present- it's not fair, but we do judge people on their appearance, and of course as you know someone well, those things stop to matter so much and you start to value them for their personality, but at that first moment, the clothes, hairstyle, earrings and tattoos are what you judge a person by. And I agree that it's sad that some people can't afford clothing, but then, by that logic, if what Abercrombie does is bad because poor people who can't afford to buy it may be hurt, then no brand should advertise their clothes.
I don't care much about what Abercrombie's CEO said, I don't wear Abercrombie, I couldn't care less about not being labeled cool by some company's marketing team, it's all a part of brand image, it's working for them, and to be honest I think that this whole scandal is absolutely hilarious. There are so many truly shocking things going on in the world to care about, that Abercrombie's comment only fits into entertaining category imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Abercrombie is horrible with sizing too in my opinion. People always say crap like "only twigs can fit there" but I just ordered some tank tops (hey they were on sale and good colors haha) and a small is FALLING off me. I'm not even skinny yet :wtf:

Abercrombie is horrible with sizing too in my opinion. People always say crap like "only twigs can fit there" but I just ordered some tank tops (hey they were on sale and good colors haha) and a small is FALLING off me. I'm not even skinny yet :wtf:

I can't even fit into their double zeros - they are too big, and they are also too short. It bugs me so much when people say that - seriously you should be able to fit into a size 12 there if you aren't overweight :rolleyes:

Found this little response and figured you all would get a kick out of how ridiculus it is:

http://www.thewandereronline.com/20...s-but-where-to-shop-aint-one-by-louis-nguyen/

:nopity:

I was reading some of the comments underneath the article and people are calling the author out! The top one (when I read it) even said that obese people are a burden to society :grin: and called the 'genetics,' 'big-boned,' 'no time' excuses for what they are: pure :bs: I love it when people do stuff like this, it gives me some faith in humanity :)

Personally I've never shopped at Abercrombie and Fitch, but I really think all he did was say what everyone else was thinking and what any honest person knows ... Clothes look better on skinny people.

"Abercrombie wants thin customers."

It's a good thing they haven't asked for a decent looking CEO. :nervous:

abercrombie-and-fitch-ceo-mike-jeffries.gif

Seriously though, I don't like his store's policy and would never buy a thing from there. I love going shopping with my friends(some average, some chubby) and I want them to be able to wear whatever the hell they like, just as I do. All I want is that the small sizes go down as much as the big ones go up. If you carry an XXL, there should be an XXS too. No racism, people. :cool:

I laughed so hard because it was a slap at whiny fat people's faces. :lol: Some brand doesn't want to cater to you, boohoo.

But at the same time, I can't help but feel that Mike Jeffries behaved like an idiot by saying this. I understand if he wants a specific aesthetic to his brand, hence why the biggest size in Abercrombie is an L (still huge, but not for the average). But it's just too immature and he is thinking too highly of this brand. My gosh, it's Abercrombie. It's not made of luxurious materials, the design process isn't as remarkable as high fashion brands, it is not handmade or has anything special. It's just a fucking polo shirt with a logo (that is also very embarrassing to wear tbh). Regular people buy Abercrombie. Not jet setters, not the fabulously rich, not runway models. Regular people. Size L people. And his statements have obviously angered a lot of consumers, so that's why I think it was a really bad move of him to say that. No wonder their sales are taking a plunge. :facepalm:

I mean, this guy is rich because of the regular people that buy his products. He should thank them for buying the dumb moose logo instead of judging them for being ugly/fat. He has a net worth of $150 M thanks to them, I think it was just so dumb of him to say that.

And if I was him I wouldn't judge them for being unattractive, I would judge them for actually wearing Abercrombie. :sneaky:

I laughed so hard because it was a slap at whiny fat people's faces. :lol: Some brand doesn't want to cater to you, boohoo.

But at the same time, I can't help but feel that Mike Jeffries behaved like an idiot by saying this. I understand if he wants a specific aesthetic to his brand, hence why the biggest size in Abercrombie is an L (still huge, but not for the average). But it's just too immature and he is thinking too highly of this brand. My gosh, it's Abercrombie. It's not made of luxurious materials, the design process isn't as remarkable as high fashion brands, it is not handmade or has anything special. It's just a fucking polo shirt with a logo (that is also very embarrassing to wear tbh). Regular people buy Abercrombie. Not jet setters, not the fabulously rich, not runway models. Regular people. Size L people. And his statements have obviously angered a lot of consumers, so that's why I think it was a really bad move of him to say that. No wonder their sales are taking a plunge. :facepalm:

I mean, this guy is rich because of the regular people that buy his products. He should thank them for buying the dumb moose logo instead of judging them for being ugly/fat. He has a net worth of $150 M thanks to them, I think it was just so dumb of him to say that.

And if I was him I wouldn't judge them for being unattractive, I would judge them for actually wearing Abercrombie. :sneaky:

I don't know, I think that him saying that was definitely risky, but I don't know how much business it will really cost him. Runway models and celebrities don't wear these products - middle / high schoolers do , especially girls. And his over representation of his brand might actually appeal to middle schoolers. From my experience, it is important to these girls to wear the clothes from the "good stores" which in my area were Abercrombie, American Eagle, etc. Unless you live in a really rich area or high fashion city, generally this seems to be the case. These are the best of what you can get/afford, so it is true that a lot of times the popular people will be wearing these clothes, and it becomes a brand associated with that. Making it seem exclusive will make girls this age want to buy it more and girls that want to be more popular buy them more. Middle school logic haha.

I never wear Abercrombie and Fitch and I don't know many people who do. Although I think this was a very poor way of the CEO announcing that he was no longer going to be selling larger sizes, I don't really care. I mean, the man is unnecessarily limiting his own sales by excluding fat consumers. He's shooting himself in the foot! If he really wants to cut out a chunk of profit for the sake of "popular" kids wearing his clothes, more power to him.

I never wear Abercrombie and Fitch and I don't know many people who do. Although I think this was a very poor way of the CEO announcing that he was no longer going to be selling larger sizes, I don't really care. I mean, the man is unnecessarily limiting his own sales by excluding fat consumers. He's shooting himself in the foot! If he really wants to cut out a chunk of profit for the sake of "popular" kids wearing his clothes, more power to him.

What a moron :facepalm: honestly, unless you are couture/HF, who the fuck cares if fat people are wearing your clothes?? You are a store in a shopping mall for christ's sake! For all teens to shop in. (See: American fatties) I would say a good 50% of sales would be larger sizes. He's losing so much. Idiot.