86th Academy Awards

bisou

Super Star
May 27, 2012
East Coast
Who do you think will win? Here are some of the nominees (feel free to add more):

Best Picture
"12 Years a Slave"
"The Wolf of Wall Street"
"Captain Phillips"
"Her"
"American Hustle"
"Gravity"
"Dallas Buyers Club"
"Nebraska"
"Philomena"

Best Director
Steve McQueen -- "12 Years a Slave"
David O. Russell -- "American Hustle"
Alfonso Cuaron -- "Gravity"
Alexander Payne -- "Nebraska"
Martin Scorsese -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Best Actor
Bruce Dern -- "Nebraska"
Chiwetel Ejiofor -- "12 Years a Slave"
Matthew McConaughey -- "Dallas Buyers Club"
Leonardo DiCaprio -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Christian Bale -- "American Hustle"

Best Actress
Amy Adams -- "American Hustle"
Cate Blanchett -- "Blue Jasmine"
Judi Dench -- "Philomena"
Sandra Bullock -- "Gravity"
Meryl Streep -- "August: Osage County"

Best Supporting Actor
Barkhad Abdi -- "Captain Phillips"
Bradley Cooper -- "American Hustle"
Jonah Hill -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Jared Leto -- "Dallas Buyers Club"
Michael Fassbender -- "12 Years a Slave"

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Lawrence -- "American Hustle"
Lupita Nyong'o -- "12 Years a Slave"
June Squibb -- "Nebraska"
Julia Roberts -- "August: Osage County"
Sally Hawkins -- "Blue Jasmine"

Best Original Screenplay
"American Hustle" -- David O. Russell and Eric Warren Singer
"Blue Jasmine" -- Woody Allen
"Her" -- Spike Jonze
"Nebraska" -- Bob Nelson
"Dallas Buyers Club" -- Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack

I have only seen 12 years a slave, gravity,american hustle and the wolf of wall street, but I really, really hope that '12 years a slave' wins. It is such a beautiful, heartbreaking movie to watch, but also very violent. It was so violent at times I actually cried about it, and I couldn't finish the movie because of that.

American hustle was good, but nothing much more than that, I don't understand why everybody is so amazed by it.

I think DiCaprio really did an outstanding performance in the wolf of wall street, and it is ABOUT TIME he gets that much-deserved Oscar! That guy has been around for more than 15 years, is a brilliant actor, and I am flabbergasted that he hasn't won an oscar yet.

As much as I loved Jennifer Lawrence in movies such as 'Winter's Bone' Silver Lining's playbook or even the poker house (back in 2008), I do NOT think that she deserves an Oscar for that minor role she played in American Hustle. I really hope Lupita wins it. But then again, I think that we see a wee bit too much of JLaw these days, and her winning yet ANOTHER oscar is not going to be such good publicity as one might think.

Of course it is hard to compare roles in a dramatic movie such as '12 years a slave' and a (kinda?) comedy movie (in any case, a lot more light-hearted) such as American Hustle, but I still think Lupita deserves that award!

I think DiCaprio really did an outstanding performance in the wolf of wall street, and it is ABOUT TIME he gets that much-deserved Oscar! That guy has been around for more than 15 years, is a brilliant actor, and I am flabbergasted that he hasn't won an oscar yet.

He deserves a Lifetime Achievement Award tbh

I'm still gutted that Rush didn't get nominated for anything, I thought it would be a contender for best picture, it was my favourite of 2013.

I'm a huge fan of Michael Fassbender, so i'm highly rooting for him to win. However, it does seem that Jared Leto has the highest chances in the best supporting actor category (I like him also but not as much as Fassy, sry) :)

I watched Dallas Buyers Club the other day, and now I'm actually hoping that Matthew McConaughey wins. He was incredible!

Oh god...this year all of the losers (for only the acting and director categories) will receive a "consolation gift bag" worth $80,000. I'll list the most hilarious gifts at the bottom of this post along with the link to the complete list.

First thought: these are only categories where all of the nominees are incredibly rich (and constantly lavished with gifts) and therefore won't really appreciate $80k worth of stuff (maybe sans Lupita and Bakhard ATM although I'm sure both will become very rich soon). What about the writers, short film creators, score, sound editors, etc? I'm sure some of them make really modest salaries and would appreciate this goody bag.

Second thought: it IS still possible to give gifts to incredibly wealthy people that they might somewhat appreciate. I've heard many times of Hollywood people giving each other gifts like a one of a kind Rolex engraved with "86th Academy Award Nominee" or something like that.

Sadly, this list has nothing close to that. My favorites:
-Hydroxycut protein shakes, bars and gummies (not only insulting, but it's by far the cheapest and most gimmicky weight loss brand!)
- Acure Organics skincare (all products worth $15 or less)
-Cannonball wine (it's a California winery and worth $15)
-Mace pepper spray (HAHAHA!)
-Mane'n Tail haircare products (omg)

Complete list here:
http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redeye-oscar-loser-gift-bag-whats-in-it-20140219,0,1968421.story

So glad that Lupita won, but when I saw Leo's face when he realized he lost..... my heart shattered into a million pieces. :cry: Next year Leo, next year....

I'm sure everyone knows of the results now by one way or another (If not, sorry:run:) but yeah I still agree with everyone! Lupita, although not even having seen 12 Years a Slave, I was so happy she won (her acceptance speech!:luv:) and Jared Leto too:grin: His speech was also great. I still kinda wish DiCaprio won best actor though! I haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club though, so against Wolf of Wall street I guess it was brilliant too - I do think Leo should get some sort of major award before he falls dead acting in so many films:wtf: Loved him more in his other films than Wolf of Wall St. but that's probably because I liked the actual films better:sneaky:
Hilarious when Ellen rubbed the falling in JLaw's face:lol: and some of the people (JLaw...) who took the pizza ordered vs others...:whistling:

I do think Leo should get some sort of major award before he falls dead acting in so many films

So late to this thread. But it was obvious DiCaprio wasn't going to win this year :( (i mean matthew really transformed himself, weight, etc, and so did leto). The academy has not only snubbed him but many other great actors as well. So its not unusual. His next work needs to be some epic film where he thoroughly transforms himself.