Some people tried at the 2019 Met Gala

Elliebubble

Worker Bee
Feb 8, 2017
London
Every Met Gala, I try in vain to see bodies I would aspire to, and there are rarely any. This year it was equally difficult because the theme, Camp, was misinterpreted by many people to mean "lots of layers of garbled, ugly mess" so you can't see a lot of bodies in there. (For what it's worth, if you haven't read Susan Sontag's essay, Notes on Camp, it is a must for cultural critique, and along with Joan Didion should be a staple in any classy/well-read girl's bookshelf. But I digress!).

So I thought I'd make a list of people whose bodies were at least not-fat. Please excuse many of their outfits. I am by no means judging on outfits here.

First of all, Celine Dion, whose pic I posted in her thread since it was already updated today. She IS camp, she lives it, and her body is fabulous as ever.

Anna Wintour's daughter, Bee Shaffer Carrozzini, is slimmer than she used to be, and looks very elegant:

bee shaffer.jpg

Carey Mulligan is looking good at the moment:

carey-mulligan-attends-2019-met-gala-04.jpg

Cara's hips look terrible as always, but she is otherwise fine (and body-wise looked way better than Karlie, Joan, etc, on this occasion):

cara.jpg

The Olsens, as always, even though I don't quite know what's going on with them:

olsens.jpg

Sienna Miller, although her face doesn't look like her face? But her body looks good:

Sienna miller.jpg

Zendaya can usually be relied upon to have her body together:

zendaya-met-gala-fashion-2019-ftr.jpg

I so respect how tight Demi Moore keeps herself:

demi-moore-met-gala-2019-01.jpg

What I can see of Kerry Washington looks good:

kerry-washington-met-gala-2019-embed.jpg

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is another of the models who wasn't a disgrace:

rosie-huntington-whiteley-attends-2019-met-gala-05.jpg

And Alexa has the camp thing down. Although I wouldn't recommend a brocade/decorated mini-dress on someone with a boxy body, because it's never quite tailored enough and it always adds bulk where you don't want it (around the waist):

alexa.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Also, I know Elle Fanning has been a disappointment to us before, but her body, face, and adherence to the theme are coming together well here:

elle.jpg

Can't see her body but Florence seems like a camp bitch from way back:

florence.jpg

And finally, I keep meaning to do a takedown or waste of face post about this disappointment, but to me, Lucy Boynton is one of the ultimate wastes of face. She wears a lot of ruffles covering her upper arms, but... we can still see them, Lucy:

lucy.jpg

Just tone up! You're young, it's not hard!!

To be honest, for the majority of these people, I can't really make out their bodies at all to say they have "tried"...I do agree that Cara is looking better than she has in the past though.

gettyimages-1147423566.jpg

Alexa's legs looked great. The outfit was pretty decent too considering what everybody else was wearing. (I'm not even going to mention Zendaya's complete rip off of Claire Danes' met gala gown from a few years back).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Well that was largely disappointing. Between Harry Styles dressing like he was on a night off on tour, and Rihanna just... not showing up, the outfits were generally unremarkable and a weak link between voluminous tulle and actual camp. That being said, some looked good.

9A77E7C2-56B0-4D93-8154-2E6A5C80052E.jpeg

Loved Stella, unsurprisingly. Can’t decide which I prefer: the fake polar bear coat or the hipbone slicing through the dress.

Side note: Moschino as a whole really pulled off the theme. If you squint your eyes and pretend Katy Perry is miraculously 50lbs lighter, you could bet I’d post that disgustingly good candelabra ensemble on here too. Am I almost complimenting Katy Perry? Yikes— I am desperate.

35E6DF1D-EA9F-49EE-A5CE-5E7EBFC09C43.jpeg

Before the questions of [Why is she even here?] arises, I’ll at least commend the fact that she’s staying true to self whilst remaining close to the theme. You’re not Cher, but you do have better abs than the majority of people here and if one person had to wear the dress, at least it’s you and not Ashley Graham. Also, I’m glad she highlighted her arms/shoulders and not her tree stump legs. What can I say? You can take the insta model out of the slutty bikini pics, but you can’t take the slutty bikini pics out of the insta model.

A8A8CCA1-0506-47FE-96FD-1D96862CB972.jpeg

If she wasn’t such a shit model with a shit personality, I’d actually be a lot more praising of her body, beauty and outfit in general. After all, anyone inspired by Studio 54 wins in my eyes.

6FD5B38E-BEFC-49A0-A8DF-3215EF770860.jpeg

Fucking incredible. Enough said.

D4FFB582-EF6D-488C-B96A-89FFC3EE82B2.jpeg
E8E08F79-4979-40DA-8A17-77BE6457044F.jpeg

LEGS. She’s lowkey starting to age a little after all these years but fair enough— she is in her mid thirties and a hardcore cigarette (and likely other substances) devotee. I’ll always love her.

225572F1-C32C-4E23-AF02-A57E19FA3531.jpeg

Not skinny but I love this too lol

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 13 users
5FFB1B4F-5B38-48C4-BFA8-84480A85F603.jpeg
I know I’m going to get rinsed for this and I’m truly shocked that I’m typing this out, but Kendall Jenner’s outfit looked amazing (if you hide the face)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users
I think Kate Moss and Lily Collins both deserve to be in this thread if we're talking outfits. Kate's aged beautifully and looks so elegant & I love Lily's homage to Priscilla Presley (also reminds me of how Lana Del Rey used to look back when she wasn't overweight and botched).
rita-ora-kate-moss-met-gala-2019-10.jpg

met-gala-2019-kate-moss.jpg

00-story-lily (1).jpg

D57EQMiXsAAFYED.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Well that was largely disappointing. Between Harry Styles dressing like he was on a night off on tour, and Rihanna just... not showing up, the outfits were generally unremarkable and a weak link between voluminous tulle and actual camp. That being said, some looked good.

View attachment 55334

Loved Stella, unsurprisingly. Can’t decide which I prefer: the fake polar bear coat or the hipbone slicing through the dress.

Side note: Moschino as a whole really pulled off the theme. If you squint your eyes and pretend Katy Perry is miraculously 50lbs lighter, you could bet I’d post that disgustingly good candelabra ensemble on here too. Am I almost complimenting Katy Perry? Yikes— I am desperate.

View attachment 55331

Before the questions of [Why is she even here?] arises, I’ll at least commend the fact that she’s staying true to self whilst remaining close to the theme. You’re not Cher, but you do have better abs than the majority of people here and if one person had to wear the dress, at least it’s you and not Ashley Graham. Also, I’m glad she highlighted her arms/shoulders and not her tree stump legs. What can I say? You can take the insta model out of the slutty bikini pics, but you can’t take the slutty bikini pics out of the insta model.

View attachment 55332

If she wasn’t such a shit model with a shit personality, I’d actually be a lot more praising of her body, beauty and outfit in general. After all, anyone inspired by Studio 54 wins in my eyes.

View attachment 55335

View attachment 55338 View attachment 55339

LEGS. She’s lowkey starting to age a little after all these years but fair enough— she is in her mid thirties and a hardcore cigarette (and likely other substances) devotee. I’ll always love her.

View attachment 55336

View attachment 55334

View attachment 55331

View attachment 55332

View attachment 55335

View attachment 55338 View attachment 55339

View attachment 55336

LOL.

I’d much rather read these captions on Vogue’s insta pics tbh

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
jourdan dunn
jourdan2.jpg
jourdan1.jpg

jourdan.jpg

gemma chan
gemma2.jpg
gemma.jpg

gisele
gisele.jpg

caroline trentini
caro0.jpg

josephine skriver - i love the dress, but i wish her arms were a little less meaty.
josephine2.jpg
josephine3.jpeg

josephine.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

View attachment 55331

Oh thanks for this, Emily Ratajkowski is so bland to me that I always forget what her actual name is, but yes her stomach was to die for. Her pancaked boobs look SO uncomfortable though, it viscerally hurts to look at.

And Stella looks decent - the angle I saw of her earlier didn't look that impressive, but that was sans hipbone. These pics are better.

I love Lily's homage to Priscilla Presley (also reminds me of how Lana Del Rey used to look back when she wasn't overweight and botched).
View attachment 55343

I loved Lilly's overall look too! It was such a shame she couldn't somehow have her best bit (her upper body) out while covering her worst (her legs), but I got that that was the whole concept of the outfit. But it was a shame for me, especially considering her upper body is looking so good at the moment:

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 2.14.19 PM.png

If I had her upper body I'd never cover it with voluminous stuff!

Missed these queens the first time, thank you!