HauteLeMode

abominable_princess

Rising Star
Aug 10, 2012
This youtuber keeps popping up in my recommended videos whenever I watch anything fashion-related and I was wondering if anyone here watches his videos / would recommend them? I don't know enough about the fashion industry to estimate how much of what he says is true/realistic and what is... well, exaggerated drama BS.

Description: Social media star who is famous for his HauteLeMode YouTube channel. He has gained massive popularity for his fashion industry discussions, reactions, and roasts.

From what I've watched he generally makes videos on fashion shows & fashion worn at award shows etc, with the occasional "deeper research" into a specific topic.

Example video:

In this one he talks about Schiaparelli, Iris Van Herpen, and Dior.

The video that I found him through:

Where he talks about ways to stop buying fast fashion. (Which is a follow-up to his video about fast fashion.)

Let me know what you think!

Reactions: 1 user
I was interested when I first watched his videos but then it got so repetitive. We get it, you hate everything.

But I do agree with him calling out super basic Coachella outfits and celebrities still not following the Met Gala theme.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 8 users
I used to watch this videos and genuinely learn a lot but after seeing his god complex unfold on twitter I’m so
over it. We get it: you hate everything, you’re a meme god and the fashion industry kisses the ground you walk on. Get over yourself.

Awfully bold for someone who argues with teenagers online to be professing all the front rows he gets invited to, especially given that no one has ever actually seen him at said big name fashion event.

• Funny
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users
While I agree he can get easily repetitive (like most famous youtubers tbh) his Dior roast was so funny:

(starts at: 8:15)

• Agree
I watched a few videos some months ago upon finding him but as been said, it got repetitive and annoying to me fast. I'd still suggest giving him a follow on IG (while muting his story), since he does post some good memes. That way one doesn't need to hear his articulation or lack of thereof lol ''and I was just like OMG amazing just so stunninggg like like like iconic''

As a blanket statement, I appreciate the addition of a critical voice to the sycophantic gospel that dominates contemporary fashion, but I agree with @NewYorkSkinny that he is way repetitive. I think it's because, truly, his content is not really reviews so much as reaction videos, and (I've only inattentively seen the couture audits) he seems to have little appreciation of aesthetic value besides garment fit. I still enjoy his roasts of Maria's Dior which absolutely is the catastrophe he claims, although he appears unable to flesh out his judgements beyond mere opinion; I also don't think it's true that he 'hates' on everything, even if he didn't literally worship Iris van Herpen and a selection of (primarily) Asian designers (which he does), it is the critic's job to approach collections with something a bit more judicial than unilateral flattery. But his voice is also very political, and if some outfit is good because it advances a political agenda that is actual propaganda and not something I want in my feed.

Last edited:
  • Agree
But I do agree with him calling out super basic Coachella outfits and celebrities still not following the Met Gala theme.
Very true, the negativity might not always be my cup of tea but it's nice to hear him call out people who could and should do better.

Awfully bold for someone who argues with teenagers online to be professing all the front rows he gets invited to, especially given that no one has ever actually seen him at said big name fashion event.
Which is why I decided to start this thread in 'Online' rather than 'Fashion Industry' :lol:

I'd still suggest giving him a follow on IG (while muting his story), since he does post some good memes.
I didn't follow him yet, but the memes can be pretty good yeah! Thanks for linking :)

it is the critic's job to approach collections with something a bit more judicial than unilateral flattery. But his voice is also very political, and if some outfit is good because it advances a political agenda that is actual propaganda and not something I want in my feed.
Very true, it's important to hear critical opinions on the fashion industry, but he does give me the general vibe of being maybe a little bit too negative. Like I said, I'm nowhere near an expert on the fashion industry but if I were to only view his videos I'd think that all major brands are on some sort of downward spiral towards hell. :lol:

I didn't hear much political propaganda in his videos, or am I not paying attention? Other than the occasional cultural appropriation/skinny models comment?

I wonder if Luke is reading this thread? He 100% seems like the person to put his own name on Google alert, and the latest couture video reads a bit less sassy than before and he also appears to attempt a more informed approach, which just made it even more obvious that he doesn't really know his shit. It's bizarre to me how he revels in a Valentino collection which is precisely the same one Pierpaolo has put on for the past, what?, three seasons and how he appears to know the meaning neither of 'vanguardism' or 'modernism'; also his pronunciation of both 'couture' and 'Balmain' =
28-nails-chalkboard.w700.h700.jpg

I were to only view his videos I'd think that all major brands are on some sort of downward spiral towards hell
Some would say they are. Contemporary fashion has little design and too much bullshit, and I want to say that it baffles me why nobody raises the question whether adopting an equitarean agenda might be strategically anathema to the necessarily elitist, top-down structure of fashion but then it also really doesn't.

The propaganda is manifest in, yes, what he says about cultural appropriation, but also how he attributes aesthetic value to outfits which promote a certain tenet of liberalism, e.g. Lena Waithe at the Met, whose really, really bad outfit he withheld from criticism because 'GAY!!!' (in his own words).

• Funny
  • Agree
Tbh I’d also probably have google alerts on for my name if I was a youtuber. So hi luke if you’re reading this!

He did seem a lot more moderate in his latest video, I enjoyed the more informative approach but wouldn’t mind a combination of critical and informative. So less sassy but still critical.

Ah, I see what you mean with the propaganda. I don’t necessarily always pay attention to comments like that (I tend to fast forward if he’s analysing a combination of a bad look + person I don’t particularly care about) but that’s definitely not the idea of a fashion critic. If we all were to say oh wel xyz is doing abc badly but it doesn’t matter because *insert minority* no one would ever be criticized ever again lol.