Taylor Swift

You think she'd show her authentic self? I doubt it, personally, but I admire your desire to understand her in full rather than accepting a single dimensional persona as all there is. I can't see her or whomever is in charge of her image putting any ugliness and insecurity of hers out in the open unless it's been tempered and dolled up into something "relateable" and consumable.

I feel most things about her are calculated moves and occasional mishaps where the facade falls and we see her pulling strings, like with the Kim K/Kanye "Famous" fiasco. She appears to have staged relationships (although this is not too uncommon). She played the country angel. She played the victim. Now she's trying to play the empowered bad girl.
She is so damn calculated in everything she does. As if it would be a true story at all.

That’s true. I guess I got a little to gullible and fell for the direction they were going.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
That’s true. I guess I got a little to gullible and fell for the direction they were going.
It's easy to do that. I can definitely be 'gullible' and fall for people's calculated facades. Critical thinking is very important when interpreting celebrities (and everything in this day and age). SG encourages it, which I love :)

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
So I bought my niece, her friend, and myself tickets for one of her shows in June. Today I listened to her new album in preparation because I haven't heard much of her new stuff and WOW -- I have no desire to hear any of this live and am now dreading this whole thing. Admittedly, I took my niece to a show on her 1989 tour and actually enjoyed myself because she put on one hell of a show and Fifth Harmony was there but this new stuff she's got coming out is not worth it (not to mention she's a total chub now.. but that I've know for a while). And I don't feel like her new music is sending a very good message to young girls? Idk maybe that's just me being too overly critical. But re-victimizing yourself, over and over, seems dangerously unhealthy, and that's what she does on this whole album.

Ugh, this is what I get for trying to be the cool aunt :headbang:

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I can’t believe she posted this on Instagram. Not her most flattering pic and the angles are horrible.

Attachments

• 67C68B3C-6177-42CA-A283-F8EDB8A65F8B.jpeg
    67C68B3C-6177-42CA-A283-F8EDB8A65F8B.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Gross
Reactions: 1 user
She is so damn calculated in everything she does. As if it would be a true story at all.

I actually think T.Swift has no actual personality. She's sort of just a packaged star that responds to what will give her the most bang for her buck in how she presents herself and her "music".
It's like how candidates prepare for elections (in order to appeal to this market you must do xyz, etc) I feel like this is what she does. She has a target consumer that will pay for her concerts and music and appeal to them endlessly. The data must have shown your target consumer is now dealing with the freshman 15 (or puberty?) you should gain too in order to be relevant and relate-able in this market...make them feel good about themselves like Taylor feels body positive, etc. or gain sympathy,etc.

There are celebs / singers that I think are pretty crazy but at least they own up to being who they are and that is their personal brand which they actually hold loyal to and which is probably extremely tough in the entertainment industry.

However, I have to say for someone who is 'natural skinny'* such extreme weight swings would be relatively rare. Therefore I don't expect Taylor to go back to her previous tour weight anytime soon.
*copyright Snejana O. 2000s

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
This is not at all reliable info, but I'm in a facebook group that's essentially "blind" items from people who know people, and one person said that she was in cocaine for rehab.

Again, probably not true, but it was a possibility I hadn't considered.

Oh, that facebook group sounds like perfect procrastination material. Can everybody join? Would you have a link for me? :flower:

She was one of my first thinspos (I was a fan as a kid) so her gain to me is all the more horrifying.. :run:
IMG_1647-1.jpeg

• Gross
  • Sad
  • WTF
Reactions: 8 users
I completely agree with what's been said here about her repetitive and annoying victim-blaming/everyone-blaming tendencies.
She already irritated me a few years ago what with EVERY song being a "fuck you" anthem about an ex-bf (plus one "fuck you" anthem about an ex-bff).
Now, not only is it getting more embarrassing the older she gets, she's also piling on all this BS marketing about how radically different she's going to be.
And don't even get me started about the "rapping" :eyeroll:

The feminism thing is what pisses me off the most. It's a marketing buzzword. She wants that good, hard, feminist cash, so she calls herself one.
Meanwhile the actual content of her work is full of so many red flags I find it baffling that none of her exes have publically called her out as a legit CRAZY PERSON.
A guy friend of mine just recently broke up with a girl who would do the same shit. When it benefited her to be a feminist, she was ranting and raving about women's rights.
But when the patriarchy made her life easier? It was another story.
Suddenly she had no problem hurling accusations like, "you're not a real man!" (to my friend, because he didn't do the dishes because he works 60 hours a week while she sits on her ass Monday through Thursday). The hypocrisy is astounding. And she would play the exact same cards that Taylor plays in her songs. "OMG I was so upset by you not answering your phone that I got really drunk and put myself in a dangerous situation! Look what you made me do!!!!" Needless to say, I'm VERY happy that he got away from that tyrannical little bitch. :mad:

Unfortunately, Taylor has a legion of fans and managers hailing her every move as brilliant and inspired.
I can't imagine she's going to grow up at this point, but a girl can dream. So, here's my message for Taytay:

Taylor, I invite you to become a true feminist, to write songs that support and empower women and speak your truth against the powers that be.
Until then, know that your abusive behavior towards men and antagonism towards women will never be feminist (no matter how much weight you gain).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I don't think her weight gain is a marketing strategy for the album or intentional at all. She does have this sort of Regina George aura to the public/music world, like she always wants to look like her best...the most popular singer, the skinniest, the blonder ect. Idk if this makes sense but her gaining SO much during her big comeback makes no sense, especially if we consider that she didn't change her image that much. Yeah she's more low key but I don't think reputation was that different compared to 1989. I personally think she's struggling with this gain, she doesn't dress or act like someone who's comfortable w their body either. She wear way too many baggy clothes.

• Agree
Reactions: 11 users
I don't think her weight gain is a marketing strategy for the album or intentional at all. She does have this sort of Regina George aura to the public/music world, like she always wants to look like her best...the most popular singer, the skinniest, the blonder ect. Idk if this makes sense but her gaining SO much during her big comeback makes no sense, especially if we consider that she didn't change her image that much. Yeah she's more low key but I don't think reputation was that different compared to 1989. I personally think she's struggling with this gain, she doesn't dress or act like someone who's comfortable w their body either. She wear way too many baggy clothes.
So true and considering the rather short time frame she gained it all, I don’t think it is a healthy restoration of weight. And she’s just gradually gaining not finding any set point for quite some time. Looks the result of a lot of bad food choices and lack of exercise (someone should tell her candid photos in yoga leggings don’t count)... She’s been in the industry years before she got to this point so I doubt it would be because of a stressful tour life or something. I’ve known quite a few girls in my high school who have gone to rehab (for their own different reasons) yet all of them come back much heavier. And I don’t know how Taylor could’ve went to rehab without being noticed by public eye but her drastic weight gain reminds me of those girls post rehab.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
If she actually went to rehab, good on her but it shows she's an extra extra shitty/inauthentic person and a huge hypocrite.

I just find it so hard to feel bad for her, when it seems she's genuinely unlikeable... and the past year+ has been bad karma catching up to her. :slinkout:

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users