Alice Glass

Sorry, I was in a hurry and nearly late at work. Wanted to mention I experienced this myself with people who behaved abusive but “didn't mean it“ or “don't remember“ or “think it wasn't that bad“ and so on. Could give examples but it's too close to home, sorry.

I’m sorry for your personal experience. Her statement is entirely sad, and I wholeheartedly agree that the details she provided are too descriptive and seem completely feasible, especially considering the music industry.

Ethan’s statement seems like an easy response, blaming it on her poor mental health (likely brought on by his abuse).

Alice sounds like a classic victim of both physical and emotional abuse, where it became so normalized and his influence over her so powerful that she had no way out. I love Crystal Castles, but man, their music has even darker undertones for me now...

I’m so happy more and more women are speaking out. It’s a difficult time for politics, entertainment, and virtually any industry, but these are the conversations that me and my girlfriends have been having in private for years. Reminds me of the time when a male friend explained very bluntly that ‘men just don’t care about sexual assault’. He didn’t realize that he was in the presence of a physical abuse victim, an emotional abuse victim, and myself, as I’ve experienced rape. It’s sad that these powerful men have to experience blows to their career to finally get the message across.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
I can't tell if you're attempting to state that Alice Glass's allegations are lies...based on the following conversation with her former manager I would say that there is definitely substance to the allegations:
No, not saying that at all. I'm saying that there's more to the story than what has been publicly (and selectively) shared by both parties, especially if there are pending lawsuits. I don't know much about either one of them so that's the extent of what I'll comment. Just playing devil's advocate here since it's a public forum and I'm not one to jump on a side when allegations are made... especially if things are about to get messy.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with what others have said that Alice's statement is pretty aligned with classic tales of abuse-- when you're in the midst of it, the behaviors are normalized, and the abuser's ultimatums seem completely legitimate.

And it's upsetting because Alice Glass, from the audience's perspective, WAS Crystal Castles. She gave the band its personality. Who gives a shit about Ethan/Claudio brooding over his keyboard?

But that's just my opinion. I might be biased because like others, I recognize my own experiences in what she described and personally, I'm rooting for her in whatever she chooses to do next.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
And it's upsetting because Alice Glass, from the audience's perspective, WAS Crystal Castles. She gave the band its personality. Who gives a shit about Ethan/Claudio brooding over his keyboard?
That's what I also think. Ethan - or okay, let's call him Claudio since he prefers Ethan :p - thinks/stated the opposite. I won't stop listening to Crystal Castles in general like on Spotify. But I will stop to support them financially and won't go to lives anymore. Hope Edith is alright and will leave soon. Though it's not said that an abuser jumps from one victim to the other when the former escapes. Edith is a grown woman whereas Alice was a child and "trained" to accept his behavior as normal.
Also I like Alice's solo work.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users