Making it as a fashion stylist, tips?

marieebo

Community Duchess
Nov 30, 2014
Italy
I honestly think this forum is the right place to ask, since we have a lot of insiders and people interested in fashion in general. I'm on my last year of high school and will be attending a fashion school in September, in Milan. The school is pretty known (Istituto Marangoni) and I really want to attend the fashion styling course, I don't see myself doing anything else, it's my biggest dream and it's been so since I started high school. I just have so many doubts: I see a lot of successful stylist that have degrees that have nothing to do with fashion, so is going to a fashion school a good idea?
I've also read that the best thing for a fashion student is to intern. Is it best to intern while you're still at school, maybe doing them in the summer or do they only take you after you have a degree? How realistic it is to be an assistant for a known fashion stylist if you don't have any connection?
I'm very ambitious, I dream big but I also want to keep myself grounded and work hard to get where I want to be. I will be attending the school open day next month so hopefully things will be more clear to me :)

I honestly think this forum is the right place to ask, since we have a lot of insiders and people interested in fashion in general. I'm on my last year of high school and will be attending a fashion school in September, in Milan. The school is pretty known (Istituto Marangoni) and I really want to attend the fashion styling course, I don't see myself doing anything else, it's my biggest dream and it's been so since I started high school. I just have so many doubts: I see a lot of successful stylist that have degrees that have nothing to do with fashion, so is going to a fashion school a good idea?
I've also read that the best thing for a fashion student is to intern. Is it best to intern while you're still at school, maybe doing them in the summer or do they only take you after you have a degree? How realistic it is to be an assistant for a known fashion stylist if you don't have any connection?
I'm very ambitious, I dream big but I also want to keep myself grounded and work hard to get where I want to be. I will be attending the school open day next month so hopefully things will be more clear to me :)

I'm in a similar position to you, and massive congratulations on going to Milan that's amazing! Best thing is to intern, it depends on the firm but most big companies only take graduate interns. I'm doing a month shadowing placement at Condé Nast next summer, but that is the only non-graduate scheme they offer. Department stores however may do 'personal shopping', which would be a great help in experience as a stylist - easy to find jobs/interns there too! Keep us posted if you get an internship lovely x

Reactions: 1 users

Congratulations on your admission! I hope it'll be a fantastic experience.

It might be a good idea to tag some of the VIPs/members who are knowledgable in this area to make sure you get the best insights.

You should also try to contact the careers officer/internship administrator at your new school to see what they advise. Most likely the institution will have contacts and programmes to organise work experience; my university (not fashion) had databases of opportunities, many networking events, connections with certain companies, careers advice and many similar services, and probably your school will help you in the same way if you take advantage of their facilities. If you email that person before you visit they might be able to make an appointment to speak to you, or at least provide information about the next steps and the right time in your course to pursue this.

You might also find that your tutors or visiting professors are also working in the industry and will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
as a fashion designer and after having solved by myself all of the doubts you had, what I have to say is:

DO intern while you're at school, or you're fucked up. as you're not getting paid it's illegal to do it otherwise. no one will take you as an intern if you have already been graduated. At CSM everyone does a gap year after the 2nd one to intern for 2, 3 different brands.

I am currently based in Milan, but I've been working in London before. Milan is not london, and do not expect to be getting the same job/internship opportunities. I got my current position at Milan, only after having a big name internship in London in my resume. In the end I can say I made it at Milan, but it was way more tough, and one thing is clear: I received way many offers at London, even without any previous experience.

When I applied for my position in London, I did not have any experience, not connections, and I was a lost child alone outside of my country speaking a whole different language (and so am I in Milan, I like to take risks I'd say). And I made it big. I guess the liked me, and obviously my portfolio. Anyway it still depends always on being at the right time in the right place with the right people.

summing: be ready for spending lots of money without earning, working LONG hours and keep your eyes opened all the time.

Of course this is the point of view of a designer not stylist BUT i can tell you being a stylist is even more difficult, as you need to build your portfolio working for free for years and I mean YEARS and obviously end up working with interesting people, while being a designer you can make an awesome portfolio just by yourself.

My advice is: lots of patience, work your ass off, do long hours, do not complain and be always willing to work and learn new things, even in your spare time. this does apply to everything in life tho, in the end is not that difficult. If you love what you do, you'll make it.

good luck

Reactions: 2 users