Alexis Ren

Holy crap, she has 6.4m followers at the moment... did that number really just jump since you posted this?! Or was that the last number that remembered from when you checked her account?

2m new followers in less than a week is, I suppose, an achievement of some sort. ;)
definitely was my mistake I hadn't checked her page in about two months or so--after she broke up with her boyfriend she must have gained a lot of followers ;)

Reactions: 1 user
God I didn't know they broke up. Her boyfriend was such a sleazy idiot, I remember he used to tag himself in photos of her and placed the tag right on her breasts or vagina...so. Gross. Idk why some girls do that to themselves and accept every kind of douchey behavior from their boyfriends, like start loving yourself lol

• Disagree
Reactions: 5 users
I actually don't mind her - she looks pretty decent in a swimsuit to me, she has a cute face and she isn't thick or vulgar or gross. Not SG skinny but tolerable body to me.
And while having followers isn't an accomplishment I think the 4 million followers comment was just a response to someone asking if hype about her actually existed. Not that it was an accomplishment of sorts

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Wait why would breaking up with her boyfriend make her gain so many new followers?
Hype. They both gained a ton of followers for their really sexual, adventurous pictures together and became the symbol of 'relationship goals' on social media. A lot of people got invested in them together and now they've completely cut each other off, which made everyone wonder if they were broken up --> more talk and interest and theories about both of them --> more followers and attention, which had been waning before. She's probably trying to transition more into 'serious modeling', not just bikini/Instagram/Brandy Melville (she has said she wants to do VS, walked her first runway for a small show recently, is attending more fashion weeks and hanging out with Angels/VS models) so she's trying to market herself as an individual, not a package deal

Reactions: 2 users
Posting pictures with bfs loses followers when people are following you for modeling or :ijizzed:
happens to me a lot--i posted a photo with this guy i've been seeing for the first time and lost 50 followers almost immediately (as if we were going to have sex otherwise, hmm sure) :cautious:

• Funny
Reactions: 1 user
Why does she have a thread?
She's not relevant at all. She's like any other girl from Instagram with a fit body, nothing new over here.

• Agree
No offense but I don't really consider that an achievement.
Disagree profusely. I know Kayla Itsines through friends and the money they were making at 2 million followers was insane, let alone what they are making at 5 million. 4 million followers is way more than any HF model at the top of their game will ever have (unless they had a VS contract) and the Instagrammers with 4 million followers are making more than most models can dream of. I hate it and it is a terrible world we live in, but that is reality these days. It is not as easy to get to 4 million as you think.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Disagree profusely. I know Kayla Itsines through friends and the money they were making at 2 million followers was insane, let alone what they are making at 5 million. 4 million followers is way more than any HF model at the top of their game will ever have (unless they had a VS contract) and the Instagrammers with 4 million followers are making more than most models can dream of. I hate it and it is a terrible world we live in, but that is reality these days. It is not as easy to get to 4 million as you think.
This all, is completely shit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah but Kayla made money because she was selling her fitness programs, not because of the number of followers...?

• Agree
@FrançoiseEllyn @hannegabyfreja @StarvingSlut

I do think it must take a lot of calculation and dedication to be a successful attention whore. They literally have to structure their lives around keeping 4-6 million netizans entertained/interested. It's self-centered and useless to society and I hate all these fake bitches with a passion, but I'm still a little impressed.

A friend of mine has a food instagram. There are a thousand things she does in the name of pleasing followers that drive me crazy. Like can you just for one fucking second please not be the soup dumpling paparrazzi

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: 14 users

I think this is a little insulting to @StarvingSlut's intelligence. SS has been a model for 8 or 9 years I think. Like no shit you can make good money if you have millions of IG followers but that's no different from how they could make good money if they had an online magazine with millions of readers. Oh wait it is different because then they'd have to be smart and literate.

What I took from SS is that she doesn't think a big IG following is a valuable life achievement. IMO money and achievement aren't the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: 11 users
Yeah but Kayla made money because she was selling her fitness programs, not because of the number of followers...?
Actually most people download it these days. They make money off promos not the program.

This all, is completely shit.
Ok whatever you think. But in the city we are from (Adelaide) not many people are ever successful at all. They have won awards for their business model from EY and despite what I think of Tobi's despicable personality, what they have done for themselves is pretty commendable.

There are a lot of girls with nice bodies and a pretty face and a simple gym program but not many get as far as that. I may despise him, but in the end they are two of the richest people in the entire state now just from Instagram. I consider that an achievement.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I think this is a little insulting to @StarvingSlut's intelligence. SS has been a model for 8 or 9 years I think. Like no shit you can make good money if you have millions of IG followers but that's no different from how they could make good money if they had an online magazine with millions of readers. Oh wait it is different because then they'd have to be smart and literate.

What I took from SS is that she doesn't think a big IG following is a valuable life achievement. IMO money and achievement aren't the same thing.
Ok I can understand that but all I was saying is that I do think it is an achievement. We definitely know from Natasha Poly etc that top models don't need to be smart or literate either. But I still think their success is an achievement.

Most people I know make fun of these type of professions (I am in investment banking) but i still think it is an achievement to get to the top at any field, no matter how vacuous it may be. Alexis is pretty famous and while I would be embarrassed to do what she does, I commend her for her efforts. Due to my love of fashion and the fact that everyone I work with thinks I am stupid for liking it, I am not into judging anyone's profession.

Last edited:
  • Agree
And btw @StarvingSlut I would never mean to insult your intelligence. I haven't ever had a disagreement with someone on here and I don't want to. I was just giving my opinion :flower:

• Agree
@FrançoiseEllyn @hannegabyfreja @StarvingSlut

I do think it must take a lot of calculation and dedication to be a successful attention whore. They literally have to structure their lives around keeping 4-6 million netizans entertained/interested. It's self-centered and useless to society and I hate all these fake bitches with a passion, but I'm still a little impressed.

A friend of mine has a food instagram. There are a thousand things she does in the name of pleasing followers that drive me crazy. Like can you just for one fucking second please not be the soup dumpling paparrazzi

My point is not to devalue the potential of Instagram, and the fame that follows it, but what it does and means to modeling. It, itself, has devalued modeling, as well as making what we see of the modeling industry ridiculous, and that's why there is nothing impressive about it. It may be impressive to have several million followers, and even to some of the top modeling agencies around the world, but I do not understand how that's impressive.

Money means nothing. And if you think it does, it shouldn't.

• Agree
I think the two are mutually exclusive: yes, having a lot of Instagram followers is an achievement. But it doesn't make a person more worthy or more important than someone with less followers. If someone told me that Alexis could hold her breath underwater for 5 minutes I'd find that equally as impressive (actually more so).

By the way, has anyone heard of Marnie the Dog? She has 1.2 million Instagram followers...not quite as many as Alexis but still, 1.2 million is pretty good for a dog!

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 7.38.26 PM.png

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: 9 users
My point is not to devalue the potential of Instagram, and the fame that follows it, but what it does and means to modeling. It, itself, has devalued modeling, as well as making what we see of the modeling industry ridiculous, and that's why there is nothing impressive about it. It may be impressive to have several million followers, and even to some of the top modeling agencies around the world, but I do not understand how that's impressive.

Money means nothing. And if you think it does, it shouldn't.

But I mean...is modelling impressive? I think it is, but I don't think you can think one is more impressive than the other. In both career paths, a girl is leveraging her looks and charisma to make a living for herself. It has been said in this thread that she is a very kind person in real life, so if a young pretty and kind girl has been able to make a living off her looks, I say congratulations.

I think the two are mutually exclusive: yes, having a lot of Instagram followers is an achievement. But it doesn't make a person more worthy or more important than someone with less followers. If someone told me that Alexis could hold her breath underwater for 5 minutes I'd find that equally as impressive (actually more so).

By the way, has anyone heard of Marnie the Dog? She has 1.2 million Instagram followers...not quite as many as Alexis but still, 1.2 million is pretty good for a dog!

Thank you, this is what I was saying. Of course she is not more important than anyone. But not everyone has the brains to set themselves up with a business others find intellectually worthy. If any young person manages to gain enough followers to make a living, good for them. Living off your looks is not a bad thing.

• Agree