Ask a model anything

Could you please expand on 'damage control'?
Umm, so if you have a very intricate hair style with glues or backcombing, the hair stylist will break you down (90% of the time), but not return your to a casting-ready shine. I have to pick my hair out (at times, so painful it shifts into nausea) slowly, while it's soaking in oil (olive or something). Same with makeup. These aren't really "beauty tips" that would be relevant or helpful to normal beauty routines. I guess just don't sleep in your makeup or don't wear it if you don't need it. If you see me on the street, my face will be all greased up with moisturizer (ZERO MAKEUP) to prep/compensate for whatever we shot. I often have to choose between fixing my hair and getting sleep.

Reactions: 5 users
This thread summs up the essence of this site in a bombshell. Went through all the posts and I feel enlightened and inspired thank you all for contributing :luv:

Umm, so if you have a very intricate hair style with glues or backcombing, the hair stylist will break you down (90% of the time), but not return your to a casting-ready shine. I have to pick my hair out (at times, so painful it shifts into nausea) slowly, while it's soaking in oil (olive or something). Same with makeup. These aren't really "beauty tips" that would be relevant or helpful to normal beauty routines. I guess just don't sleep in your makeup or don't wear it if you don't need it. If you see me on the street, my face will be all greased up with moisturizer (ZERO MAKEUP) to prep/compensate for whatever we shot. I often have to choose between fixing my hair and getting sleep.
Coconut oil I find works better than olive oil to remove makeup/glitter/hairspray/gel/teased hair. Might be more expensive in your area but it's 100% worth it and doesn't make me break out. I can slather it all over my face and wake up with good skin :)

Reactions: 1 user
This is open to all VIPs, not just the models. In your opinions, what countries produce the best girls? As in,
  • best bodies
  • best attitudes
  • best (easiest) to work with
I've heard that E. European girls are really nice to work with because they don't tend to have the same entitlement issues that a lot of people say the Western models have. No offense to our Western girls, of course.

I work in the opposite industry of modelling, really (restauranting!) but to go slightly off-topic, I could totally see how this could be true. I'm based in Canada and recently hired a girl from Russia, one from France, and two from Ireland, and they all have infinitely better work ethic and less entitlement than the average employee born and raised here. Like it's shocking, I can't call it a coincidence at this point.

Russian girls do work harder, yes, but they also can be very rude (by American standards, most particularly, to those 'beneath' them) and irreverent about everything (even big clients :hyper:) . Having lived with a house of them, this killed me:

Always mad. Always.
Girls from surrounding countries, in my very, very personal and limited experience, have the same work ethic but kinder manners.
From modeling, I have had the surprising opportunity to pull my American culture away from its context (which is hard because it's everywhere). I'm by no measure a type-A-evengelizing-socialclimbing-salesgirl but after spending time fully removed from my own culture (and isolated from my family, friends, or really anyone who speaks good English) I couldn't help but notice how much I smile, nod, laugh for no reason when I'm interacting with people at work or how much I'd bend over backwards to tidy-up before the maid came by or let people cut me in wild lines (to avoid confrontation). Russian girls do not smile without reason.

Reactions: 7 users
I couldn't help but notice how much I smile, nod, laugh for no reason when I'm interacting with people at work or how much I'd bend over backwards to tidy-up before the maid came by or let people cut me in wild lines (to avoid confrontation). Russian girls do not smile without reason.
one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"One of these days I'm going to put Band-aids across my mouth so smiling will become less of a reflex in uncomfortable situations." -Ingrid Bengis

Reactions: 2 users
^^ @Artemis, we're not always mad, what the f**** is this about :mad::supermad:

;)

This makes me think of how most Russians view it the opposite way regarding smiles, as in why the fuck would someone constantly smile, it's disingenuous..

Last edited:
I work in the opposite industry of modelling, really (restauranting!) but to go slightly off-topic, I could totally see how this could be true. I'm based in Canada and recently hired a girl from Russia, one from France, and two from Ireland, and they all have infinitely better work ethic and less entitlement than the average employee born and raised here. Like it's shocking, I can't call it a coincidence at this point.

I worked in a restaurant for years and all our best staff were from Poland. They were amazing people to work with - great work ethic, polite and good attitude as well as being quite happy to take a joke etc. I really liked working with them.

When the girl who washed up dishes left we replaced her with two English staff and the standard of work dropped overnight and the moaning increased tenfold; they were always smoking when I went to find them and nothing was ever completely done or done especially well.

We had a lot of other staff from various places in Europe and generally they were very good, but the Polish staff were something special.

Slightly irrelevant, but I also noticed that when British building sites started hiring more Polish workers they became much less horrible places to walk past because most of the builders were actually working instead of looking out for women to yell at.

Reactions: 2 users
I worked in a restaurant for years and all our best staff were from Poland. They were amazing people to work with - great work ethic, polite and good attitude as well as being quite happy to take a joke etc. I really liked working with them.

When the girl who washed up dishes left we replaced her with two English staff and the standard of work dropped overnight and the moaning increased tenfold; they were always smoking when I went to find them and nothing was ever completely done or done especially well.

We had a lot of other staff from various places in Europe and generally they were very good, but the Polish staff were something special.

Slightly irrelevant, but I also noticed that when British building sites started hiring more Polish workers they became much less horrible places to walk past because most of the builders were actually working instead of looking out for women to yell at.
I lovelovelove my Polish model friends.

Reactions: 1 users

It's probably just a matter of phrasing, but I can't not comment on the fact that France + Ireland and Russia are worlds apart when it comes to just about everything, including work ethics.
Also, even though it's going off topic, just my two cents: I do believe (not necessarily in modeling, but in restaurants and offices etc.) a lot of this has to do with language. A big part of the way you behave is connected to wether or not you have a good mastery of the language you're supposed to speak in your job. People from continental Europe, especially from the southern and eastern countries, often have insufficient foreign language skills. And even if they do speak good English, they often feel insecure about it. So in order to be hired (and stay hired), you have to work extra hard to justify you being there.
I often notice this in Berlin: So many bartenders or waiters, especially in the hot parts of the city, don't even care to talk to you in German any more. And they often show absolutely awful behavior towards the clients. I've been yelled at in English a lot more than in German in Berlin, and every time I think: If you're oh-so-superior, go learn some fucking German when you want to live and work here.
On the other hand, lots of native speakers who work in jobs that require some mastery of the German language are actually pretty damn good at it.
Bottom line: People who usually take the easiest way out (see Americans in Europe with absolutely no knowledge of the language; spoiled brats in America with no idea about anything else than the suburb they grew up in) are probably the people you don't wan to work with.

It's probably just a matter of phrasing, but I can't not comment on the fact that France + Ireland and Russia are worlds apart when it comes to just about everything, including work ethics.

Mhm, poor phrasing on my part -- my thoughts were more that Americans / Canadians can, as a very general trend, stick out as having a poor work ethic, not that French / Russian / Irish individuals group together as having a remarkable work ethic.

(Just for the sake of further clarification, in my post above, this specifically applies more to the 15-25 year old "millenial" category who make up my employees, and it obviously does not apply to all ;))

This seems like a weird question but I've come across it a lot in the acting industry. In terms of hands and feet, are you encouraged to keep them bare and manicured all the time? Or are you allowed to do what you want?

I remember doing a VISA commercial and the make-up artist freaking out because I had coloured nail polish on and my cuticles were dry.
My bad...:hibye:

This seems like a weird question but I've come across it a lot in the acting industry. In terms of hands and feet, are you encouraged to keep them bare and manicured all the time? Or are you allowed to do what you want?

I remember doing a VISA commercial and the make-up artist freaking out because I had coloured nail polish on and my cuticles were dry.
My bad...:hibye:

Yep, manicured and bare :)

(Just for the sake of further clarification, in my post above, this specifically applies more to the 15-25 year old "millenial" category who make up my employees, and it obviously does not apply to all ;))
It depends very much on the person's upbringing and past experiences. Millennials who have had everything provided to them are THE fucking worst. I just finished another round of interviews for professional school (I sit on the panel as interviewer) and the level of entitlement of some applicants was just beyond. It's one thing to be arrogant and entitled when you are *that* good, but most of these candidates were not. Just unbelievable. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
It's one thing to be arrogant and entitled when you are *that* good, but most of these candidates were not. Just unbelievable. :rolleyes:
Maybe it was just the interview process? I was taught to act arrogant for interviews/articles/presentations to appear confident in the material

Maybe it was just the interview process? I was taught to act arrogant for interviews/articles/presentations to appear confident in the material
No. There's a difference between arrogance and confidence. Without going into much detail, the way these interviews are structured gives insight into the person beyond just their qualifications on paper (which is important in any setting). This was my 3rd year sitting on the panel so let's just say I've seen a few interesting things. :p Anyway didn't mean to derail this thread. Back on topic...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Question: models, do you have your teeth professionally whitened, or are you just obsessive about dental hygiene? Or both?