Abercrombie wants thin customers

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that A&F used to be a fishing and tackle store... think Bass Pro Shops.

My my my, how the times do change...

Bone structure. Just last night I tried on a dress that would've otherwise looked cute and fit me, but it wouldn't zip up over my damn ribs. I went and got the large size and it zipped up but was too big. :meh: I also found out I'm a B instead of C cup now (former D), never thought my ribs would be the problem. insidious bastards

Have you tried tightlacing? If you hate them as much as you say wearing a shaper corset under clothes can change the shape of your ribs/waist.
6.jpg

Great comments on this article (most are the usual whinging - be warned):

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-explains-why-he-hates-fat-chicks/

Hate to break it to you, but clothing sizes have been getting steadily larger since the 1950s, so what was considered a size 6 today would probably be a size 10 60 years ago. And trying to say Marilyn Monroe was heavy is also BS--she had an extreme hourglass figure that doesn't correlate to any clothing sizes we have today.

Good God, I know what you mean!

I'm SICK of listening to those obese women (not chubby cute, I mean FAT ACTIVIST "YOU HAVE TWO YEARS TO LIVE" MORBIDLY OBESE!) saying Marilyn Monroe is their role model because she was a size this or a size that and she was a plus-size woman.

What?!?

Who the f**k cares? I don't care what size Marilyn Monroe (or Scarlett Johanson or Kate Upton) are. They look good. They have curves! Fat activists who are all about "real women have real curves" are usually ONE big curve.

Not to mention all the insults I heard in my life directed at petite girls by disgusting fat women: "Anorexic", "You're going to throw up that meal?" and other cruel stuff like that. Good on the CEO to not cater to gluttonous hamplanets! Fuck them and their "i can't lose weight cuz muh genetics!". Fuck you and your genetics. Eat less, exercise more and you will lose weight.

^ from a man by the way :) (although let's ignore the Upton 'look[ing] good bit...)

Have you tried tightlacing? If you hate them as much as you say wearing a shaper corset under clothes can change the shape of your ribs/waist.
6.jpg

No I don't hate them, I was partly joking when I wrote that "insidious bastards" part. I say the same thing about my hips which stop me from fitting into smaller sizes. :p I'm not tiny yet by any means, my measurements are just between a small and medium right now so I'm going to try to lose more weight before I resort to extremes. :oops: I probably would've been able to zip it up, I just didn't want to pinch myself and didn't think it was worth the trouble. I was looking for casual/easy dresses to slip on during the summer.

Abercrombie always uses controversy to stir publicity. It's a marketing strategy, which obviously works well for them, or they wouldn't do it.

My husband and I listen to some of the commentary on the radio - His comment, "They clearly know their demographic, and that demographic doesn't care. The people that do care and are offended were never the intended customer, so there will be minimal, if any impact from those pissed off. Abercrombie just got 20 minutes of free advertisting from this station and whoever else is lame enough to bring it up."
:luv: And this is why I married him. Smart and skinny-loving.

But truthfully, Abercrombie vanity sized everything too. When I was cleaning out my closet last year, I found a 'size 0' Abercrombie skirt from high school and it straight up fell off my definitely-not-a-size-0 ass.

Not a huge fan of Abercrombie, but I like that they're not catering to fatties.

On MyFitnessPal, the fatties were saying how this is disgusting and blah blah blah. :lol:

When I saw this on Facebook, I was so so tempted to comment something like, "Ha, this is hilarious. Not every clothing store has to cater to people who don't put any effort in maintaining a normal body size." But then it would probably make me look like a huge, insensitive bitch to all the people who don't share the same preference for the skinny aesthetic as I do. How did it become such a crime in our society to say that I prefer being thin? Some people out there are so insanely quick to defend against any sort of fat-shaming. Makes me so mad :mad:

When I saw this on Facebook, I was so so tempted to comment something like, "Ha, this is hilarious. Not every clothing store has to cater to people who don't put any effort in maintaining a normal body size." But then it would probably make me look like a huge, insensitive bitch to all the people who don't share the same preference for the skinny aesthetic as I do. How did it become such a crime in our society to say that I prefer being thin? Some people out there are so insanely quick to defend against any sort of fat-shaming. Makes me so mad :mad:

AGREE! AGREE! AGREE! Along with every other comment in this thread. I feel so enraged right now reading about this-- somehow this article has just entered into my social realm on facebook, apparently my friends are behind on fashion news....and I keep seeing anti-skinny comments, and it really offends me. 1. health is at risk when you are overweight 2. There is nothing wrong with being skinny. I always imagined if I started my own clothing line I would only carry up to a size 7, in my fantasy. Goon on you abercrombie. You cant please everyone, you also shouldnt carry normal and plus sizes in the same store, just sayin'.

Abercrombie always uses controversy to stir publicity. It's a marketing strategy, which obviously works well for them, or they wouldn't do it.

My husband and I listen to some of the commentary on the radio - His comment, "They clearly know their demographic, and that demographic doesn't care. The people that do care and are offended were never the intended customer, so there will be minimal, if any impact from those pissed off. Abercrombie just got 20 minutes of free advertisting from this station and whoever else is lame enough to bring it up."
:luv: And this is why I married him. Smart and skinny-loving.

But truthfully, Abercrombie vanity sized everything too. When I was cleaning out my closet last year, I found a 'size 0' Abercrombie skirt from high school and it straight up fell off my definitely-not-a-size-0 ass.

Oh well if they vanity size then who cares? I just thought it was problematic that they called everyone above a size 10 fat. I bought a pair of size 9/10 pants yesterday, I fit into a size 0 at other stores no problem.:wtf:

Okay, now this thing is all over my newsfeed - and I'm shocked at how many of my friends who have never even tried to shop there, and may actually not be hamplanets have been freaking out over this.

Now, I don't like Abercrombie, and I never have (totally not my style and I associate it with many people who gave me shit growing up), but I am already tired of the comments about this. :rolleyes:

Who the hell cares who they market clothing to? Why does that matter at all if you don't even shop there? I guess everyone has to jump on the "OMG SOCIAL INJUSTICE YOU GUYS" bandwagon...it's the only logical reason I have come up with.

With that said, I bring you this video, which just makes me laugh:

I can't stop laughing about this, to be honest.

The amount of fatties crying for an A&F boycott on Facebook and Tumblr is ridiculous. Yeah, go ahead, boycott a store that doesn't want your business anyway because that'll completely change the CEO's mind. :lol:

Why are plus size stores never faced with this amount of backlash for only catering to a certain size range, by the way? Holy fucking double standard.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
Jeffries comments about his company were made in an interview back in 2007 in Salon magazine. I'm not sure what people think will change from bashing this company. In fact, it will only become more successful. this is essentially free press.

I think that every store should be able to choose who they want to cater to, but I hate Abercrombie and Fitch and can't stand their CEO. This is not because of his "fat shaming" but because I hate having a creepy old guy telling me who/what is cool and stuff. To me, he sounds like a kid who never got picked first for sports and is now trying to make up for it...
I also find their stuff to be way too expensive for such poor quality. I could rant on and on about this company...
BUT I don't see what the big deal is about the sizes and stuff. If you don't fit in their clothes, just go somewhere else (and think about losing a few, just saying).

It's a shame when people think low of themselves, and not take care of their health and weight balance. But I also think it's a shame to exclude people from, how they called it: 'The cool-kids club', because of their size. A&F doesn't approach this from a healthy point of view, but they put up a snobby and arrogant attitude. I wouldn't wear A&F because I don't want to be associated with that attitude.

Yes ofcourse you look better in a small size and a healthy weight, but when you're overweight, you have to put your focus on the 'healthy' and not the 'look better', to make a longlasting change. You're doing it for yourself; to improve the length and quality of your own life. If you're doing it for you're image, then people's opinion is more important to you than your health. Then you're overrating other's opinion, or you have a low selfesteem. Mostly you're overrating other's opinion BECAUSE you have a low selfesteem. Been there, felt that. Hearing A&F say you'll never be part of 'the cool-kids club', makes you even more sad and dissapointed in yourself, and makes you wanna eat away your feelings even more.

I started to lose weight because of what others said. It all hurted me to much. It hadn't so much to do with lazyness, but with a very low selfesteem and not believing I would ever be able to accomplice my goalweight without extreme measures. I lost the weight but gained an eatingdisorder because of the wrong motivation. I'm still working on my self-esteem, and when I look at girls under- or overweight, I see girls who also struggle with it. When I see a woman mobidly obese, I'm mostly disgusted because you can see her pain is way bigger than her size and everybody laughs about it.

It's just like high school. You feel flattered when the popular girls invite you to their 'club', but it feels even better to say 'No' if it means you have to be a mean girl to fit in. I feel flattered A&F want to be associated with 'my size', but I don't want to be associated with them.

Reactions: 1 users
I have never,and probably never will buy Abercrombie. Nothing against the people who do, but it's not my kind of thing. I have no problem with the skinny stance - plenty of companies think the same but don't say it out loud. I however do have a problem with HOW they state it, and particularly their comment about the 'cool kids'. I don't like the look of fat people more than any other SG girl, but the guy's comments were disrespectful. Also, I was never a cool kid. I never wanted to be a cool kid. Doesn't mean I'm some pathetic loser, and it certainly doesn't mean that wearing Abercrombie makes you cool. I'm from Europe, and a lot of the people that wear Hollister and Abercrombie here are quite frankly insolent, arrogant snobfaces that wear the lable like some kind of priviledge. THAT is what I do not agree with. Clothes do not define a person, and some people can not afford it. To scream it around like it's something to be proud of is perverted.

But hey, just my two cents. Skinny stores all the way, just don't be offensive about it. Then, we're just as bad as all of these 'real women have curves' people.