Abercrombie wants thin customers

SFsun

Rookie
Jan 26, 2012
Northern California
This overweight girl posted this on Facebook today with the caption:

"Its thanks to these narrowminded asses that teens have such issues with self esteem. God forbid someone has natural healthy curves. Abercrombie, you can shove it"

http://www.businessinsider.com/abercrombie-wants-thin-customers-2013-5

Obviously, I had to click on it and share it with you ladies! It basically discusses how the Abercrombie CEO refuses to make clothing any bigger than a size large for women (although their men's line goes up to XXL) because they don't want fat people tarnishing their brand.

"Natural healthy curves" include breasts and butt, I'm pretty sure being an XL is just considered fat.

There are brands out now that cater exclusively to plus-sized women, I don't understand why it's so scandalous for Abercrombie & Fitch to want to cater exclusively to slender, fit or thin people.

Reactions: 1 user
I like Abercrombie now :) Not that I didn't like it before.

I adore how Abercrombie is not succumbing to the obesity problem.

Seriously people, if you can't fit into a large, then you are overweight. Period. And oh my god when people come into Hollister (Hollister is owned by A&F) and complain about the sizes, saying that they are too small, it pisses me off. Honestly, #1 - Hollister is junior sizes, so God forbid they sell clothing that is smaller than your fat ass, #2 - they go up to size 9 (and sometimes 11). That is a 29/30" waist. If you are bigger than that, get to the gym and put down the chips and junk food instead of complaining about clothes being too small. IT IS YOU, NOT THE CLOTHES!!, and #3 - if you don't like the clothes that the store sells, then gtfo and go somewhere else. It isn't that hard. And honestly, what do you expect skinny people to do? Go around naked because nothing fits so that you can feel better in your delusion that you are just "curvy"?

And bravo to the Abercrombie company for not caving to peer pressure. Due to the fact that pretty much every mall has one, I'd say that they are pretty successful, and that their clients are getting the sizes that they need.

Sadly, people cannot understand they are not meant to be fat.

There are brands out now that cater exclusively to plus-sized women, I don't understand why it's so scandalous for Abercrombie & Fitch to want to cater exclusively to slender, fit or thin people.

YES :highfive:

Why is it that Addition Elle doesn't get hounded for not making clothes in a size 0? It's the exact same argument!!!!!

Saw more shit on a Facebook friend's wall:
225719_560467807336885_2130069962_n.jpg

Only, I'm REALLY disappointed that she posted this, because she's a close friend of mine and my skin lady, and she herself has experienced disordered eating and still to this day is thinking about it -- she's on to the Paleo diet and told me I couldn't bring her a birthday gluten-free carrot cupcake because she wanted to get her body fat percentage down.

This world is full of stupid double standards :mad:

They can cry me a river. I'm sick of seeing people bowing to vocal pressure, simply because it's politically correct. The Western world is not a healthy size (I stand to be corrected but ~1/3 with a BMI >30?) and the problem isn't getting any better; why should companies endorse that?

Reactions: 1 user

It's supposed to be you're. Call me a grammar cop, but that's really basic English. It just really ruins the whole thing for me. :smash:

tumblr_mmelvcOblS1splhkco1_500.gif

Okay I really don't care for grammar that much but if you're going to make a giant fucking sign promoting your fatness at least use the correct form of you're.

Anyway, having a B.M.I. of 26 is not healthy or natural or curvy. It's fat and unnatural and brought on by the standard processed Western diet and a general lack of exercise.

Stop spending your time complaining about being fat and just get on the damn treadmill people.

It's supposed to be you're. Call me a grammar cop, but that's really basic English. It just really ruins the whole thing for me. :smash:

tumblr_mmelvcOblS1splhkco1_500.gif

Okay I really don't care for grammar that much but if you're going to make a giant fucking sign promoting your fatness at least use the correct form of you're.

Anyway, having a B.M.I. of 26 is not healthy or natural or curvy. It's fat and unnatural and brought on by the standard processed Western diet and a general lack of exercise.

Stop spending your time complaining about being fat and just get on the damn treadmill people.

YES! I didn't even read past the stupid insult of people with a mental ILLNESS to notice the grammar mistake :facepalm:

I have a pair of sweatpants from them from back in my "fat" days (when I had a BMI of maybe 20ish -- I was around 130), and I am currently SWIMMING in them (they're a size Medium). I'm not particularly tiny right now, but BMI 16, so I guess standard skinny. WHO THE HELL NEEDS ANYTHING BIGGER THAN A LARGE?! And in SWEATPANTS moreover?!?!? (the kind with no drawstring, so you're meant to really fill them so they don't fall down)

:nopity: These whiners, I tell you.....They should just make their next slogan "real women don't shop at A&F" and just move on, so we can stop catering to their nonsense.

So, it's perfectly acceptable to have clothing stores that cater only for plus size women (evans in the UK) but outrageous that one store only goes up to a size large, which is still more than is often offered to skinny people.

I like the thought behind it too, but I just got irritated, because I kept reading the word "cool, cool kids etc." about a 1000 times in that article... :meh:

I think it's stupid many people make a big deal out of it. There are more than enough stores with bigger sizes. And I personaly think that when you wear a large, you are either tall, or you are a little chubby/above normal (not that skinny).
If people want to wear that brand, maybe that could motivate them losing weight? Complaining isn't really going to take them far;D
And I can understand that some clothes just don't look good in bigger sizes. So seriously, it's their right to say they only want slimmer costumers.

@Celestial haha that is so true! Why does everything has to change because people are getting bigger? Aren't they realizing that maybe, there is something wrong with them?
I am starting to get really annoyed by that fat-pride-movement :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
There were several clothing brands that didn't carry my former (fat) size. So, what was I supposed to do? Bash them all over social networks? Believe they should cater to my fat needs just like "golden arches" & co?

I don't see the big deal here? Stores cater to all sorts of types I don't see why it should matter. I think maybe the association of 'cool' with 'skinny' is what is pissing some off, as in 'we cater to the cool kids hence we don't sell large sizes' but hey thats their interpretation of 'cool' (and I would say its most everyone's if they are being honest), and they are entitled to it.

Well, I do think they should stock larger sizes... I sometimes wear large and size 8 in teen stores and I don't think I'm fat ): A lot of tall size 10 girls (their cuttoff) are pretty skinny too. You can check my skinny showcase thread and tell me if I'm just delusional though... .__.

Ehhhh I think A&F clothes are hideous anyway. Basically Walmart-type generic American casual stuff with a higher price tag (and ~better quality~, but who cares, if it's a logo t-shirt or whiskered jeans??). I think A&F execs have realized that if fat people wore their clothes, it would be obvious how frumpy their clothes really are.

Well, I do think they should stock larger sizes... I sometimes wear large and size 8 in teen stores and I don't think I'm fat ): A lot of tall size 10 girls (their cuttoff) are pretty skinny too. You can check my skinny showcase thread and tell me if I'm just delusional though... .__.

Bone structure. Just last night I tried on a dress that would've otherwise looked cute and fit me, but it wouldn't zip up over my damn ribs. I went and got the large size and it zipped up but was too big. :meh: I also found out I'm a B instead of C cup now (former D), never thought my ribs would be the problem. insidious bastards

I think maybe the association of 'cool' with 'skinny' is what is pissing some off, as in 'we cater to the cool kids hence we don't sell large sizes' but hey thats their interpretation of 'cool' (and I would say its most everyone's if they are being honest), and they are entitled to it.

Yeah something about that rubbed me the wrong way because I was always overweight and never one of the "cool kids: cool meaning preppy, sporty, popular and rich I'm assuming" in school. But a lot of those "cool kids" that wore a&f are fat losers now so I laugh at them. muahaha :lol:

Ehhhh I think A&F clothes are hideous anyway. Basically Walmart-type generic American casual stuff with a higher price tag (and ~better quality~, but who cares, if it's a logo t-shirt or whiskered jeans??). I think A&F execs have realized that if fat people wore their clothes, it would be obvious how frumpy their clothes really are.

True, I never got the appeal of those clothes. Even when I was overweight, my idea of style and what I wanted to look good in wasn't plain jeans and a stupid shirt with a label on it. I'm much more creative than that, I hope. :confused:

So, it's perfectly acceptable to have clothing stores that cater only for plus size women (evans in the UK) but outrageous that one store only goes up to a size large, which is still more than is often offered to skinny people.

This.

Double standard strikes again! :meh:

Yeah something about that rubbed me the wrong way because I was always overweight and never one of the "cool kids: cool meaning preppy, sporty, popular and rich I'm assuming" in school. But a lot of those "cool kids" that wore a&f are fat losers now so I laugh at them. muahaha :lol:

True, I never got the appeal of those clothes. Even when I was overweight, my idea of style and what I wanted to look good in wasn't plain jeans and a stupid shirt with a label on it. I'm much more creative than that, I hope. :confused:

Haha, as a former (and still, lol), definitely, totally, completely NOT COOL kid, I have also never understood the appeal. I just remember going to school with about 3,000 kids and 80% of them all having the exact same wardrobe, all from Abercrombie, and thinking that was just so terribly sheep-like of them, haha.

I'll stick with my very basic, monochromatic wardrobe, just like I always have. :)

Beyond that, this just sounds like a whole new wave of people with their panties in a bunch, and it is an irritating din that serves no purpose except to make themselves feel better by trying to prove the world wrong. Not going to work.