Skinny Gossip Forums

Go Back   Skinny Gossip Forums > The Editing Room > Member Articles

A Week of Groceries in Different Countries.

Member Articles

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Worker Bee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
eyelinerandspraypaint could probably outstarve youeyelinerandspraypaint could probably outstarve youeyelinerandspraypaint could probably outstarve youeyelinerandspraypaint could probably outstarve you
Default A Week of Groceries in Different Countries.

http://realitypod.com/2013/05/a-week...ries-pictures/

Really interesting, US and UK unsurprising, but quite tragic when you compare it to the amount the family in Chad have.

What do you ladies think?

5'2
CW: 86lbs as of May 23rd
GW: 80lbs - will review when I get there.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Star

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Stick.figure is definitely better than almost anyone elseStick.figure is definitely better than almost anyone elseStick.figure is definitely better than almost anyone elseStick.figure is definitely better than almost anyone elseStick.figure is definitely better than almost anyone elseStick.figure is definitely better than almost anyone elseStick.figure is definitely better than almost anyone else

What disgusts/surprises me is the amount of pre-packaged food. Yes, fair enough, people eating lots of grains and bread and pasta - but so much packaging everywhere! The US people eat more out of packages then fresh!

Also, the amount of pizza is overwhelming, and it is sad that a US family half the size of a chad family has five times the amount to eat.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Community Duchess

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
doors-of-perception is a true champion of the communitydoors-of-perception is a true champion of the communitydoors-of-perception is a true champion of the communitydoors-of-perception is a true champion of the communitydoors-of-perception is a true champion of the communitydoors-of-perception is a true champion of the communitydoors-of-perception is a true champion of the communitydoors-of-perception is a true champion of the community

This is so interesting and how good does the food look in some of these countries?

I say this over and over again and it's proven right here. When people say "I can't afford to eat healthy, it's too expensive" look at these countries. The poorer ones have all the fresh fruit and veg and grains. The rich countries have the ready meals, crisps, fizzy drinks and junk.

For the last 5 years I've shopped at big supermarkets and spend anything between £25 and £60 a week on food for two of us. I'd say 60% of the cost is on fresh produce, the other 40% is the sandwich filling, bread, milk, cereal my boyfriend eats and of course things like olive oil that can add up.
Last week, we decided to get a few frozen bits (chicken breast, quorn) from Sainsbury and all our fruit, veg, grains, tins and oil from a local grocers.

We spent £20 in Sainsbury's on about 6 items and £10 in the local grocers on 3 large peppers, one huge lettuce, 3 red onions, 1 aubergine, 1 Chinese leaf, 1 huge broccoli, 1 cucumber, 5 of the firmest, red tomatoes I have ever seen in my life (on the vine), 2 tins of kidney beans, 3 tins of the most gorgeous chunky tinned tomatoes, a tin of chickpeas, 1 litre of olive oil, 1 jar of Saur Kraut, 1 jar of gherkins and some ham for boyfriend's sandwiches for work!

And it was the freshest, nicest, biggest bunch of veg I have ever seen!

CW: 101lbs, GW: 90lbs
Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Grand Dame

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
salander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the community

Yeah, this looks pretty accurate to a lot of people I know, really.

Anyone else think doing a SG version of this in different countries would be interesting?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM
SuperStar

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
alexandtm is a true champion of the communityalexandtm is a true champion of the communityalexandtm is a true champion of the communityalexandtm is a true champion of the communityalexandtm is a true champion of the communityalexandtm is a true champion of the communityalexandtm is a true champion of the communityalexandtm is a true champion of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by salander View Post
Anyone else think doing a SG version of this in different countries would be interesting?
I think that would be cool! A post your groceries thread?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Grand Dame

salander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the communitysalander is a true champion of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandtm View Post
Yeah, a week of groceries for you and/or you and your partner, and the cost in your local currency.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Is So Fucking Banned

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Jasmine is painfully average

Good effing GAWD I'm ashamed of some of these Western countries..... I can't relate to any of those countries tbh, partly because I cook a lot in bulk and then store prepared meals in the freezer, partly because I live alone, so there's only one person to feed with the groceries, and partly because I try not to treat my body like shit like most "privileged" people do

Kind of sickens me when people blame the economic situation on not being able to eat healthy -- sorry, but 10 liters of coke a week is NOT cheaper than spending that money on a Brita filter for the year and apples to snack on instead. Look at the people who ACTUALLY live in poverty -- they aren't eating processed crap. Mind you, they can't afford to eat enough, but what they eat certainly isn't the junk that most people in this country do and who blame it on not having "the money to eat healthy". Sorry, but that's bull. Maybe junk food is less expensive than healthy food, but does that mean you spend whatever money you have on enough of it to make you obese? NO! People don't understand the difference between CORRELATION and CAUSATION. Do they not realize that smoking is also more common in lower socioeconomic classes? Oh, that's because breathing cigarettes is less expensive than breathing air, right right...

Snap, didn't realize I was feeling so bitchy today

End rant?...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Is So Fucking Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandtm View Post
That would be FAB!!! Somebody should totally start this thread
@salander -- I can start it if you like?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Grand Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
That would be FAB!!! Somebody should totally start this thread
@salander -- I can start it if you like?
Go for it! I won't be getting groceries until next week sometime, so I think you totally should go for it.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Is So Fucking Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by salander View Post
Go for it! I won't be getting groceries until next week sometime, so I think you totally should go for it.
I won't be able to post mine for a while But I can certainly get one started What section would it go under?