Skinny Gossip Forums

Go Back   Skinny Gossip Forums > The Powder Room > Beauty

Difference between "unconventional beauty" and "ugly"?

Beauty

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Worker Bee

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
tiffanysgirl18 is becoming quite impressivetiffanysgirl18 is becoming quite impressive

Someone I think is actually beautiful but still unconventional looking is Devon Aoki. I have a major crush on her.

Sorry for picspam I just adore her!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Grand Dame

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Coffee_Girl is definitely better than almost anyone elseCoffee_Girl is definitely better than almost anyone elseCoffee_Girl is definitely better than almost anyone elseCoffee_Girl is definitely better than almost anyone elseCoffee_Girl is definitely better than almost anyone elseCoffee_Girl is definitely better than almost anyone else

I think Tilda Swinton is an unconventional beauty, while most people I know ( at least all men I know ) would say she is plain ugly.

Plus, it's often a matter of attitude and character.
Someone mentioned Tyra Banks as ugly, and she is not facially unpretty. It's her bitchy attitude that makes her ugly.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Grand Dame

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 11 Thread(s)
Samira is definitely better than almost anyone elseSamira is definitely better than almost anyone elseSamira is definitely better than almost anyone elseSamira is definitely better than almost anyone elseSamira is definitely better than almost anyone elseSamira is definitely better than almost anyone elseSamira is definitely better than almost anyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalG View Post
how about we shorten it up to "beauty challenged" LOL

I definitely think some models can have beautiful faces and icky bodies and vice versa. I see lots of models' pics on this site that I think "ewww" how is she a model?! but hey, who am I to judge.

I think the unconventional beauty is a lame way of saying, someone is just not cute but someone thought so, so now they are famous..

I say, we just stop sugar coating everything and call it like it is. Where is Samira when you need her?!

<3
HI I AM HERE

Look, "unconventional beauty" is not the same as not calling a spade a spade with regards to "ugly". In my view, "unconventional beauty" is a girl who can take an attribute normally considered ugly or unflattering and turn it into part of a beautiful look. Example: Vlada and her eyebags. "Ugly" is something like this:

=

And I agree, girls have an absolute terror of just sucking it up and accepting they're not beautiful. No, honey, you're NOT UGLY OMG NO YOU'RE SO STUNNING SO STUNNING <3 <3 <3 If everyone could be beautiful, where would models be? That said, models sell a body in most cases, not necessarily a face. (So, doubly: WHY is Daphne G allowed on a catwalk?)

But meh, maybe it's because I'm one of those girls that's accepted I'm not particularly good-looking and will never be a model that allows me to say such things

5'8"
CW: 104 lb/47.2 kg
29-22.5-32.5
quote, mention or tag me if you want a reply
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 AM
SuperStar

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
RedGlitter could probably outstarve youRedGlitter could probably outstarve youRedGlitter could probably outstarve youRedGlitter could probably outstarve youRedGlitter could probably outstarve you

I agree with what some of you said, that there are people who are just ugly, its a fact. But I also think being called ugly, especially when your face is ugly, is very insulting, cause you can´t do much about it. You can do something when you have an ugly body, but an ugly face...well...hard to change.

I think being called "ugly" is much less insulting when you accepted that you´re not beautiful, but still its not what anyone loves to hear of course.

But there are some people who carry it very well...I remember a line of "Chelsea Hotel" by Leonard Cohen when he sings about Janis Joplin who has said something like "Well never mind, we are ugly but we have the music." Or Keith Richards who said "I am an ugly guy, but I had a lot of beautiful women". Some pretty cool and somehow sexy people are/were ugly and maybe people sometimes mix that up...so when someone is special and interesting they say its "unconventional beauty" cause they don´t know how to express that the person is ugly but still sexy/cool/fascinating.

Being ugly is not the worst thing that can happen I think - if you have other talents or things that make you unique and lead you through life. Being ugly AND boring is frustrating of course If you´re a model AND have an ugly face its maybe a bit confusing, cause its all about what you look like in that job, but I also think the fashion industry is a place for girls who are not what the average person would call "cute and pretty", there are some stunning women, looking powerful and special..like Freja, like Abbey, like Karlie...beautiful in their own way. And I am definately not a fan of the "average pretty look", so I like it that in the industry there are a lot of tall girls with special faces who make the clothes look fantastic and who are also inspirational in their own clothes.

But like some girls already said: It needs to work together, some are just ugly, like this girl posted above..Kelly Mittendorf...come on..she looks worse than most of the girls in this thread for sure...she has a nice mouth, but shes a good example that not every girl with big lips and teethgap is beautiful
Old 05-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Worker Bee

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
fatbarbie could probably outstarve youfatbarbie could probably outstarve youfatbarbie could probably outstarve you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanysgirl18 View Post
Someone I think is unquestionably hideous is Kelly Mittendorf... she blew up in the industry a little while ago but I havent heard much lately thank goodness.
Kelly Mittendorf for Lula #14 (Spring/Summer 2012)

I'm not a fan, but in some pics she doesn't look that bad (tbh i even like the second pic). I think it's kind of an advantage if you are as unique as her... people have seen her once and they will recognize her again...
Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Worker Bee

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
tiffanysgirl18 is becoming quite impressivetiffanysgirl18 is becoming quite impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbarbie View Post
Kelly Mittendorf for Lula #14 (Spring/Summer 2012)

I'm not a fan, but in some pics she doesn't look that bad (tbh i even like the second pic). I think it's kind of an advantage if you are as unique as her... people have seen her once and they will recognize her again...
Her forehead to me hangs way too low over her eyes, she looks like a cavewoman
These pictures of her are flattering though, considering what she usually looks like
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Community Duchess

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
SatelliteEyes is a true champion of the communitySatelliteEyes is a true champion of the communitySatelliteEyes is a true champion of the communitySatelliteEyes is a true champion of the communitySatelliteEyes is a true champion of the communitySatelliteEyes is a true champion of the communitySatelliteEyes is a true champion of the communitySatelliteEyes is a true champion of the communitySatelliteEyes is a true champion of the communitySatelliteEyes is a true champion of the community

The only difference, IMO, is the eye of the beholder.
GM: 31/23/33
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Grand Dame

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Celestial could probably outstarve youCelestial could probably outstarve youCelestial could probably outstarve youCelestial could probably outstarve you

I though unconventional beauty is where you don't fit in with the standards of beauty like say you aren't blonde, don't have blues eyes, aren't tall or thin. Like exotic beauty.

Ugly is just ugly
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Worker Bee

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
amb is working her way up in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanysgirl18 View Post
Someone I think is unquestionably hideous is Kelly Mittendorf... she blew up in the industry a little while ago but I havent heard much lately thank goodness.

Am I crazy?? She was in Prada's campaign and a few other big name runway shows and I'm sure I'm forgetting other shit.
Seriously though, her face scares me!!
I got a bit freaked out, honestly. Yeah, easily recognizable, but... I don't ever wanna buy anything she endorsed...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
skinny4ever is just getting started

I believe ugly/unconventional models are in for the next 10 years till Neptune goes out of Aquarius.
We just all have to put up with it.

Tags
beauty, pretty, ugly, unconventional beauty, unique face