Skinny Gossip Forums

Go Back   Skinny Gossip Forums > The Editing Room > Member Articles

Obsessed with beauty?

Member Articles

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Worker Bee

Location: Living in the States at the moment. when I graduate, we'll see!
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
natashafromrussia is just getting started
Default Re: Obsessed with beauty?

Yes, we are quite vain!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Worker Bee

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
vlada could probably outstarve youvlada could probably outstarve youvlada could probably outstarve youvlada could probably outstarve you

A lot of people have mentioned the importance of taking care of yourself, having good skin, etc....but what about the features of your face and body that spoil your beauty and that you can't do anything about?

For example, there are a number of physical defects and imperfections that I was born with -- they're my lot in life, and they mar my appearance. Meanwhile, there are plenty of models out there who are stunningly beautiful and have no flaws whatsoever. Edita V, Vlada, Snejana, Valentina Zhelyaeva, Natasha Poly, etc -- perfectly symmetrical faces with perfect little noses; perfect bodies with perfect breasts, perfect legs, perfect skin...So perfect beauty does exist, and some people are lucky enough to be born with it, and the rest of us of can never attain it no matter how well-groomed and well-put-together we are.

I think this obsession with beauty really started for me when I first found pictures of my husband's ex-girlfriend. His ex-girlfriend was beautiful enough to be a model. She was Eastern European, extremely thin (like, Vlada-thin, but with perky C-cup breasts), and had a type of beauty that has always been extremely compelling for me -- long, full-bodied black hair, huge dark eyes with perfectly arched black eyebrows, pale skin, high cheekbones, and a perfect nose. Oh and perfect lips. When I saw those pictures, I basically wanted to kill myself (not literally, but that's how bad I felt inside). It's like my life was ruined because I could never be that beautiful, no matter what I did.

So ever since, this concept of innate beauty has haunted me, and the knowledge that some people are born with it and some people aren't.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 AM
Star

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Lina is becoming quite impressiveLina is becoming quite impressiveLina is becoming quite impressive

I completely understand where @vlada is coming from and feel the same. No matter how much time and effort I put into my appearance, there will be people who spend ten minutes getting ready and will still look more beautiful than me. They just have more beautiful features. I find it a bit soul destroying sometimes but, short of surgery, there isn't a lot that can be done.

Spending a lot of time on my appearance, my weight and my style choices will simply get me closer to that, and that's just what I'll have to settle for.

It's like when people say "real beauty is on the inside" and "you're beautiful in your own way". I agree to some extent, but at the same time, I don't want to be beautiful in my own way. I want to be objectively beautiful. The kind of beautiful where you walk into a room and everyone is captivated.

Sucks, but ah well.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 AM
Grand Dame

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Lolita is a true champion of the communityLolita is a true champion of the communityLolita is a true champion of the communityLolita is a true champion of the communityLolita is a true champion of the communityLolita is a true champion of the communityLolita is a true champion of the communityLolita is a true champion of the community

As cheesy as it may sound, part of your beauty DOES come from within... At least to a certain extent

If you copy paste the face of a person, one is smiling, seems happy etc. and the other one isn't, the most 'appealing' will always be the smiling one.

However, it is true that beauty is undeniably very, very important in everyday life, it's the first thing a person see, and judges...

As childish as it seems, I need to be beautiful. It's as if it's the only way to prove my worth (to people in the street).

You may say whatever you want, but in general an ''ugly'' person is often less respected, less popular, less successful that a conventionally ''pretty'' person (with some exceptions, of course)

GW: 48 kg
Old 07-19-2013, 02:31 PM
SkinnyGossip Royal

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
classichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlada View Post
A lot of people have mentioned the importance of taking care of yourself, having good skin, etc....but what about the features of your face and body that spoil your beauty and that you can't do anything about?

For example, there are a number of physical defects and imperfections that I was born with -- they're my lot in life, and they mar my appearance. Meanwhile, there are plenty of models out there who are stunningly beautiful and have no flaws whatsoever. Edita V, Vlada, Snejana, Valentina Zhelyaeva, Natasha Poly, etc -- perfectly symmetrical faces with perfect little noses; perfect bodies with perfect breasts, perfect legs, perfect skin...So perfect beauty does exist, and some people are lucky enough to be born with it, and the rest of us of can never attain it no matter how well-groomed and well-put-together we are.
These girls are beautiful but physical defects and imperfections that we are born with can be beautiful. Not necessarily everyone may find Edita V, Vlada, Snejana and so on beautiful (although I don't know who). I think flaws/imperfections and all that is beautiful, it may not be characterised as standard beauty but these faces are interesting. I can't think of an example right now but there are lots of faces that are far more interesting than faces that are considered to be more beautiful. I think we need to get over having a certain kind of face or a particular kind of feature. I've been told many times I have the ideal nose. To me I find this completely strange, I have never ever looked in the mirror (well I do now because I get told frequently) and paid any attention to my nose being nice/or the ideal one or whatever and still find it strange that a common procedure is a nose job. I've looked in the mirror plenty of times and wished I can be prettier or having a complete new face but not necessarily a change in any particular feature that's considered more beautiful. It's strange because there are a ton of girls beautiful with big/short/round/flat noses or with big/thin lips. Changing one of them isn't going to make one any more beautiful it's the whole face. Also, I haven't looked at anyone and said that if she had fuller lips or if she had a more narrow nose she'd be more beautiful. It's the whole face and the emotion behind the eyes in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 25 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Worker Bee

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
casualrunnergal could probably outstarve youcasualrunnergal could probably outstarve youcasualrunnergal could probably outstarve youcasualrunnergal could probably outstarve you

Quote:
Originally Posted by classichic View Post
These girls are beautiful but physical defects and imperfections that we are born with can be beautiful. Not necessarily everyone may find Edita V, Vlada, Snejana and so on beautiful (although I don't know who). I think flaws/imperfections and all that is beautiful, it may not be characterised as standard beauty but these faces are interesting. I can't think of an example right now but there are lots of faces that are far more interesting than faces that are considered to be more beautiful. I think we need to get over having a certain kind of face or a particular kind of feature. I've been told many times I have the ideal nose. To me I find this completely strange, I have never ever looked in the mirror (well I do now because I get told frequently) and paid any attention to my nose being nice/or the ideal one or whatever and still find it strange that a common procedure is a nose job. I've looked in the mirror plenty of times and wished I can be prettier or having a complete new face but not necessarily a change in any particular feature that's considered more beautiful. It's strange because there are a ton of girls beautiful with big/short/round/flat noses or with big/thin lips. Changing one of them isn't going to make one any more beautiful it's the whole face. Also, I haven't looked at anyone and said that if she had fuller lips or if she had a more narrow nose she'd be more beautiful. It's the whole face and the emotion behind the eyes in my opinion.

Hmm, I wish I saw it this way. I really do. I think I'd be much happier with my appearance.

I have always wanted that "classically beautiful" face. The one that no one could argue was anything other than perfect, based on proportion and bone structure. Unfortunately, I don't think I have it. I used to feel absolutely sick over my nose - as in, I would look in the mirror, and feel absolutely certain there was no way I could ever be happy in life because my nose was imperfect. It was large and soft and just atrocious, in my opinion. I always used to ask my parents if I could get a nose job. My mother had been talked into one by her parents (an unfortunate situation) when she was only 16. Needless to say, that had let to a lot of resentment between my mother and grandmother, and my grandmother really regrets putting my mother through that. Anyway, my parents would always say that if I still felt my nose was terrible when I was older, then I could have something done. They'd follow that up by telling me I was beautiful.

The urgency of doing something about my nose receded for awhile as I dealt with other things. Then, when I was 19, I saw some pictures of myself and felt the old feelings return. I told my parents I was sure about it, I wanted a nose job. We went to a consultation with a plastic surgeon, he mocked up some photos - like a "before/after" - and I was thrilled. I kept the images in my night table drawer and would look at them all the time to remind myself that I would one day be beautiful.

I had the surgery done a few months later. It was fairly easy. I refused to complain or feel sorry for myself during the recovery because, after all, I had done this to myself. Sure, sometimes looking in the mirror at my bruised face I would think, "What the hell have I done?" I looked like a battered woman. It was disturbing. When the cast came off and I saw my swollen new nose, I could barely keep it together. I burst into tears in a store later that day upon catching sight of my reflection. It felt like I'd mutilated myself.

Once the swelling began to go down, though, I could appreciate the more elegant shape of my nose. But something else happened: I noticed that one of my eyelids was a little uneven. It came down lower than the other. I panicked and wished I could go back in time to my initial consultation, and request the surgeon do something about my eyelid as well. What was the point in having gone through with a plastic surgery, only to find another physical defect in the aftermath?

The point of this (long-winded) story is that the pursuit of beauty can be addicting. And the saddest part about it all, for me at least, is that these are defects that exist largely in my head. Actually, I have to catch myself even now because these are not "defects." Defects would be having a deviated septum that made it difficult for me to breathe, or a problem with my vision. What I am describing are normal variations in the human body. It is a rare person who will be perfectly symmetrical. And in the end, what difference will it make? I am very fortunate to have friends who have a healthy relationship with their bodies and faces. They don't appreciate physical beauty beyond its place, especially not as it compares to other relevant issues. They take good care of themselves and can appreciate beauty in others, but their priorities are social, and intellectual, and emotional. Not superficial. It's incredibly grounding for me, though I often feel like the image-obsessed one in the group (probably because it's true).

I am still obsessed with beauty. I spend way too much money on make-up, and pride myself on being able to improve my appearance through careful application of cosmetics. I like being the make-up "expert" among friends, and love doing their make-up for them. I love even better that they feel more like themselves without it on. I only wish I could be so comfortable with myself. As for my insecurities and acknowledged body dysmorphia, I find that it ebbs and flows depending on how happy I am. It's a symptom, not the root of the problem. So, for instance, if I'm feeling happy in my work and in my life, I won't fixate on my slightly droopy eyelid. On the other hand, when things feel out of control, I immediately return to wanting to "fix" my imperfections, as if that would make everything better in my life.

Beauty is important. It definitely affects how we perceive the world around us, and ourselves. But beauty is just one among many, many virtues. Beauty doesn't feed people; it doesn't save lives; it doesn't end wars or injustice. This is all obvious, but sometimes I need to remind myself because I put beautiful people on a pedestal. *Sigh* Hopefully I'll be wiser in a few years... for now I'll continue shelling out $50 on blush that I swear defines my cheekbones.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Worker Bee

vlada could probably outstarve youvlada could probably outstarve youvlada could probably outstarve youvlada could probably outstarve you

Quote:

I know what you mean - I also like faces that are beautiful in an interesting way, as opposed to merely flawless. For example, I love the way Keira Knightley looks. Whereas I find Brittany Spear boring and plain, even though there isn't a single flaw I can see in her face (although she doesn't have high cheekbones). But there's got to be a harmony to the face, and there can't be a "fatal flaw.". For ex, if Keira Knightley had a bulbous nose, her face would be ruined. (I have this thing for noses - I think it's the most important feature and can make or break your face). And people like Jennifer Aniston and SJP objectively just aren't beautiful, if you ask me, bc they either have a fatal flaw (JA's nose and small eyes), or an unharmonious face (SJP's long face). See what I mean?

I also do feel that changing one feature can make someone more beautiful...for ex, I think Angelina's nose job took her face from a 7 to a 10 (again with the nose). Would you agree in her case?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:52 AM
SkinnyGossip Royal

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
classichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the communityclassichic is a true champion of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlada View Post
I know what you mean - I also like faces that are beautiful in an interesting way, as opposed to merely flawless. For example, I love the way Keira Knightley looks. Whereas I find Brittany Spear boring and plain, even though there isn't a single flaw I can see in her face (although she doesn't have high cheekbones). But there's got to be a harmony to the face, and there can't be a "fatal flaw.". For ex, if Keira Knightley had a bulbous nose, her face would be ruined. (I have this thing for noses - I think it's the most important feature and can make or break your face). And people like Jennifer Aniston and SJP objectively just aren't beautiful, if you ask me, bc they either have a fatal flaw (JA's nose and small eyes), or an unharmonious face (SJP's long face). See what I mean?

I also do feel that changing one feature can make someone more beautiful...for ex, I think Angelina's nose job took her face from a 7 to a 10 (again with the nose). Would you agree in her case?
I guess I don't know. I've never paid any attention to noses so I don't think Kiera would look better or worse if she had a certain type of nose. I actually think Jennifer Aniston is beautiful, i guess i like big and small eyes. But, I agree I don't find Sarah Jessica Parker that beautiful but it's not because of her nose but rather that she just looks old.
I didn't know that Angelina had a nose job. To be honest it looks the same to me but she does look better afterwards (according to google pics Before and after) but I wouldn't say it's because of her nose job but rather that her face has slimmed down quite a bit so I think this makes the face more pleasing.

I guess I just don't think about it enough. To me a celeb is either beautiful or not but I don't actually go if she had so and so she would look better. Same with myself. I just wish I was beautiful or at least considered beautiful to a few people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 25 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Star

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
kerrvaceous could probably outstarve youkerrvaceous could probably outstarve youkerrvaceous could probably outstarve youkerrvaceous could probably outstarve you

I feel this way too! All the people who say looks aren't important and blah blah blah...let's just say I strongly disagree. Looks are the first impression, and they do mean a lot, whether people like to admit it or not.

I admit that sometimes when I go to school I do look like a homeless person, but other times I clean up well and like to shock everyone. I don't think I'm gorgeous or anything, but I like the way I look, especially if I got a little skinnier. I never voice my opinions about the way people look, but I find myself judging quite a lot. It's not a matter of who I found better than who, and it's not something I do to make myself feel better or worse, it's just something I do like judging a horse's conformation almost. I don't think it's about pointing out flaws or anything, but I do really appreciate beautiful people. I think it stemmed from me doing dance, cheerleading, horse riding, and modeling throughout my earlier years, since all of those are very aesthetic activities where you're essentially judged not only on your performance, but how you make it look.

A huge part of beauty is definitely taking care of yourself and the way you present yourself. Working with what you have is extremely important--accepting defeat because it's something you can't fix is bad.

|
|
Old 07-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Worker Bee

Quote:
I guess I don't know. I've never paid any attention to noses so I don't think Kiera would look better or worse if she had a certain type of nose. I actually think Jennifer Aniston is beautiful, i guess i like big and small eyes. But, I agree I don't find Sarah Jessica Parker that beautiful but it's not because of her nose but rather that she just looks old.
I didn't know that Angelina had a nose job. To be honest it looks the same to me but she does look better afterwards (according to google pics Before and after) but I wouldn't say it's because of her nose job but rather that her face has slimmed down quite a bit so I think this makes the face more pleasing.

I guess I just don't think about it enough. To me a celeb is either beautiful or not but I don't actually go if she had so and so she would look better. Same with myself. I just wish I was beautiful or at least considered beautiful to a few people.
I actually find it very comforting that you find JA beautiful (even though I don't). It sort of gives me hope that even though I don't find myself beautiful, maybe there are people out there who do (you know, aside from my mother ). And ditto for the nose issue (since I dislike my own nose).

On that note, a quote that I find comforting (and apparently true) is: "There isn't a single woman whose beauty or ugliness all people agree on." ("Non si troverŗ una sola donna della cui bellezza o bruttezza tutti gli uomini convengano." Giacomo Leopardi)